News Crypto Mining GPU Pricing Plummets as Demand Cools

grumpy-cat-good.jpg

Jan 9, 2022
Remember gang, you might be desperate for a GPU upgrade - but DO NOT buy a 2nd hand clapped-out mining card. You'll be sorry.
This is just bad information and has been proven as such with literally hundreds of videos and sites with explanations as to why from some of the highest profile tech users on the planet.

The only people who believe this are idiots who don't want to pay a miner for something they want.

wtf happened to my post count and join date? I've been a member of this site for the last 12 years.

asmodyus

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
The fact is the mining cards are overpriced and nvidia tried to make more money by limiting the game cards but not enough to warrant people to buy the mining cards for the cost over the gaming cards. Demand has not changed nobody want there damm mining cards.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Noticed the same thing in the last week. Using stockx as a guide, I'd say prices have dropped 5% and the spread between bid/ask has increased markedly, with recent sales on 3060 / 3060Ti indicating more like a 10% drop in scalper prices.

I'm also seeing supplies suddenly pop up, still at elevated prices but at least there, in places like Microcenter. Much of this may be due to AMDs 6500XT which seems to be selling fast with steady supply. However I'm also seeing over-priced 6700XT / 6800XT / 6900XT / 3080 / 3090s, and even a fairly good supply of 1650 Supers and so on.

Crypto bubble also has taken some big hits, after peaking 4 months ago then declining some 60%, its recent rally appears to have failed and at the moment at least is in yet another down move.

Add to this we now have impending release of Intel Arc dGPU on laptop platforms, plus dGPU on desktop this summer, and we should see continuous downside pressure on GPUs of all kinds. If these trends continue we might actually see normalized (MSRP) prices by summer.

Now que the bitcoin addicts to rant.

Reactions: Krotow and Why_Me

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Prices of cryptocurrencies is unlikely to deter people from buying new GPUs for mining. We’ve seen for sometime that cryptocurrency value fluctuates a lot. In fact when there are less miners, it is easier to mine. I think the main reasons are, (1) Ether complete migrating to POS, though the dates can change, and, (2) expected release of new GPUs later this year. It makes no sense to drastically overpaying for a soon to be obsolete GPU.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
No one is even mentioning that the US has several teams investigating Crypto and soon will be pushing strong regulation with owning it. Also the US has a new tax laws in place that's going to hurt third party sellers (Scalpers) right where it hurts most, in the wallet. Places like eBay are now forced to report every penny that's earned through their marketplace to the IRS. Companies that handle payments like PayPal and others are also reporting directly to the IRS every dime that's sent and received. Then you have that deal in Canada where the Government is blocking buying and selling Crypto for some, a currency that was supposed to be safe from Govt intervention. I'm not saying I agree with all this but things are changing.

Reactions: Krotow

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Hey, prices dropping just in time for the next cycle of product launches to start the whole ordeal over again! :rolleyes:

Not quite. At least not yet. Pple are on a wait and see approach right now due to eth. Also, the whole crypto market (not just eth) is moving towards a staking instead of mining one.

So, right now, if you have $1000, you can put in a staking farm and possibly earn more than mining (depends on what you stake). Of course there are risk involved but its certainly much easier than mining.