Review Crucial T700 SSD Review: The Temporary King

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
A very insightful review of this product and PCI 5.0 NVM-e SSDs relevance today. I just bought a Solidigm P44 2TB for $129.00. This review made me feel even better about my purchase.

Eh, with the mentioning of heatsinks, it might have been good to include a temp graph!

Just what temps are the drives hitting when they are being tested?
I've added details on the temperatures of the drives during testing. This is worst-case write-heavy tests, so Iometer and DiskBench. Iometer wrote 2.95TB during our test sequence that lasts nine and a half minutes, while the larger Asus heatsink managed just over 3 TB of data written.

For DiskBench, copying 300GB of data to the drive, the Crucial heatsink hit 51C while the Asus heatsink hit 38C. With the sustained write saturation testing, the Crucial heatsink peaked at 87C, which is the throttling point. Then it would slow down for a second (less than a second?) and the drive would stay in the 85~86C range.

harleyspawn

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I would like to have seen a benchmark of this drive but connected to a PCIe 4.0 slot; just to get a good idea of how it would perform in a recent (but not bleeding-edge) motherboard. If it's got performance on-par with the leading PCIe 4.0 drives, then it may make sense to get this drive while waiting for the next must-have upgrade to the motherboard/CPU. If it's going to perform like a mid-tier PCIe 4.0 drive, then it makes sense to go with a top-tier PCIe 4.0 drive instead of this one if you're going to keep using something like an AMD 5000-series or Intel 11th or 12th gen CPU for a few more years.

Reactions: kiniku
I would like to have seen a benchmark of this drive but connected to a PCIe 4.0 slot; just to get a good idea of how it would perform in a recent (but not bleeding-edge) motherboard. If it's got performance on-par with the leading PCIe 4.0 drives, then it may make sense to get this drive while waiting for the next must-have upgrade to the motherboard/CPU. If it's going to perform like a mid-tier PCIe 4.0 drive, then it makes sense to go with a top-tier PCIe 4.0 drive instead of this one if you're going to keep using something like an AMD 5000-series or Intel 11th or 12th gen CPU for a few more years.
We could limit the PCIe slot to Gen4 speeds. But why? This drive costs over twice as much as a top-tier Gen4 drive of similar capacity. If you don't have a Gen5 slot, there's no reason to buy it. Latency isn't better, random QD1 performance isn't better, and power consumption is far higher. It's all about the raw bandwidth.

You'd be far better off buying a good Gen4 drive, and then if/when you upgrade your motherboard to something that supports PCIe 5.0 drives, you could probably buy a future Gen5 drive for the same price as the Gen4 drive, and still come out ahead. That's what I'd recommend doing.

If it were a case of spending maybe 20% more for the potential upgrade in the future, yes, that might be worth considering. But when we're looking at $340 for the 2TB model, and the Samsung 990 Pro 2TB costs half that, or the Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB goes for $130? It just doesn't make much sense without a Gen5 platform to run the SSD. We can only hope that the PCIe 5.0 price premium comes way down in the near future, because as fast as this drive is, it's not worth more than $200 in my book.

Amdlova

Distinguished
I use a pci4 ssd on pci 3 speed. And what I got? Pci 3 speeds but the highest temp with out a huge heat sink is 54°c. The motherboard works on 40°c or more. Have poor to none ventilation on the case. But these new pci5 it's too hot for most users. I want my fan cases spinning at 490 550 rpm little noise to none These ssds will fry

I've added details on the temperatures of the drives during testing. This is worst-case write-heavy tests, so Iometer and DiskBench. Iometer wrote 2.95TB during our test sequence that lasts nine and a half minutes, while the larger Asus heatsink managed just over 3 TB of data written.

For DiskBench, copying 300GB of data to the drive, the Crucial heatsink hit 51C while the Asus heatsink hit 38C. With the sustained write saturation testing, the Crucial heatsink peaked at 87C, which is the throttling point. Then it would slow down for a second (less than a second?) and the drive would stay in the 85~86C range.
Dang! They get hot! Will be active cooling on them in no time, if not already!

I get that these are temps at the higher end though.

Dang! They get hot! Will be active cooling on them in no time, if not already!

I get that these are temps at the higher end though.
Do note that the Inland TD510 has a tiny little fan to help cool it down. The Corsair MP700 originally was going to have a similar design, but ended up dropping the heatsink and fan option. (Probably because the fan sucked and wasn't a great experience. I have one of those original drives!) The new "solution" is that you just need a big heatsink on it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
This is not bad, I'd have a hard time buying this though since I don't see anywhere on their spec sheet power loss protection (crucial's higher end stuff used to have pretty decent protection).
But if you don't need that it's up there for the ones needing the speed.
Their drives have been solid for me on both mobile and desktop, and they even used to (not sure if still do) offer a RAM caching system with their software to speed things up even more on some workloads, if you have enough RAM.

g-unit1111

Titan
A very insightful review of this product and PCI 5.0 NVM-e SSDs relevance today. I just bought a Solidigm P44 2TB for $129.00. This review made me feel even better about my purchase.

Yeah I just bought the SK Hynix P41 Platinum for my new rig, and I'm glad I didn't decide to pay 3x the price for not a whole lot gained in SSD performance.

Reactions: kiniku

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I'm curious why you did not include this benchmark in this review like you have with your prior SSD reviews.
sJQmxS5LnSHwypnLHZraSR-970-80.png.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.