Crysis 2 DX11 Patch Released

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Check it out:
http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/crysis-2-directx-11-ultra-upgrade
Several new DX11 features, as well as a new texture pack. Looks like it will rival Metro. I bet it takes a 580 to run well.

Features:
Tesselation & Displacement Mapping
Parallax Occlusion Mapping
Water Volume & Ocean Improvements
Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
Full HDR Motion Blur
Particle Motion Blur & Shadowing
Sprite-Based Bokeh Depth of Field
Screen Space Direct Occlusion & Contact Shadows
Realtime Local Reflections
High Resolution Textures (4x original resolution)

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Its about time they release it...it should have been in the original release! Will this work fully with AMD/ATI cards? I have a MSI HD 6950 I have upgraded from the old 5770's. I would really like to see the full potential of Cryengine 3 with DX 11.

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I'm pretty sure it can since I can play FEAR 3 at max without issues except for high temps but I can play everything and get good fps. When I play Crysis 2 I get about 85fps with everything maxed on DX9.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

If its anything like Metro 2033 as far as resources a 6950 with a OC should be fine. I play Metro with my 6950 all I have to do is turn off DOF and lower the AA and I get 45-50 FPS most of the game :).

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Is everything else on max? And what res?
Also do you think those effects will be more demanding?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

1080p everything else on max. Does seem this game has more DX11 effects ill buy the game when it gets cheaper lol. Would be nice to see a benchmark here on toms with th enew patch..(thats for you moderators ;) ) I have a nice overclock on the 6950 though its at 940 core and 1450 mem. It scores higher on 3D Mark than when I had a diff card unlocked to 6970 specs so that could be part of it lol.

im talking moreso the ultra settings more than the high res setting, which are all higher res settings for the game entirely. How i feel is basically we found out what xbox would look like with tesselation, cause the feature set is designed around a game made for DX9.

I just downloaded everything after purchasing the game. With everything maxed at 1200p and 6950's in crossfire (unlocked shaders at 885/1375) I'm mostly capped at 60 fps with vsync on, but it did drop into the 20's during some cut scenes, and occasionally it drops to the 30's and 40's during the game play.

One thing I'm noticing is that there is no AA options in game. I also noticed how Crytek decided to handle the "the game sucks because I have to play on medium" crowd. The detail options available are High, Very High, Extreme and Ultra.

There are some comparison screenshots in the link above: http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/crysis-2-directx-11-ultra-upgrade

2gb cards. I just tried it in the non DX11 mode with the original textures. It looks a lot better with the DX11. The first thing I noticed when I turned off DX11 was, omg, that looks so flat!

Unfortunately, the game could use some AA. I'll see if I can't force AA on, it'll probably require me to lower settings some.

I also just played with Aero on, and had 25 fps. I turned off Aero and went to 45 FPS in the same spot. I'm guessing the game likes ram.

Ok, I could force AA on from CCC. Using Extreme Settings, and still using the large textures, I had much better visuals and good FPS (40-60, mostly 60). I used 4xMSAA. Much better than Ultra without AA.

EDIT: seemed MLAA didn't take the first time until I restarted, now I don't like it in this game. Looking more, it seems that AA is not working to the best I can tell, but Extreme settings seems to have less aliasing than Ultra.

Although F3AR is a new game, it should not be compared to the new dx11 crysis patch- its engine is older and has no bells n whistles that will stress a system like DoF and tessellation will do with higher res textures