Crysis 2, Killzone 3 Already hitting BitTorrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
You stop supporting exclusive PC titles, and nobody will buy the latest Intel CPUs and nVidia/AMD GPUs. Not sure where you get your info, but you can pretty much torrent any XBOX 360 titles and other console games.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I won't be pirating Crysis 2 no matter how excited I am, I think I can wait a month.

Crytek are a great bunch, they put a lot of hard work into detailing the Crysis games so they deserve my money.

fuzzyplankton

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
I'm playing it now and I'm still going to buy it next month. They just like to wine for advertising PR. I just consider it a playable demo that they left us out on.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
It seems like the harder they DRM, the more things get pirated. I forgot the company, but some game studio put out their game without any sort of DRM, you didn't even need the disc in to play. After a month, the piracy on it via Bittorrent was HUGE, but they still hit the sales goals they had set if they included DRM.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I heard somewhere that the Crysis 2 torrent release is not the final release of the game, as some pieces are missing and whatnot. Not really interested in the game anyway so I doubt I'll be buying it.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Pay for the game... and maybe we'll get another one. I can understand the "me want now!" attitude that some of the downloaders may have, but not the "me want free" one. To NOT pay for what is sure to be a great title from a quality house (and not just another crappy Console port) is no way to support PC Gaming.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I hear a lot of pirateers complain and say its Just as easy to mod and steal a console game. I find it really strange that most if not all pirate most their pc games and their console is unmoded. It's a legitimate problem with archaic solutions that dont work. It seems that risking getting your 200$ console getting bricked is their only deterrent. But thats Just my personal expirience. I refuse to pirate things that would die if no one paid for them.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]You stop supporting exclusive PC titles, and nobody will buy the latest Intel CPUs and nVidia/AMD GPUs. Not sure where you get your info, but you can pretty much torrent any XBOX 360 titles and other console games.[/citation]
GPUs... maybe... CPUs? Video encoders say hi.

And as far as console piracy goes - it's a lot more involved. PC piracy you need to DL and double click. 360, if I understand correctly, requires you to open the xbox and flash some firmware using a sata cable and DOS. So yeah, you can do it if you're a techie like us, but little Billy's a lot less likely to try it.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
So, the same article says Killzone 3 got up on the torrent sites as well. Still the developers have the guts to say that consoles don't have piracy problem? PC games are what drive the gaming hardware industry towards evolution.

fuzzyplankton

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Ya it just a beta copy. The lightings all weird, the sounds aren't done, it wont auto saved load games and it locks up somtimes. I dont know why there complaining i dont know any who would play it and say they dont need the finished game. Its playable but i got it just to see the game and how it would play on my hardware(AMD 965 x4 3.4 phenom with ati 4770X2 crossfire runs the game at 1600x900 at max setting at 30-40 fps granted the game not finished yet). I think there only worried about is the DRM Solidshield master key and the engine editor that could be used later on the fished product. A lot of companies do open beta testing and is does not hurt there sales. But i would say the game is a buyer.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
One benefit of these wonderful pirates:

My CF 5870's will be running games at MAX for the next 10 years because of this. No developer is going to make a PC exclusive to push graphix now.

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
This is truly sad. Crysis was a great game! Probably the best game i have played since half-life 2.All those complaining about PC gamers getting console ports should thank all the people who torrent the game and play it for free. I feel like the days of having awesome games for the PC are over! Please buy the damn game and stop stealing it! The devs deserve it it brings more to us PC gamers.

I remember hacking Commodore 64 games when I was 14 LOL
Nowadays as a responsible 40 year old I pay for games.
As long as they have a decent playable demo for free to try out.
Also helps my best friend is a Gamestop Manager :)
Nothing sucks more than buying a $59.99 USD game and it is lame.
Then you of course youi cant return it for money back opened.
And if you can find some store to buy used PC games your lucky to get
$10 for a opened game that was used once!
Also as already stated the companies should stop spending money on anti piracy technology.
It would directly save on the bottom line.
People who are going to buy it will still buy it and
Pirates always hack the DRM anyway.
It is sad I cant make a backup copy of my run disks in case they get scratched.
And all customer service can tell you is buy another $50 copy....

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I don't understand why more game developers don't register game serial numbers to online accounts. This seems like a tried and true way to combat piracy.

And the previous comment was asking about Sins of a Solar Empire. That game had massive sales because it was Awesome!

Make a good game, and people will buy it.

Crysis and Crysis Warhead were pretty, but I thought the multiplayer aspect sucked, and these days unless I plan to heavily invest in the multiplayer portion, I'm not going to buy it. I've learned my lesson on buying games that barely have any online community. I've played 400+ games of Starcraft 2 in comparison, that's a game well worth what I paid for.

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Really they need to give up on DRM if they make it, it will be hacked. Its to simple to do (for some)... They want to sell games stop charging 60+ for a game I'd buy a lot more if they were 20 to 25 dollars a game. Make it easier for us Broke Asses to have the game. Just think you buy 5 new games a year how much that is $300 vs. $125 if they would make them cheaper you know DVD's don't cost that much. And what good is it to buy them for 60+ and soon as you beat them it goes on the shelf. Never to be played again.

