Crucial Study Finds that Computers Cause Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
until highend gpu cannot render realtime avatar quality rendered graphics in 60+ fps for video games,, we are not satisfied with our computer performance.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
94% of consumers are too stupid to uninstall the bloatware that comes with new computers. Also, they download EVERYTHING on the internet and install it. I've seen it happen too many times.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Losers. Get an SSD, an i3 and 4-8 GB of RAM and stop complaining. Oh, and get a life while you're at it, computers might create problems they don't solve but there won't be airport security, finances, taxes and other stuff without them, so STFU and deal with it.

Also, stress over choosing what to wear? Seriously? Seriously? I don't think I can take the survey seriously, the respondents seem to be whiny drama queens.

ickarumba1

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Was anyone else initially fooled by the title?
"Crucial study" made me think of a well-researched, peer-reviewed study with a very convincing conclusion.
When reading the article, I found that the study is the complete opposite of what I originally thought it would be.

whitey_rolls1984

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
A good chunk of this too could come from the corporate world as well. I worked at a place from 2008 to 2011 and my computer there caused me stress. It was a job where I would get a phone call and be expected to use my computer in order to discuss matters with a client. My computer was like a p4 with 256 mb of memory.

Thankfully the place I'm at now just gave me a $1,800 HP laptop with a Core I7, Nvidia workstation GPU and 8 gigs of memory - no more stress.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Well duh, when you spend $299 or $399 at Walmart on your computer, of COURSE YOU'RE GOING TO BE UNHAPPY WITH ITS PERFORMANCE.

Spend a little extra money and get a decent system. Get an SSD, a decent CPU and a $150 video card.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]My little Macs are not causing me any stress that I'm aware of ....and TBH I don't turn my PC on enough to cause me stress at all.[/citation]
Well, spending a fortune for them is considered to be stressful by some.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]My little Macs are not causing me any stress that I'm aware of ....and TBH I don't turn my PC on enough to cause me stress at all.[/citation]Did you pay $299 for your Mac?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]whitey_rolls1984[/nom]A good chunk of this too could come from the corporate world as well. I worked at a place from 2008 to 2011 and my computer there caused me stress. It was a job where I would get a phone call and be expected to use my computer in order to discuss matters with a client. My computer was like a p4 with 256 mb of memory. Thankfully the place I'm at now just gave me a $1,800 HP laptop with a Core I7, Nvidia workstation GPU and 8 gigs of memory - no more stress.[/citation]

Back in 2010 or so, I recall seeing a company still using Windows NT 4.0. Small surprise that almost all of the employees were unhappy.

At my school, all of the teachers got new laptops. Many of them picked the Macbook Pro, only to realize that a good portion of the education software were not compatible with the OS.

As for our computer labs, about a quarter of our computers are either in the repair shop, malfunctioning (purple-tinted or fuzzy monitors, or can't boot), or are partially dissembled and lying around in the labs. Also, they're all P4 computers, and the internet connection and servers suck as well.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I love my computers, they relieve my stress not add to them. I can see a huge part of this being from companies still using very old, slow computers those can cause a LOT of stress.

obsama1

Distinguished
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Well duh, when you spend $299 or $399 at Walmart on your computer, of COURSE YOU'RE GOING TO BE UNHAPPY WITH ITS PERFORMANCE. Spend a little extra money and get a decent system. Get an SSD, a decent CPU and a $150 video card.[/citation]

An average consumer doesn't need a $150 GPU. They're fooled into buying computers based on:
# of cores
Amount of RAM
Price

Then they download everything that says DOWNLOAD and they get upset when it gets slow. The average consumer just needs an i3, SSD, 4GB of RAM, and an 6450.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]My little Macs are not causing me any stress that I'm aware of ....and TBH I don't turn my PC on enough to cause me stress at all.[/citation]
Good for you, just to show the other side I know quite a few people who can't stand their Macs and have constant problems with them, most of them gave up on Apple and switched to a PC and are happy.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]An average consumer doesn't need a $150 GPU. They're fooled into buying computers based on:# of coresAmount of RAMPriceThen they download everything that says DOWNLOAD and they get upset when it gets slow. The average consumer just needs an i3, SSD, 4GB of RAM, and an 6450.[/citation]

Even a good integrated graphics is enough... my work PC is an i5-2400 with 8GB of RAM and no dedicated GPU and it never stresses me. On the other hand, tiny netbooks that every fool out there buys and then brings to us to fix DO stress me out. You get what you pay for, people, stop buying into the "ultraportable/ultracheap" BS, your nerves are not worth it.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]There are more important things out there than worrying about computer performance. Get a life.[/citation]

Schedule for today: Finish the report due today, start a video conference with the clients, and work on the Power Point presentation that needs to be ready in three hours.

