[SOLVED] Crucial MX500 Or Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD For 2nd Drive

Jul 14, 2020
Hello All,

Recently got a gaming laptop (Acer Predator Helios 300) and it comes with 256 GB NVME.

I've always preferred having a second hard drive, and in particular with any gaming computers. This is my first laptop in over a decade and so with it comes a choice.

I'm debating between getting the Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD or the Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD. They're both around the same price and within my budget.

So the question is, for a gaming PC do I opt in for the 860 EVO and sacrifice some storage space for some slightly better performance, or do I go with the Crucial which will give me more storage space presumably at a performance cost.

I'm curious what people think about this?

Solution
In normal consumer use, the warranty TBW number is highly overrated as an indication.
As you note,
Samsung makes 100% of the components that goes into their SSDs, that's why they have some of the highest reliability.

Also from the huge sample of people that buy their SSDs, you can get a very accurate idea of the reliability.

On top of that, the MX500 has problems with latency, which is talked about in this review.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crucial-mx500-ssd-review-nand,5390-5.html

In addition, the 860 evo has almost double the rated TBW as the MX500.

Also, older generation samsung SSDs have been endurance tested past 1PB of writes so they're severely underrating the longevity.
In normal consumer use, the...

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Samsung makes 100% of the components that goes into their SSDs, that's why they have some of the highest reliability.

Also from the huge sample of people that buy their SSDs, you can get a very accurate idea of the reliability.

On top of that, the MX500 has problems with latency, which is talked about in this review.

Also, older generation samsung SSDs have been endurance tested past 1PB of writes so they're severely underrating the longevity.

USAFRet

Titan
In normal consumer use, the warranty TBW number is highly overrated as an indication.
As you note,

As you note, many many drives will go far beyond that warranty number.

In actual consumer level use, it is highly unlikely to get to even 1/2 the whatever number before the warranty time ages out.
On the 7 physical SSD's in my current system (listed below), all of them combined don't reach to 100TBW.
A couple of these drives have been in constant use since late 2014.

The drive will age off of warranty long before it write cycles off warranty.

Yes, the Sammy is "better", but personally, I'd have zero issue with the MX500, and have indeed installed them in several other systems.
Given 1TB vs 500GB for the same price? No question...the MX500.

Solution