Crucial vs. Kingmax

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I have a CUSL2-C, but still using my old PC100 memory. Crucial has just cut memory prices again: 256MB PC133 CL=2 $53.

Would I be better off getting Kingmax PC150 or Crucial PC133?

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you're planning on overclocking, the Kingmax is guaranteed to go at 150mhz. But the Crucial is CAS2 at 133mhz, and can probably be overclocked quite a bit higher. I would go for the Crucial.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
if you get the 700 e then all you really need is the 133 un less you try to push it past about a 142 fsb like crash did

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red> Can be a lot of fun :smile: :smile: :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Crucial is good memory and fast enough. Youcan get 933 from a 700@133, 980@140. If you go above 140, BIOS will drop your memroy timing and AGP to 2x without telling you. In order to correct this you can use a file called agpfix, which includes a registry hack called stuffpcr. Or be happy with 980.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
that depends on how far you want to go with overclocking.

im using 2x256Mb PC150 kingmax in my a7v133,
and im running rock solid at 150Mhz @ CAS 2
(running 100% processor usage with SETI@home for 4 days straight)
i can even get my Kingmax ram up to 160Mhz @ cas 2, UNFORTUNATELY, as the pci/agp speed is 1/4 of the bus speed that sets the PCI speed to 40 & AGP to 80 , and one of my devices cant handle that and makes the system croak.

i love my kingmax *hugs the chips*

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
btw guys, can Crucial memory chips only be bought from their websites???
i just saw a shop selling Crucial/Micron DDR PC2100 chips, and another shop selling a Transcend memory DDR PC2100 "with a Micron core"...
interestingly, the Transcend sells at Singapore $125 for 256MB (works out to round USD$68, approximately) and the Crucial/Micron chips are selling at Singapore $125 for 256MB as well...
the kingston PC 2100 256MB chips are selling at Singapore $147 (approx. USD$80)...
so, i was wondering whether those micron/crucial chips are real stuffs... if yes, are they supposed to be so cheap, and which 1 shall i consider, the Transcend chip or the Crucial

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The RAM you see there are probably (since it seems like it by the wording) Micron CHIPS only, meaning that only the RAM chips are Micron. The board is probably made by some cheap third party manufacturer. Crucial.com has the "real stuff," with the board AND chips both made by Crucial.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Other companies claim to resell Crucial, but at higher prices than Crucial does. Other companies lie, they sell unbranded modules with Micron chips and call it Crucial. Crucial also sells low cost Aspen memory to OEM's, if a company is selling Aspen memory as Crucial, it's also a scam. Best idea? Get it straight from Crucial.com. Free shippng, lifetime warrantee (from a company that will be around long enough to honor it!).

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
i'd definitely get it from Crucial if i had a choice, but i don't have a credit card...
so, i'd have to try to buy them...
is there anyway in which i could determine whether those are "real" crucial/micron sticks, or just some little scam going on to hook me???
thanx for everyone's help

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
do i get in from a bank??
pardon me for asking such a stupid question, but i'm only a teenager still struggling in sch, so i'm completely clueless as to what is a visa cash card and whatsoever
:)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get either a Visa Checking or Visa Debit card from various banks. I don't use them, but supposedly they work like a debit card and are accepted anywhere Visa is accepted. Of course, this requires you to open a bank account, but that's something you should probably do anyway.

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
just checked up the websites of the local banks, they all require a minimum age of 18, so no way can i get them...
i won't want to trouble anyone else, so i guessed i'll just stick with those 3rd party micron chips, or maybe those 1st party kingston chips...
do you reckon third party micron is better, of kingston 1st party is better???
also, what's the difference between ecc rams and non-ecc ones???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your buying them locally, all I can suggest is you make sure they are willing to take them back if they don't work right. Most Micron chiped 3rd party ram is good, but some isn't. As for Kingston, well, depends on how far you want to go. Kingston should run at it's rated cas latency at it's rated speed.

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
Don't worry, I used to have the same problem with not being old enough for a credit card. I already had 3 applications arrive in the mail within two days of my birthday. I always just used my parents' cards before then.

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
That's it. Ask your parents if they will let you order with their credit card.

BTW you don't need ECC memory for a home computer.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
do you think i can mix these ram sticks...
i mean, could i grab a stick of kingston and another stick of 3rd party micron and just dump both sticks into my MSI K7 Master??? would there be any problems/??

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
the problem is, if i had to wait till i'm 18, i'd have to wait for years...
also, i'm not planning to borrow my parent's credit card, since i intended to use my own savings, and i'm gonna lie abit about the total costs...
;) thanx for your reply

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
erm, you mean, ecc ram sticks are only for powerful computers such as those university workstations, servers, whatever???
what about those registered sticks and whatsoever??? these terms all sound very alien to me...
:)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
K7 Master uses DDR, as long as thier both PC 2100, you can run them at 133MHz (266DDR). I would test them individually, if they both work at a given setting, they will work together at that same setting. You have to have them set for the speed of the slower one.

TRENDING THREADS