Crucial Rolls Out New M500 Series SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Samsung and crucial both have good reliability but samsung has faster write speeds. Remember when the Samsung 830 256gb was 390. Now you an get almost double for almost the same price.

pyrotek85

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Not only is that a great price for 960GB, but the read and write speeds are still very good. You don't have to sacrifice speed for capacity.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Anandtech did a run down of all 4 capacities and 480/960GB drives perform extremely well. The 960GB for $600 is an unheard of deal on the price/GB curve for SSD's. Although $600 is still a huge price to pay for a storage drive, with this newer higher-density NAND we're getting another step closer to no longer requiring a small SSD for the OS and a big mechanical drive for data. One fast SSD can store everything now (for most users at least) and laptops will now have options for 480GB mSATA drives.

Higher-capacity NAND is also important for increasing the capacity of SD cards, USB drives, and other flash storage devices. 128GB MicroSDXC cards and smaller, higher-capacity flash drives are on the horizon. This is a huge step by Micron.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

This is what I am talking about. I will absolutely grab this SSD when it hit the shelves and place my current SSD into either my father in-law's MacBook Pro or my bro's mini-ITX pc that I built him. I just want to see it in stores in Canada and I will just go and grab one. Goodbye mechanical HDD!

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
wonder how it stacks up? Its slower in most cases against the leading performance SSD's. Anandtech said the M500 took more of an endurance standpoint at a performance loss by avoiding TLC NAND and keeping with smaller MLC NAND. Their performance suffers compared to some 840 non pro benchmarks. But something about IO consistency is the highlight of the M500. Im no pro, just repeating what i read. So the M500 isnt a top performer, but regardless crucial drives are reliable and thats what matters most to consumers, my brother loves his M4.

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
wonder how it stacks up? Its slower in most cases against the leading performance SSD's. Anandtech said the M500 took more of an endurance standpoint at a performance loss by avoiding TLC NAND and keeping with smaller MLC NAND. Their performance suffers compared to some 840 non pro benchmarks. But something about IO consistency is the highlight of the M500. Im no pro, just repeating what i read. So the M500 isnt a top performer, but regardless crucial drives are reliable and thats what matters most to consumers, my brother loves his M4.

Status
Not open for further replies.