News Crucial Says Chia Cryptomining Voids SSD Warranty, Then Backs Down

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
People wasting the world's limited resources in another desperate attempt to avoid honest work? At this point, I'm so annoyed by these worthless parasites, I'd ban them from public gatherings, not just void the warranty on the hardware they're destroying. Crucial shouldn't have backed out.

Reactions: Augusstus

Co BIY

Splendid
I'm sympathetic to companies that have their warranties abused in a new an innovative way.

If I develop an auto treadmill that can run my cars engine 24hrs a day (but no miles on the odo) to power my crypto farm I could understand why the auto manufacturer might not want to cover the claims that result.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Don't warranties automatically end when the drive's TBW rating is exceeded? I don't see why SSD manufacturers would have to make any changes to their warranty policy specific to chia farming. If you exceed the rating in 6 weeks, too bad. Warranty is over. If a vehicle has a 3 year 36000 mile warranty and you drive 36000 miles in 9 months, everyone knows the warranty ends then.

Co BIY

Splendid
It's really no buisness of Crucial what the drive has been used for, if the drive is within it's warranty period and warranted write limit then the warranty claim is legitimate, if either of these is exceeded it is not. Use is irrelevant.

It is literally their business.

Might they have to suck up some losses because they made a legal promise to warranty their product without knowing that a new use case would develop that made their average wear assumptions wrong. Yes they might.

People wasting the world's limited resources in another desperate attempt to avoid honest work? At this point, I'm so annoyed by these worthless parasites, I'd ban them from public gatherings, not just void the warranty on the hardware they're destroying. Crucial shouldn't have backed out.
to be fair "honest work" isnt the reality for many ppl.
its basically slave labor where your job doesnt care for you, only your results, while also paying you the bare minimum when thats barely enoguh to surive let alone save and be comfortable in old age.

D

Deleted member 2783327

to be fair "honest work" isnt the reality for many ppl.
its basically slave labor where your job doesnt care for you, only your results, while also paying you the bare minimum when thats barely enoguh to surive let alone save and be comfortable in old age.

Then take back much of what paltry amount you get in taxes. And that's assuming you can even get an honest job, or a job of any sort. When people are desperate they will jump at any opportunity. And if you have a family to support, well...

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

LOL...... many things done by pple are a pure waste of resources......wasting power on gaming which is non-productive. Its entertainment, buying and shorting stocks, even worse smoking and drinking.

Of course, nothing beats america.... Their existence is a pure waste of resources....Waiting for russia and china to nuke america to oblivion.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Don't warranties automatically end when the drive's TBW rating is exceeded? I don't see why SSD manufacturers would have to make any changes to their warranty policy specific to chia farming. If you exceed the rating in 6 weeks, too bad. Warranty is over. If a vehicle has a 3 year 36000 mile warranty and you drive 36000 miles in 9 months, everyone knows the warranty ends then.

Yes, warranty ends when TBW rating is exceeded. Regardless of whether its exceed in 3 months or 3yrs, it doesn't matter. And then, how pple going to exceed it doesn't matter as well. Regardless of mining etc... its simply just read/write to the SSD.

LOL...... many things done by pple are a pure waste of resources......wasting power on gaming which is non-productive. Its entertainment, buying and shorting stocks, even worse smoking and drinking.

Of course, nothing beats america.... Their existence is a pure waste of resources....Waiting for russia and china to nuke america to oblivion.

You doing alright over there? Need someone to talk to or something? This is a tech forum so maybe cool down on the genocide talk.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I think you misunderstood, while drives are their business, if I purchase their drives it is none of their concern (or business, they have no say in the matter once I buy it) whether I use them for crypto or hang them on my Christmas tree for ornaments.
All they need to worry about is honoring their warranty as stated, regardless.

It is literally their business.

Reactions: InvokePhotography

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I think you misunderstood, while drives are their business, if I purchase their drives it is none of their concern (or business, they have no say in the matter once I buy it) whether I use them for crypto or hang them on my Christmas tree for ornaments.
All they need to worry about is honoring their warranty as stated, regardless.
No, it is not their business what you specifically are doing with the drive, but it absolutely is their business to monitor the market and see what consumers are using their drives for and make adjustments to any new usage patterns. Most consumer mechanical drives are not rated for 24/7 operation. The official spec sheets will tell you how many hours a day they are rated for. I don't know if consumer SSD's have limited power on hours as well, as pre-Chia it never would have been an issue either way. If there are hours limitations that the user ignored and they file a warranty claim, then it instantly does become the manufacturers concern how you were using their drive, since it is not their responsibility to replace drives that were run out of spec.

But yet the world won't do a damn thing, they're just big babies! Including the cuck country you're from!

One possibility is that performing heavy writes on a consumer drive 24/7 could result in the drive operating at much higher average temperatures than it is designed for, potentially resulting in an increase in failures even before the write limit is exceeded. With your car example, it might be comparable to getting a passenger car and driving it around a race track at high-speeds all day, every day, then expecting the manufacturer to cover any hardware failures resulting from that.

There's also the possibility that a miner burning through SSDs could purposely subject them to adverse conditions to encourage them to fail prior to their endurance being used up so that they can trade them in while still under warranty and repeat the process with fresh drives. SSD manufacturers might be seeing a marked increase in SSD warranty claims in recent months, hence these updates their warranty policies and reductions to advertised endurance ratings.