Crucial mx500 1tb, Ssd m.2 vs 2.5 inch, which one is better for boot drive in gaming laptop?

m.daemi.id

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Crucial mx500 1tb, Ssd m.2 vs 2.5 inch, which one is better for boot drive in gaming laptop?
I could not find much info on what exactly is the difference in terms of speed and performance for laptops.
In most of benchmarks the m.2 or sata does not seem to matter... mostly the size and model makes the difference.
Do you see any benefit in using m.2 for the boot drive over sata ssd.
For example this new crucial mx500 that i just got.... and the new m.2 version of it that is coming next month... https://www.ultragamerz.com/crucial-micron-new-mx500-ssd-m-2-launch-q1-2018-ces/

Solution
For boot times and gaming you won't see an amazing difference between the two as you would going from HHD to SSD. The specs are impressive for M.2 drives but in gaming/Windows booting you save maybe 2-3 seconds. I only notice the strengths of this type of new storage is in things that take take advantage of the high memory bandwidth which isn't games or normal Windows usage. Things beyond M.2 like Optane/PCIe SSDs are completely overkill for gaming and general computing.

I would just buy a high capacity SSD and save some money. Upgrading to that new crucial drive isn't going to blow you away in terms of performance IMO.

jr9

Estimable
For boot times and gaming you won't see an amazing difference between the two as you would going from HHD to SSD. The specs are impressive for M.2 drives but in gaming/Windows booting you save maybe 2-3 seconds. I only notice the strengths of this type of new storage is in things that take take advantage of the high memory bandwidth which isn't games or normal Windows usage. Things beyond M.2 like Optane/PCIe SSDs are completely overkill for gaming and general computing.

I would just buy a high capacity SSD and save some money. Upgrading to that new crucial drive isn't going to blow you away in terms of performance IMO.

Solution