Cryorig's Motherboard-Cooling Hybrid Liquid Coolers Available Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question is what is the noise of the small fan and what benefit does it present over just having a case with good fans pushing good air flow? Is there any real benefit to this fan?

Chipsets have not had a fan for a long time due to the smaller process nodes and most heavy heat items moving to the CPU. I could see the VRMs needing additional cooling if you use a AiO/Open Loop water cooler but only if you just happen to have really bad air flow.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

Nice signature SR-71 XD

How have you found their coolers? I never do enough research on cooling...

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
you know ive had the same idea but for air coolers... how great would it be to have a heatsink directly on the copper plate with a small 40mm fan on it? it could pull air upwards and at an angle just like this. should help a little with the thermal regulation for sure

Skypine27

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
I used to love AIOs until I built my first custom loop. Was very rewarding (I like building things) and performs better and quieter than an AIO I ever owned.

It was expensive and time consuming though. But great fun.

Shameless plug:

Custom glass w/ purple RGB:

That's my main question. These tiny fans have a higher pitch when they speed up. Even if the overall dB level is the same, the tone and timbre make them more annoying.

I will say that they do have benefits. If you're pushing a heavy OC, unless you have something like a HAF that is Blowing air everywhere ( with the extra noise along with it ), a small spot fan works well, especially if you have tall RAM modules that would obstruct typical front - back airflow a little bit.

It looks like another clever design by cryorig. Not that it's a huge departure from existing products but they really seem to pay attention to the problems and address them in their designs. People complained of tower style air coolers conflicting with ram so they offset the heat pipes on the h7 and used a slim profile fan on the h5.

The biggest drawback to using aio coolers especially on amd systems where the motherboard may be more susceptible to vrm heating issues after removing the top-down oem cooler. This looks to provide a clear solution.

I'm sure the small diameter fan isn't all that great on sound levels but it's not just quirky or unusual designs for the sake of being 'different'. How well they succeed with this one will be interesting to see but they deserve credit for listening to builders issues and trying to break the mold with creative solutions.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
If the cooler is working properly there should be no need for this; CPU air coolers radiate heat everywhere to cool the CPU as effectively as possible, which means they require good airflow or that heat would just build up and cooling efficiency would drop.

Liquid coolers meanwhile move the heat to a radiator, which should be mounted as an exhaust to the case, meaning the heat is expelled directly, and shouldn't be able to heat up the case.

Other components on the motherboard shouldn't get so hot as to justify this, and my main concern is that adding this fan could actually be worse for cooling; instead of heat rising from the motherboard and being swept away as part of the exhaust airflow, this fan will be disrupting the airflow of the case by blowing down.

A radiator mounted as exhaust, with appropriate intake fans should be more than enough to get a steady stream of air through the case, which is more than enough to keep everything cool in my experience.

In fact, adding a fan to the pump also increases the height of it, which will clutter the interior more for what I think will be minimal (if any) gains, and eliminates one of my favourite aspects of al-in-one coolers, which is the ability to use them to cool high performance small form factor systems (as they're much more effective than low profile air coolers).

Methinks you haven't done much overclocking if you think this. RAM doesn't get too hot in the vast majority of situations. But the VRM feeding the CPU can get very toasty, especially ( as Syn said ) on AMD chips that are drawing over 200W. Since liquid cooling is often used in situations where the CPU is pushed as far as it can go, getting better active airflow over the VRM is critical.

The relative "force" of hot air trying to rise is minimal at best and can't compete with even the weakest of fans. Besides, most motherboards are mounted vertically, so rising heat actually slides along the board, not away from it, so it's not rising toward your exhaust unless you have a top fan in your case. These fans can be angled as well to help direct air towards toward your exhaust.

Skypine27

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
Im an EK fan myself. A couple of drops of Mayhem dye (I use red) has kept my custom loop plant free for a 1 year stretches between flush/fills:

Petabyte

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
May have been thinking of Corsair at the beginning of this review. H40 A40 H80 A80. Interesting take on VRM cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.