Crucial Reveals Memory for New Mac Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

john768

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Reminds me of the Mac specific 7950's that came in white and had a reference cooler and had a $250 premium on the after market cooled ones.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Mac memory...
That means regular Ram, but with a high price, am I right?

Not quite. First, any RAM like this WILL be more costly than what we use for gaming rigs: ECC support is only enabled in workstation/server targeted RAM and comes with an extra price. Mac Pros are, after all, marketed as workstations and are equipped with workstation hardware (Xeons, ECC RAM and so on).

However, it *is* sane to assume that it WILL cost more than "normal" ECC 1866 MHz RAM from the same brand without a "for Mac" tag. Happens every time.

Reminds me of the Mac specific 7950's that came in white and had a reference cooler and had a $250 premium on the after market cooled ones.

Not just the 7950s. I've checked Mac Pro configs back when they had 5870s and it cost TWICE the price of an actual 5870 to add one more to the config. Blatant ripoff, again, happens every time.

Don't get me wrong, Mac Pros are nice workstations and all (if you don't know the difference between WS/server hardware and gaming/consumer hardware - i.e. Xeon, FirePro, Quadro, ECC RAM etc vs desktop gaming cards, i7s and so on - then go learn it first) but they cost nearly twice of what the hardware inside them is worth. If you want to pay double just for looks (which, IMO, are pathetic compared to NZXT Phantom and Switch and H-series cases), go ahead, but please be conscious that you are wasting resources (money) just because you CBA to have a "huge box" under your desk. Please custom-build and give the second half of the money to charities if you got extra to throw around, don't feed greedy insolent "premium" brands.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
@amk-aka-Phantom

Go to crucial.com. Compare the price difference between regular RAM and ECC RAM. It's negligable. ECC is nothing but regular RAM with a parity bit. They come from the same plants and have the same hardware failure rate. They just have a safety against single bit errors. So yeah, charging $200 extra on standard RAM prices for a mid-range 1.866GHz module is... Well, typical Apple stuff. :)

scooterboi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Sooo, i got a challenge for you all-knowing-toms-commenter, build me a 12 core xeon workstation that equals the new mac pro maxed configs with less price.

How long will you guys still in denial? This new macpro are actually the best bang for the buck on workstation market. Inb4 hurrdurr trashcan.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
@scooterboi

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/precision-workstations
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/z230.html
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/workstations/thinkstation/workstation/

...and pretty much any other manufacturer of workstations. First of all, Apple workstations are pretty low-end compared to what you get from any other brand. Second of all, any other brand will let you scale a workstation up to really big configurations if you need that for a single user. Those are the reasons the above three brands sit on around 95% of the Workstation market shares.

The only, and I mean only, reason you buy a Mac Pro is because you don't understand what a workstation is.

scooterboi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
@therealduckofdeath
the dell one, maybe their website is currently having an error and cant be configure to 12core, but their starting point is already higher than the macpro
the hp one priced 10 grand despite only having 16gb ram, and NO VIDEO CARD
the Lenovo one soared up to 20k when configured to 12c xeon with dual mid-end quadro

so you failed the challenge bro, try again.
Compare the price difference between regular RAM and ECC RAM. It's negligable. ECC is nothing but regular RAM with a parity bit. They come from the same plants and have the same hardware failure rate. They just have a safety against single bit errors.
ahhh I see, you definitely "know" what a workstation is. /s/

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Let me guess, you're picking the biggest Dell Workstation case and compares it with a Mac that cannot fit even a 4th of the hardware you can squeeze into that Workstation case? Try again mate.

If you don't believe me regarding what Unbuffered ECC RAM is, look it up. I've been working with servers for more than fifteen years.

Status
Not open for further replies.