Your computer today: Window's Data Execution Protection has shut down MS Word, MS Power Point, and the software that runs the video conferencing. The tech department is currently busy with a major server crash.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]An average consumer doesn't need a $150 GPU. They're fooled into buying computers based on:# of coresAmount of RAMPriceThen they download everything that says DOWNLOAD and they get upset when it gets slow. The average consumer just needs an i3, SSD, 4GB of RAM, and an 6450.[/citation] No they don't need a $150 GPU, but all too often they have onboard graphics, buy a game off the shelf and complain they can't play it, or download an HD video and complain it's choppy. I'm just listing off things to buy so they don't ever have a reason to complain.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Good for you, just to show the other side I know quite a few people who can't stand their Macs and have constant problems with them, most of them gave up on Apple and switched to a PC and are happy.[/citation] You're mixing tenses...You're also probably not telling the truth. I've worked with Macs and PC's since the 80's and can assure you PC's are far more trouble than Mac's. I've never known a Mac user switch to Wintel PC's due to Mac OS or hardware problems. If they did make a swap it was for software that was unavailable on a Mac (usually games). Most of the gamers have since switched back to Mac and use consoles. I still use home built PC's for gaming and I get problems with these despite buying quality components.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Schedule for today: Finish the report due today, start a video conference with the clients, and work on the Power Point presentation that needs to be ready in three hours.Your computer today: Window's Data Execution Protection has shut down MS Word, MS Power Point, and the software that runs the video conferencing. The tech department is currently busy with a major server crash.[/citation]Stop getting your computer infected and you won't have that problem. Major server crashes are pretty rare. If they are common where you work, hire new IT people. Our company has deployed many many servers, all have long up-times of multiple years. Rarely does one crash and it's usually because a UPS died when the power went out.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Computers love to do this to me at work. Not so much at home. At work the Linux machines just love to spontaneously kill themselves. They self destruct with error messages that don't make any sense, or something that worked fine in a previous version is now completely screwed up. The Windows machines randomly decide they don't like the network and take days off. My favorite recent problem was a machine that somehow mangled its group policy and decided the user could not log off, reboot, or shutdown thus requiring holding in the power button. For the Macs, character encoding tends to be a problem, and the people who use them tend to do really brilliant stuff like press enter at the end of every line instead of letting word wrap do it for them. I don't even want to talk about Java and its amazing ability to generate dozens of exceptions just because you moved some code from 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.7.

Problems with software and users are the most common. We also get really fun hardware stuff like buying tons of new machines only to find out that Intel or the vendor disabled VT-d support. WE NEED THIS -- STOP TURNING IT OFF! Then we get to figure out how to send them back. Sometimes we buy new machines and then get complaints about them overheating or burning people, like a recent ultrabook that was purchased. There's also a recent Windows tablet that was bought that would randomly throttle itself down to 66 MHz and stay there for a bit driving users wild with unresponsiveness.

So yes, computers do absolutely cause stress. The software is mostly to blame. However, the hardware is never fast enough either.

No they don't need a $150 GPU, but all too often they have onboard graphics, buy a game off the shelf and complain they can't play it, or download an HD video and complain it's choppy. I'm just listing off things to buy so they don't ever have a reason to complain.

Actually the on-board GPU of the Intel Core i5 (Intel 3000, 4000 series) would serve most typical household PC consumer's GPU needs. Anyone who is not knowledgeable enough to know that they can't play BF3 on their newly purchased Dell desktop from Best Buy for $499 probably shouldn't be attempting to game in the first place.

G

My Compaq CQ56-115DX laptop has a single core AMD-V cpu with 2gb of DDR3 and the bottom of the barrel specs. Yet, when i remove all bloated software, update to the latest drivers, optimize the registry, and choose which programs to run on bare minimum, the laptop runs fine, and as decent compared to top of the line core i7 pc laptop that isn't optimized. In all, i am not that stressed with my laptop, just disappointed what the lawyers with the Nvidia GPU litigation did to its customers.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]Actually the on-board GPU of the Intel Core i5 (Intel 3000, 4000 series) would serve most typical household PC consumer's GPU needs. Anyone who is not knowledgeable enough to know that they can't play BF3 on their newly purchased Dell desktop from Best Buy for $499 probably shouldn't be attempting to game in the first place.[/citation]Absolutely, I agree. Unfortunately the general computer user really is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.