Crysis 2: Lower System Req, Better Graphics

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]rebturtle[/nom]So now EVERYTHING can run Crysis? What will we spam the hardware review comments with now?[/citation]

No... everything will run Crysis 2. We can still spam with the usual "but can it play Crysis?" until the next 2 generations of processors and graphics cards quite safe.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
awesome. I dont know which i'm most excited about, lower reqs with better graphics or stereo 3D support. Both I guess, cause this means I'll have a a chance of actually running the game smoothly in 3D maybe, unlike crysis 1...

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Well this is good news but I'll have to see it to believe it. When Crysis Warhead was about to come out, they said the system reqs were lower but they really weren't.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]I have to say, I'd rather them require a wicked system and max that system out.While the original Crysis engine was by no means perfect, it was very much so "all it could be."I wish we could have seen that again here.[/citation]A good engine can do both. In other words, a good, highly scalable engine. One that can run and look good on mid-level hardware, while being able to really push high-end systems with the settings jacked up. The first Crysis failed at the first part, you could get it to play on mid-grade hardware but it didn't look anything near what it should have, especially if you turned the settings down enough to get a fluid framerate.

Modern games using Unreal have been pretty scalable, perhaps we'll see something with that level of flexibility, but with better high-end graphics? The screenshots look like they might deliver, but we'll need the final product to really judge whether it can really deliver on a variety of systems.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]rebturtle[/nom]So now EVERYTHING can run Crysis? What will we spam the hardware review comments with now?[/citation]
But can it run... Half Life 3?!?!

problem solved ;)

universalremonster

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm still absoultely blown away at people like demonhorde665 that people still use "teh".. and also that they get extremely upset about having to go into the graphics option screen thats been provided with every pc game since forever and slide the little slider to 'teh' left a notch or 2. STAGNATION FOR TEH WIN! DOWN WITH PROGRESSION!

G

"The sequel will require less while providing more. Sounds like a good woman."

So, will it also bring me a cold brewski while I'm busy playing the game?

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
All I can say is I cannot wait for Valve's next engine. Every time they release a new engine they literally awe the world. They do it right to, they make shity systems work fine on it, and let the bigger n better cards turn the real flash on in the engine, so no lag anywhere unless you overkill.

Here's to hoping these guys are the next "Valve" in awe inspiring work that people don't really have issues with, since friken ubisoft has officially flushed themselves in with the EA boycott team, one less jack@ss to buy games off of :)

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
This is bad for every1, if the software companies don´t keep pushing up, the hardware companies will suffer and therefor so will graphic tech., everything is getting behind time because of consoles, because there is no reason to get new and better hardware if the PC games keeep being ports of console games.

Take me for example, I have a AMD X2 4600+ with 3gb Ram (for 5years) with an 8800GT512 (for 1.5years now) and I thought this should alowed me to play at most 6years and at the end it would be probably at minimum settings, I play on a 24" screen with allmost everything medium/high (ME2)with 1920*1080 and I think "Great machine, still runs everything" and than "wait... this is suppose not to run like this after allmos 6years with all that faster/better hardware out there". Console is what is holding gaming software technology back!

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Ummm Crysis had to draw trees that were a mile away. This New York version of the game only has to draw 20 feet of flat street, then a square with a texture on it called a building. Ohhhhh I'm so impressed.

dizz01

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
It will probably be able to run at lower system requirements but I can almost guarantee that HIGH settings will require a badass system

G

There is a huge difference between optimizing a game and giving it the ability to run well on a low to mid range system and castrating it to cap its high end ability to what the crappy consoles can run.

Yes, it is good to get more computer users on the low end by making it run efficient but if they are not going to implement high end features beyond what consoles can run, for those that can run it, then who will ever upgrade? If we cap it at what a console can do nobody will have the desire to buy for the future and PC gaming will stagnate! Then who sets the bar for the next generation? The consoles?

Jarmo hit it on the head and I was thinking the same thing... Lose all the vegetation swaying in the breeze and irregular shapes of nature and replace it with a city scape and call it better. Do a jungle or forest setting and show us the improvements. Maybe Nomad can make a detour to the Adirondacks for a few missions... ha ha. A quick trip in a VTOL and some fun in the forest.

Anyways I hope it's a good game and I will likely buy it. I just hope it skips the arcane game protections that can cause more problems for the legit buyers than the pirates. Crossing fingers for another great Crysis game.

I think the issue lies more in the hardware that the current consoles are using. If they had a beefier GPU and the ability to not have to use the CPU to render most of the visuals we would not have to worry about games being ported to consoles. Both the PS4 and 720 should have superior hardware when they launch but it will cost us an arm and a leg..

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Maybe the consoles are the reason for the lowered requirements.

Just one question,

does this mean that my HD4670 can run the game?

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
hahaha WYSIWYG, I remember my biology teacher frequently saying that. I think it's great that they made the game so scalable to such different hardware. Hopefully this will encourage some people with older hardware to upgrade so they will get to experience the truly amazing graphics recent games have. I also like they they are trying to bring new people to PC gaming. We need more support!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS