News Crucial takes aim for the sweet spot with DDR5 Pro Memory Overclocking Edition running at DDR5-6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
How they can have a "Pro" line without even an ECC option is mystifying to me.

I'm aware that you can buy ECC DIMMs under the Micron brand, but they badly lag behind on speed and I doubt they support XMP or EXPO.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
How they can have a "Pro" line without even an ECC option is mystifying to me.

I'm aware that you can buy ECC DIMMs under the Micron brand, but they badly lag behind on speed and I doubt they support XMP or EXPO.
ECC is less about speed and more about reliability.

Most "enthusiast" RAM is actually way outside of the specified standards, so when ECC sticks with the standards, people complain, but that's actually what DDR4/5 have specified, much much slower than what the "gaming" RAM speeds achieve, and for a very good reason.

If you do not care about accuracy and reliability, just steer away from it, since that is the only concern for ECC users, and comments like yours just show how outside of the target users you are.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
ECC is less about speed and more about reliability.
Which is what most Professionals I know want from their machines. Because, if you're using your PC for your livelihood, then reliability is the most important thing.

Most "enthusiast" RAM is actually way outside of the specified standards, so when ECC sticks with the standards, people complain, but that's actually what DDR4/5 have specified, much much slower than what the "gaming" RAM speeds achieve, and for a very good reason.
Yes, most ECC memory tends to adhere to JEDEC standards. However, there are exceptions:

comments like yours just show how outside of the target users you are.
If it's not really intended for professionals, maybe they shouldn't call "Pro", then? There are countless other things they could've called it...

Reactions: TJ Hooker

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Those modules look absolutely pathetic unless they are dirt cheap.

No ECC for "Pro", < 32GB, just DDR5-6000 that you can do with pretty much anything non-Micron starting from a year ago and that at 1.35V (my 4800 Samsung does 6000 at just 1.17).

So pretty much everything is bad about those modules.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Ballistix was ballistix (and not "Crucial") because they used memory chips from other manufacturers. I guess Crucial isn't doing that anymore and so there is no sense of wasting money promoting a brand when the brand has no meaning...

People that are bragging they could get this performance from other brands don't realize that crucial ram is probably the most conservatively rated ramp in the universe so the fact that it does DDR5-6000 means it probably does DDR-6600 in nine times out of 10

phxrider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
Jeezus people, get over the name already. It's mid-range enthusiast memory, and like the previous poster said, being Crucial, it's probably conservatively rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.