Question Crucial Storage Executive (latest) not running on Win 10 Pro. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2020
I have a MX500 SATA drive. Latest Win 10 Pro and updates. CSE v5 launches a splash screen for 2 seconds then: nothing; no app screen, no processes. I have seen the same question posted 3 years ago (but no answers). I tried Safe Mode boot, reinstallation, with no luck. I have Java installed; I also have ESET A/V installed (not sure if this is a problem, or what to disable in ESET). Any help much appreciated, thank you. MJS.

Jan 9, 2020
Thank you for your fast reply. Much appreciated. With regard to your 2 questions, the answer is "yes" to both (64-bit and v5.05).

My goal is in fact solely to check/update the firmware; the SSD is on a Firewire/USB-C bridge, externally. About 18 months ago (using previous versions of Win 10 and CSE) I was able to do just this with an external MX500. Now, no joy.

NOTE that I cannot use the Crucial Linux-based firmware updater, as it has no Firewire driver for my laptop (a Dell XPS-13 9370).

I was suspicious of my Acronis True Image 2020 backup software, as it now includes an "anti-ransomware" layer, which rather fiercely guards the external (backup) drive. However, I disabled their protection with no success.

Regards, M.

Feb 15, 2020
I don't know if it will help you or not. Maybe it might help someone else who sees this thread in the future. I've had this problem for months now, after purchasing my MX500 1TB. I tried other suggestions around the interwebs, with regards to Rivatuner, amongst other things.

I tried eliminating my Squid Proxy Cache, and StoreMI. I have AMD Radeon RAMDisk installed. All I had to do was disable/stop it through the AMD Radeon RAMDisk config utility. Not sure how or why it caused issues, but Crucial Storage Executive runs now. If you have something similar, or anything that creates virtual drives, it might be worth looking into.

Jan 9, 2020
I don't know if it will help you or not. Maybe it might help someone else who sees this thread in the future. I've had this problem for months now, after purchasing my MX500 1TB. I tried other suggestions around the interwebs, with regards to Rivatuner, amongst other things.

I tried eliminating my Squid Proxy Cache, and StoreMI. I have AMD Radeon RAMDisk installed. All I had to do was disable/stop it through the AMD Radeon RAMDisk config utility. Not sure how or why it caused issues, but Crucial Storage Executive runs now. If you have something similar, or anything that creates virtual drives, it might be worth looking into.

Thank you for your help, LordReserei! Although I don't have AMD RAMDisk installed, you gave me an idea which has proven very successful (and like your information, may prove useful to others).

I have a 2nd license of Win 10 Pro running on a Parallels VM under a macOS "Catalina" host. I installed the latest CSE version on this Win10 and it started up with a Windows Firewall warning about Java connections. I allowed these and immediately had a running Crucial Storage Exec! Next I plugged in, in turn, each of my two Crucial MX500 drives, mounted in external USB 3.1 bridges. After manually "assigning" each drive to the VM the CSE was able to read each drive and check the firmware (up to date).

It's disappointing (and somewhat weird) that I still can't run CSE on a "real" Win 10 host! I shall go back and check my firewall. Regardless, I am now able to check/update firmware, which is great.

Cheers, M.

Reactions: LordReserei
Jul 19, 2020
I have a MX500 SATA drive. Latest Win 10 Pro and updates. CSE v5 launches a splash screen for 2 seconds then: nothing; no app screen, no processes. I have seen the same question posted 3 years ago (but no answers). I tried Safe Mode boot, reinstallation, with no luck. I have Java installed; I also have ESET A/V installed (not sure if this is a problem, or what to disable in ESET). Any help much appreciated, thank you. MJS.

Hi,

Have you solved your problem already?

I have exactly the same problem with my Crucial MX500 SSD.

I updated to the latest Win 10 (with new features) yesterday. I have turn off ALL apps running on the background. But still cannot load the Crucial Storage Executive.

If you have already solved your problem, would you please give me some advice?

Thanks a lot.

Jan 9, 2020
Hi SSD Cat.

Yes, My problem was recently resolved by Crucial releasing a new and quite different version of CSE. It seems the issue was somehow due to CSE using a web browser as a GUI interface. Please download the very latest version from Crucial and let me know if it now works. Regareds, MJS.

Status
Not open for further replies.