Question Crucial P5 2TB or Samsung 970 EVO plus 2TB for G14 pcie gen3 laptop (oh or samsung 980 pro)

seankor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Hey guys.

Would P5 in gen3 slot also overheat much more than 970EVO plus?
How would the performance be on gen 3 pcie slot are there any advatnages for the newer SSDs?

Any tests about battery consumption?

Am buying a 2TB version, but was thinking gen4 might come useful if I get a newer laptop this year or next as well. Although with things moving forwardso fast, probably when I get to it, there will be some newer and possibly better things then.
Actually just saw that 980 pro is the same price.

Prices here are kinda 165€ for 970 EVO, 186€ and 186€ for P5plus or 980pro. Buying for the main (and only drive) drive

I have G14 , the first iteration , so it can get a bit hot, but usually driving it without a boost so temps re OKish.

So mostly am concerned as I read temperatures for these drives in laptops can have some performance issues with over heating and throttling

Last edited:
NVMe SSDs will only have an issue with heat if they're actively doing something for extended periods of time, especially with writing to the thing because that takes more energy. So unless you're constantly moving data in and out of it, you're not going to hit a thermal performance issue. And if the SSD is getting hot enough to reach thermal throttling (which I'm going to assume is around 80C) without doing anything, you have bigger problems to worry about.

Regarding impact on battery life, the SSD is going to sit there most of the time, so there's almost 0 impact to it.