Review Crucial X6 4TB Portable SSD Review: A Ton of Storage on the Go

giorgiog

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
What a Terrible review. Compare it to other 4tb external SSD drives. Oh, there aren’t many and they cost much much more. This device provides a ton of storage and a cheaper price point. There has to be compromise somewhere.

[mod edit: language]

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Seems like a pretty harsh review, in my opinion...
Sure, this drive can't keep up with those other drives, but it doesn't claim to. And those other drives don't come anywhere even remotely close to the X6 in price. This is in a price class of its own, both in 2TB and (especially) 4TB options. I think price/perf should have been given more consideration. It almost feels like this review is comparing two different classes of hardware, like if you were to criticize an R5 CPU for not being as fast as an i7 that costs 30% more.
It's a bit puzzling that half of the competing drives had a 3-year warranty as well, but that was not a "con" for any of the others.

In any case, thanks for testing it out. It looks good enough for my use case, so unless an even better value proposition comes along, I'll probably get this in 2TB for my next external drive.

Reactions: giorgiog

Colif

Win 11 Master
Problem is with the market saturated by fake 16tb external ssd drives, why would anyone even look at these.
Sure, if you know the other ones are fake you will, but the price of this needs to be 10x less to make any of the people who would buy a fake 16tb drive look at it.

its speed probably still faster than the USB 2 offered on any 16tb External ssd.

Aug 18, 2022
We bought about 200 of these SSDs at the start of the pandemic, as well as Seagate HDDs, all had the same issue you mentioned: disgusting transfer speeds.
It was so slow, that loading Unity projects would crash with a networking related error, because Unity thought the speed of loading the project was being blocked by the network speed, when instead it was the read off the external drive.

Fix? Lol: you have to enable write caching in device manager and restart the computer.
Result: 10x faster transfer speeds.

They probably used some garbage tier caching system/motherboards at the start of the pandemic to save money and you have to use the internal drive's cache for speeds to match a normal external or internal drive.

Try it out, marvel at the stupidity.

Aug 18, 2022
External drives do not require drive caching normally, as the average user does not even know that setting exists.
I have multiple external drives from 2010 onward which I've never enabled it on and work at advertised speeds.

USAFRet

Titan
What do you mean, it "probably" does?
Do you want me to run tests for you? Do you even know the answer or are you just guessing?
Well, you said it does not matter.

I know it makes a large difference on internal SSDs.
dI2j4Gt.png

What do you mean, it "probably" does?
Do you want me to run tests for you? Do you even know the answer or are you just guessing?
You do realize that the person you are questioning was writing code (And when I say "writing code" I mean, of an important nature) when you were still crapping in your diapers, right? And has built more systems than you've even laid eyes on? Get real kid.