Cryorig R1 Universal AMD Only Cooler (Bought By Mistake)

Who knew that Cryorig made an AMD only model of the R1 Universal. I'm sure it would work with Intel, but they only included the AMD/AM4 bracket. I guess I missed that in the listing on Newegg. I can't believe I've never seen that, a universal cooler that's not universal.

This has really thrown my build (for a customer) out of whack. I don't even think I can get an Intel mounting bracket for it. I'll likely have to return the whole cooler. I was planning to ship the build out on Saturday. I don't live near a Microcenter, there's nothing except Best Buy and all they sell are the Corsair H100i and I don't think the customer wants liquid.

Any suggestions?

For i7-8700K

Solution

Talk to the newegg return rep.
Are you certain that the cooler did not include lga1151 mounts?
Perhaps someone removed them?
The specs seem quite clear that it supports intel and amd(perhaps not am4)

What to do?
1. return the unit you bought.
2. Remove the NH-D15s from your pc and use that.
3. Order a replacement with expedited shipping. amazon prime can have it for you overnight.
4. If there must be a delay, notify your customer and offer expedited shipping.

jr9

Estimable
That is really bizzare that they have both a universal and an AMD "universal" only version of that cooler. The fact that they call the AMD one universal ridiculous. They are priced differently as well. Did you try to actually install it? Could be a mistake on the page.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF5VU1002

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAATB47Y2470&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10592396&PID=3938566&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-%zn

Not seeing a bracket available either, doubt it exists.

Best buy doesn't do PC parts seriously really aside from basic stuff. If the client ordered that particular cooler I would just call them up and say then can either get a AIO or wait for the proper R1 to come in after the weekend because there was a problem with the part. I'd order the actually universal cooler R1 and send the am4 one back. I would tell Amazon you though it was universal and they honestly shouldn't call it that if it isn't. First time I've ever see a cooler maker do that.

It came from the Newegg link I posted (sold by CRYOSTORE) which is Cryorig and I see they've put a sticker on the actual box over the compatibility circles of Intel, the new sticker just has AMD.

I'm emailing the customer now to see what he wants to do.

Thanks for the replies.

The customer told me to just do what I would do if it were my system. I would order the R1 Universal from Amazon and get it Monday.

I'm trying to return this one to Newegg and they want to charge me restocking fee and return shipping.

xabz4v4.png

I'm very dissatisfied with Newegg right now.

jr9

Estimable
That's one of the reasons my shop dropped Newegg for Amazon last year. We got Amazon Prime and Amazon doesn't make us jump through hoops when we have an issue with a part. Faster too and no shipping costs, after a dozen orders it's definitely worth.

Unless you can prove you ordered the Intel/AMD version even Amazon would charge you a restocking fee though. You might have luck with Newegg support saying the title name of the cooler was misleading. If no luck there I would just eat the $20 loss and move on.

The restocking fee would be understandable. Though I am waiting for Newegg chat (been waiting about an hour) to speak with customer service and I'm arguing that new coolers with that name come with Intel mounting brackets, so this one must not be new. It might now work but I'm trying at least.

The customer said he'd pay the difference, I just hate having to increase the cost of the system.

Thanks again.

Have you checked out Newegg Premier? I should do that. Free returns with no restocking fee.

I have never had a problem with newegg refunds and exchanges.
Perhaps because I am a long term customer.
Check the part number on the box. and return it as defective, missing parts.
They are good about that and will exchange it.
Don't know who (or who should) pay shipping.
In the past, when it was my fault, I got a gift card for the return when I ordered the right thing.
Be nice to the newegg rep hide your disappointment.

Maybe I can just build a Ryzen 7 system to mine Cryptonight. I had been thinking about doing that anyway. This R1 Universal will come in handy then. :D

I still think it's rather dumb it can't be used with Intel though. That really devalues the cooler IMO. I shouldn't have paid full price.

Newegg offered to discount re-ordering the same part but with Intel compatibility. Cryorig offered to send me the Intel bracket.

Either way I guess I got it all worked out.

Cryorig sent the Intel bracket.

But guess what? Now I just bought an AM4 X470 Crosshari VII + R7 2700X and the supposed AM4 bracket that came with this cooler does not fit the motherboard spacing, the bracket is too narrow. I assume it is an AM3+ bracket?? This is very frustrating.