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Friday brought reports that a (near-final) developer build of Crysis 2 found its way into the BitTorrent pipeline.

"Crytek has been alerted that an early incomplete, unfinished build of Crysis 2 has appeared on Torrent sites,"

Uhhh...

I think I'm going to trust EA on this since I've seen screenshots of it and it's a mess. It's a build that is apparently over a year old.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]Pay for the game... and maybe we'll get another one. I can understand the "me want now!" attitude that some of the downloaders may have, but not the "me want free" one. To NOT pay for what is sure to be a great title from a quality house (and not just another crappy Console port) is no way to support PC Gaming.[/citation]
+1
... and on top of that, some users think they're "smart" by getting stuff free and not considering that free only goes for a short time until it's broke. Sure, I want stuff too and preferably free, but I also want to get paid for my work and wouldn't call people "stupid" who actually are willing to pay for it.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Its funny how they complain of PC pirating, but while i was living in asia it was so much easier to get pirated consol games, especialy since the same people usualy would mod your consol (for a small fee) in a couple of hours. they can complain about PC pirating all they want, but in my opinion these companies are loosing alot more cash from pirated consol games. they just dont see it because most people would buy from these stores since bandwith is so expensive over there ,and so most consol pirates cant even be tracked. I would say take the pirate statistics for consols and multiply it by 5 and you would have about the right number... at least for the philippines and the countries in that region.

The fact is most can afford consols alot more readily then computers, and when it only cost 20 bucks to make it so you can play pirates that means you can play pirated consols for about 300 to 350 bucks, and pay about 5 bucks for any title. However compared to pirating PC games you have to first worry about viruses, which is relatively common, you have to worry about performance needed for the game, bugs in the game releas, applying buggy game cracks, lacking the ability to apply patches in most cases.

PC games are always being updated for hardware compatability this makes it so more hacks are needed to continue playing, consol hardware does not change much making it extremely easy for the end user to use pirated consol titles.

If by small chance PC titles are being pirated more its because PC users want to make sure that its not crap since most of the PC releases lately whre pritty weak. Consol pirating is only going to skyrocket its faster and easier for people to set up shops dedicated to hacks and pirating for consols in the third world, and its a no brainer that there hacks will go on the web.

Companies really need to start understanding that there consoles are not forts and that there standardized hardware is a god send to hackers world wide. I havent seen anything change in regard to this since SNES, when you where able to get a floppy drive and pirate games with 3.5 floppies.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]alphadark[/nom]Blah blah DRM blah blah Consoles have piracy also blah blah blah games are to expensive.Stop making excuses, you're all a bunch of thieves. You didn't pay for it so stop acting like your fucking entitled to something. Were even lucky to get a port nowadays. If I was running a business I wouldn't even bother with a bunch of fucking criminals. It's like opening a dine and dash restaurant, fucking stupid.[/citation]

I pay for all of my games. But it is game companies who are making excuses of piracy just so they can sell more. Even assuming piracy did not exist pc gamers would eventually get water down console ports. It just annoys me how they are using piracy as their scapegoat.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
It's more of a hassle to download those cracked games and get them running right, than to just purchase it on Steam. Besides, Crysis 2 should be friggin sweet, and will deserve my money.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
This rising piracy thing is laughable. There has always been piracy on the PC, and that hasn't stopped Crytek from coming to life in the meantime, producing Far Cry, and with the money of those sales making Crysis and with the money of those sales making Warhead (the latter two I bought), which in turn gave them fame and recognition, and that's why they could now get the funding to build on 3 different platforms.

Back in the eighties and early nineties you just had to copy the games from one floppy to another, sometimes spanning multiple floppies, using ARJ, for example and eventually copying the access codes. Consoles were always more difficult to hack, but even then I remember you could buy special cartridges that contained 3 or more games that normally cost way more than the asking price of said cartridge. So, yes, piracy has always been there, on all platforms.

And there always will be. I even remember the original Prince of Persia game getting hacked. And guess what, the game sold so well they made a sequel, and twenty years after, we now have sequels in high definition glorious 3D, and even a movie.

Remember a guy called John Carmack ? ID Software ? Wolfenstein 3D ? Doom ? Quake ? Hell, even Duke Nukem, by Apogee/ID, was shareware, and it worked. I don't recall Carmack being a poor man living under the bridge because of piracy. Now we have Steam. And it works. I love Steam. Why can't EA just stop whining and be smart ?

Yes, piracy. It's like bacteria, it does good things and bad things.

It's very easy to make piracy a scapegoat, especially when you normally get to charge more for a game on a console, for less investment. After all, they are all fine-tuning 2005/2006 graphics libraries on the consoles. But we all know the formula1 is the PC. DX11 will get into consoles, and they will do it first on the PC, even with all the piracy. They sell, aways have. And I will buy their game if it's worth it. I support good publishers that produce good games. Not necessarily publishers that ask me to buy their games.

P.S.: Talking about Steam and good games, Portal 2 is now up for Pre-Purchase with a free copy of Portal bundled for those who haven't or to give to a friend! I'll be pre-purchasing!

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
The game gets hacked before it's getting released...I wouldn't blame that it is because it was a PC game, since no one owns it now to rip it off and upload it. It sounds like an inside job to me, or someone left their computer unsecured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS