Crucial Offers Firmware Update For Crucial m4 SSD BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello new firmware. Me and my M4 drive have been waiting for you.

ps. For those other M4 users who are planning on updating the firmware, the install requires a blank CD and the ability to burn an ISO. Unfortunately, no USB pen drive option. Also, use a CD, not a DVD. I used a blank DVD at first and ran into some issues.

G

We were one of those initial companies hit by this. Our phone system is using microsoft's Lync (excellent) but our virtual host box would BSOD.

We went through swapping all sorts of troubleshooting with Intel - ended up swapping board, ram, backplane, cpu and power supply. Drives would test fine (because of that damn hour...)

Our business was essentially offline for a week (we're IT support, doesn't look good when our clients can't call us) until Crucial found and fixed the issue.

I am just very glad we didn't have the same system running on any of our client sites - it would have meant a lost client due to the time outage, regardless of whether it was our fault or not.

tecmo34

Administrator
Depends on what you consider old news?? :D

Crucial made note of the issue around the first part of January on their forum and provided the firmware update a week or so ago, so in that sense it is old news. Crucial kept the firmware update kind of quite (meaning no Press Releases or such), so unless you were looking for it, you might have missed it, so in that sense it is new news for some.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]did hdds ever have these firmware problems?[/citation]
Yes they do.
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Ill stick with Mechanical....Tried & Proven.[/citation]
And mechanical HDD can have mechanical failures in addition to firmware problems.
SSD do not have mechanical failures and they are faster.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Ill stick with Mechanical....Tried & Proven.[/citation]

You are not using PCs much, are you?
I have at least a dozen bricked HDDs from a selection of manufacturers over the years.
Made me a strong believer in the virtue of backups !

hedgehog1965uk

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I was having this BSOD problem and realised quite quickly that the cause was probably my M4 as it wasn't being detected on reboot. I just updated the firmware from version 0001 directly to 010G and this not only solved the BSOD problem, but my PC now boots twice as fast! The really great thing is that Crucial now provides a Windows updater for this that doesn't even require a boot disc to be created. One slight problem was that I also have a C300 SSD connected to my system and this initially seemed to confuse the updater, so I temporarily disconnected the C300 whilst I ran the updater again. Job done!

ntldr17

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Oke for everyone trying to update the firmware but is not able to detect your SSD, I've got a solution that worked for me.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: GA-H67A-UD3H-B3
SSD: Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSD it's the 128gb version

First of all I tried to update from USB and from Windows. Both didn't work I tried firmware 0309, 0009 and 010G. After a long search I decided to run 000F, which removes the 5000+ hour powersafe state. So I recommend 000F over the rest of the firmwares.

So what I did was:
1. Go to your bios and set your drives to AHCI (Instead of IDE).
2. Restart you computer and boot the firmware from your USB, now it should be able to run.
3. Go to your bios and set your drives back to IDE, I atleast I had to do this. (I got a bluescreen running in AHCI, so I couldn't start windows at all).

hedgehog1965uk

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Even though I solved my BSOD problem by updating the firmware to 010G, for the last couple of weeks I have been unable to get my BIOS to detect my M4 AT ALL. I have tried all the suggested solutions I could find here on Tom's Hardware and on Crucial's own forum, including the following

Running a power cycle (disconnecting SATA data connection and powering on SSD for 30 minutes).
Doing the above for 30 HOURS to allow for file "garbage collection" to take place.
Connecting the SSD to alternative SATA ports, including one driven by a Marvel controller on the mobo.
Changing SATA mode in BIOS from AHCI to IDE.

As my M4 is my boot drive, I have been unable to start my PC and am having to type this on an old PC I had lying around. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have no other ideas, and I really don't want to have to replace my M4 and loose data and have to reinstall everything.

rjackson64840

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
It's not a question of whether or not your drive will fail (mechanical or solid state makes no difference) it's only a question of when.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a Windows Home Server to backup your system(s). Then, when a problem arises you can restore your drive (or its replacement) in under an hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.