Question crucial test says their 3200 ram will work in my system that takes 2400

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
The Crucial site offers a test of your system to see what RAM it can use. Its in a laptop.
Their test says I can use two sticks of 3200 ram. The motherboard is supposed to be 2400.
From what I've read the worst it can do is run at 2400.
It has 8gb and 4gb 2400. Now it will have 2 x 8gb 3200

Anybody have experience with this?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What laptop are we talking about? Full model # and specs would be ideal.

While 3200 will typically "work", if there's a BIOS or CPU limitation, it'll only do so at JEDEC profiles- so 2133 or 2400, depending.

The reason you'll typically find recommendations going this route, is process maturity & demand.
There's simply more demand for 3200MHz (or higher) kits than there is at 2133/2400MHz & it's become easier & easier to do so - So more kits are produced at 3000MHz+, than at 2133/2400 (if any of those are even produced at all anymore)

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
Its a HP 15-cc184CL
It has 12GB 2400
Crucial runs a test of your system. That's why I bought the 3200. If it's just a sales scam I'll send the 3200's back... or at least I'll upgrade it from 12 to 16.
I'll run some benchmarks to see if it actually does anything. I'm also upgrading to a SSD so it may be hard to see if it makes any difference since I'm doing both at the same time.
As for the bios limitations, would their test show what it can really do.with the current bios settings.
Do you believe the test that they use?

hardware details

Last edited:
Its a HP 15-cc184CL
It has 12GB 2400
Crucial runs a test of your system. That's why I bought the 3200. If it's just a sales scam I'll send the 3200's back... or at least I'll upgrade it from 12 to 16.
I'll run some benchmarks to see if it actually does anything. I'm also upgrading to a SSD so it may be hard to see if it makes any difference since I'm doing both at the same time.
As for the bios limitations, would their test show what it can really do.with the current bios settings.
Do you believe the test that they use?

hardware details
I think you will find the 3200 ram will clock down to 2400 speed.
Crucial will sell you 2400 or 3200 sticks for the laptop same price.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
I called crucial support and they say that the 3200 will only run at 2400 going by the specs for my system,. so their test system is a joke. Its a trick to sell you junk.
I wanted to return only one of the two sticks but they said I can't do that.
Oh well maybe the crucial 8 will be better than the kingston 8 that it will replace plus the the second one will give me 16 instead of 12 at 2400.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
I meant that the test software to determine the type of ram it needs is not really of any use.
It says that 3200 can be used but that is not true. ( or maybe it is, we will see )
I'll install the two sticks of 3200 and see what happens.
Its not a major problem just annoying.
I'll have it working with the new samsung SSD this weekend.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
like we said before there a JEDEC profiles that work with slower speed
This is how the CPU benchmark looks with the new ram.

Looks like it is recognized as 3200 and runs at 2400.
When it says max bandwidth 3200 does it mean it can actually reach 3200 or that it could if the JEDEC was adjusted?

The computer is really fast now with the Samsung SSD

Is there any chance of getting to run at 3200?
Is updating the Jedec profiles in the bios without too much risk?

Last edited:

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
If the UEFI/BIOS in your HP laptop does not allow the use of XMP profiles, then you won't be able to achieve 3200MHz.

I've checked my HP laptop model 14al-104na and the two 8GB SODIMMs are running at the JEDEC default of 2133MHz. There is no option in the laptop BIOS to overclock the RAM and apply any XMP settings that might be programmed into the Serial Presence Detect chips on the SODIMMs.

I'm perfectly happy with the RAM running at 2133MHz. Outside of certain memory benchmark programs, you're unlikely to see a performance gain of more than 5% in most apps. If I wanted faster memory, I'd buy a new laptop with DDR5 at 4800MHz+.

RAM manufacturers include fast XMP profiles above the minimum JEDEC default speed, for systems with a more configurable UEFI/BIOS. I would expect a $3,000 gaming laptop to support XMP, but not a bog standard laptop intended for home or business use.

You might find the memory configuration tool for your laptop is simply saying that 3200MHz RAM will work in your laptop, but not necessarily at the maximum speeds available in XMP.

The low JEDEC default speed is "guaranteed" to work in most systems when you fit new RAM. It's then up to you to manually overclock the RAM, but it won't be possible if your BIOS doesn't support XMP.

Blame HP for not including XMP support, not the memory manufacturer. They can't be expected to know the intricacies of every single laptop BIOS.

This is how the CPU benchmark looks with the new ram.

When it says max bandwidth 3200 does it mean it can actually reach 3200 or that it could if the JEDEC was adjusted?

The computer is really fast now with the Samsung SSD

Does the bios allow you to play with ram speed/timings?

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
The 'System Configuration' page in my HP 14-al104na laptop's BIOS has the following very basic settings:-

Language
Virtualization Technology
Card Reader Power Saving
Fan Always On
Action Keys Mode
Battery Remaining Time
Boot Options

That's it. You can set the time and date in another menu, but there are no settings for RAM overclocking via XMP settings. If the OP's BIOS is similar, there is zero chance of applying the 3200MHz XMP setting in the SPD.

When choosing RAM for a system, I check the Qualified Vendor List on the computer manufacturer's web site for compatible memory. Next I check for any XMP memory overclocking options in the motherboard/laptop user manual.

If the BIOS supports XMP overclocking, I choose faster RAM. If the BIOS does not support XMP, I buy more "basic" RAM. This RAM may still have XMP settings, but I don't waste time trying to apply them, because it's impossible with a basic laptop BIOS.

It means ram supports max 3200mhz mode. Your system doesn't support it though.
On your system max ram speed is 2400mhz.
Ram overclocking not supported.
This means 3200mhz ram will run just fine, but will downclock to 2400mhz.