Question Crucial P5 NVME stopped working

kiva

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
So I just bought the P5 last week and it was working fine up until today. I use it as a secondary drive for games. Yesterday it was working, today I went to load up a game from steam and it said i needed to update the game. So I tried and there was no updates but steam came up with a popup and I clicked on it. Reading the page it took me to said I might have to reboot my pc or clear the cache and a few other things. Before I rebooted I went into file explorer to verify that the game files were there, then thought to myself it might be just a glitch. Rebooted my pc and opened file explorer again to go into the drive but now its not there. I went into disk management and its not there either. I then rebooted my pc to go into bios and it doesnt show there either, but I can see the other drives in both bios and windows. This is the first nvme Ive owned so I really dont know how to troubleshoot the drive. I didnt update anything overnight. Did it toast itself or is there some other tiny problem I dont see? I really dont want to pull the pc apart(watercooled hardlines and gpu has to be pulled) as Im thinking thats my only option.

Any solutions?

Does your PC;s mainboard have two NVME-capable slots?

Make sure both are enabled in BIOS (if applicable), power the rig down completely, and try the other slot, after confirming it is NVME -compatible...

If it is dead on both slots, the drive died...

Consult with Crucial on a warranty/replacement claim...

kiva

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2013
Does your PC;s mainboard have two NVME-capable slots?

Make sure both are enabled in BIOS (if applicable), power the rig down completely, and try the other slot, after confirming it is NVME -compatible...

If it is dead on both slots, the drive died...

Consult with Crucial on a warranty/replacement claim...

Interesting thing just happened. When I got up for work this morning I turned off my pc for the day so I didnt have to later. Then when I got home out of curiousity I turned on my pc and now the nvme is reading again. So either its a fluke or heat issue or some dirty trick is going on. My mobo is a Asus x570-e and even though theres a tiny fan that blows air through a channel to the nvme I wonder if thats not enough air and if I should take off the panels to let the case fans do their job(9 fans in my case).