Question Crucial X6 2TB SSD

Avi Assayag

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th0N2jRdZGY

The SSD is really good, but it makes the PC freeze altogether the second it's attached.
When disconnected, everything is back to normal again.
I can't format it, can't access it in Disc Management in windows as well, because it's frozen until I disconnect it.
Tried connecting it to multiple slots, tried a mix of USBC to USB A, and USB A to USB A.
Nothing...

The weird thing is, that it was working fine for a week, and on any other PC it behaves normal. Just this win 11 one it freezes completely. I successfully tried it on both a WIN 10 & WIN 11 machines.

X570 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0)
Ryzen 3900X
ASUS 3090
64GB RAM @3200

What can I do???

Lutfij

Titan
The video you've made is good, helps with getting a point across to Crucial, provided you've also contacted their support team. As for your platform, does the issue crop up with other large capacity external drives? When you migrated to Windows 11, did you manually install your chipset drivers or did you let the OS download and install drivers that it thought was necessary for your platform? It could be a bug in the OS if the drive works on other(donor) system's.

Latest BIOS version on your motherboard?

Avi Assayag

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Interesting...
You have some good input to relate to:
The issue started with en external 4tb hdd. Exact same behavior. I disassembled the case and installed the drive via sata, and it works fine with no issues. The strange thing was, that it happened with all other computers.

This Crucial drive though, was exhibiting this peculiar behavior only with this pc. Because another Win 11 pc is working fine with the Crucial, I do think it's a chipset drivers thing. I tried to reinstall the X570 drivers, but it didn't help.

Another odd thing - the USB transfer speed is very slow - 5-7mb avarage. USB 2 or 3 as well.
On an old Lenovo ThinkCener the speed is 25-40mb.

I contacted Crucial, but they were unable to solve it. After tinkering with Power Plans, they just issued an RMA.
But the shipping cost is on me, and it's more than half of the drive cost.