Crysis 2 Pulled from Steam, Now Origin Exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
As things stand right now, Mass Effect 3 will be the last EA/BioWare title I buy, partially because of junk like this. The version I buy will be retail if it's an Origin exclusive and not available on Steam.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
It is about time EA started doing this. One of the biggest video game publishers and they've stuck with their mediocre EA Download Manager for such a long time. Though many may hate the idea of SW:TOR, Crysis 2, and other EA games being offered not appearing on Steam... I find it an intelligent move, since just offering the game on Steam costs as much as having Gamestop, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc. selling it. At least now all digital sales will now be sucked up by the EA corporation. ;p

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Games I might have played, but now won't. Not having to deal with a myriad of Steam clones is enough for me to avoid anything that will force me to sign up for one.

E: Ugh. Confronted with the harsh reality that a lot of games I genuinely enjoy are published by EA, and are likely to be stuck on Origin, I probably won't be able to avoid it - unless, of course, I decide that I'm content not to play any new title from BioWare, Dice, Epic, etc., or random games like Alice: Madness Returns. Unfortunately, that's not a decision I'd be content with. Time to brace myself for the inevitability of providing another Steam clone with my credit card info, populating and juggling another friends list, and all the other monotony that comes with it. Le sigh.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It took Valve a long time to develop the user base they have today. EA is shooting themselves in the foot if they go with a new untested and undeployed platform for all their PC digital distributions.

For the MMO type game it makes sense to go directly to the MMO site for download and hopefully the MMO launcher handles all the updates without having to use something like Steam or Origin for every patch.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Crysis 2 not available on Steam? Now I don't have see the $60 price tag for a crap game, oh noes! So much for waiting for a Steam sale to finally play it.

G

I really enjoy having a centralized area for all of my PC gaming needs. This ... is ridonculous.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Well they just made the biggest mistake of their lives....

Steam is a very respected and liked among the gaming community. EA is NOT. EA is seriously the evil corporation that they depict in books, movies and anyplace else.

EA is such a trash, POS company. I can't wait until I see their stocks plummet from the losses they'll get from this.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
[citation][nom]rad666[/nom]As things stand right now, Mass Effect 3 will be the last EA/BioWare title I buy, partially because of junk like this. The version I buy will be retail if it's an Origin exclusive and not available on Steam.[/citation]

But what if the retail version is just a key that needs origin to activate?
I bought Shogun 2 Total War on retail... I needed Steam to activate it.

If this is what EA does to ME3 then you are fucked...

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Considering EA already treats me like a pirate and a baby killer when i purchase their games. I have a copy of mirror's edge and need for speed that i can't install anymore because i have used up my allotted number of installs(I reformat my computer at least once a year) and they basically refuse to authorize more installs. So the idea of using their download manager/store is not appealing at all.

G

Ya that is what I want. Having my digital games all over the place and having to remeber a bunch of passwords. I can live without EA`s games. So go ahead. To be honest I lost interest in them after buying the Dragon age game of the year and I could not play it for about 4 months because I had to log into thier servers to play a offline game and somehow my game was registered to someone else.

Make it even a tiny bit harder for me to buy your product and I simply wont.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Also... the only reason I bought Shogun 2 on retail was to get the limited edition version for 30% off on newegg... No limited edition version or sale on steam at the time.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]uhmmmm....Steam does this with Valve titles...what's wrong with EA doing same thing Valve is doing?[/citation]

It's not the same thing, Crysis 2 WAS available on Steam, EA pulled it. That's the kind of douchebaggery (I may be making that word up) that makes people stop supporting a company.

EA is making a big mistake here :p

The user base from Steam (from casual to hardcore) is big enough to last a good long years to come and EA is turning it's back at it with the idea of lurking them to their crappy un-tested re-launched platform? Talking about a bad and risky move alright.

The XBLA model works when you actually HAVE a console to back it up; EA has nothing of the like. Games For Windows lost to Steam already, and we're talking about Microsoft here. Now they'll push XBLA to PCs with Win8 and prolly Steam won't even be affected, but all the others will.

Cheers!

bygbyron3

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
The issue is that Origin like EA Download Manager is absolutely horrible and unreliable software along with Games for Window Live. I have yet to find any distribution even remotely as good as Steam. Keep the ball on Valve's court; a lot of gamers don't want to go to the kiddies’ court with broken rims and no nets.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Sad thing is you will more than likely not see a game on sale on Origin as you would on Steam. Pretty dick move though to pull games from Steam's service.

I for one haven't used Origin, is even some kind of client? Other than something keeping your game updated, all I see is a storefront which you could hardly call a competitor with Steam.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I'm not sure how cutting yourself off from a popular distributor like Steam will grow your business, sure it forces people to use your service but you still lose that advertising on steam.

Not a sound move from EA.

Status
Not open for further replies.