crysis and 9800 gx2

paintballwizzx

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Hey all, Today i got my new evga 9800 gx2. I upgraded from an evga 8800 gts 320mb. I have a 27.5" monitor, so my res is 1920x1200. I have all drivers updated for this new card, and im getting horrible FPS durring crysis and crysis warhead. I cant even play on high or gamer settings!?! My 8800 gts 320mb could play on the exact same level? am i doing something wrong? i dont even have AA on!? I feel as if one of the GPUs isnt working, but i can tell a huge difference in COD4 and other games. Just playing crysis BLOWS! What can I do?!? Thanks!

easymoney9

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Well whatever driver you are using should have some place in it for enabling Sli. Hopefully some one that owns a 9800gx2 will post and let you know. Have you read any reviews about the card? Maybe Crysis doesn't scale well in Sli?

armeniandave

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
You have to go into the Nvidia control panel and enable multi GPU.
Right click on your mouse and it should show up or just go to the control panel and look for Nvidia.
My 9800GX2 wasn't linked by default.
If that doesn't work then change drivers, the latest
drivers gave me problems so I went to the one right before and there are no problems.

I've said it before and been chastised for it, The 256bit memory interface on that card is not enough........ and yes, I know, it's advertised as 512 but that's not at all true. The second thing is, if you don't find a way to add extra cooling and have it blow directly on the card to blow the heat off it, you'll keep getting hangs.... I say hangs but the heat will cut into your performance. It all looks good on the benchmarks but the card totally blows. no fanboy replies please.

Having said that, go into the cards control panel and set all the settings to run on application settings. Then go down to where it says multi display and set it to single display. then make sure the vsync is not checked. Good luck.

SLI won't always work, or work right, with certain games. If only one of your GPUs was working it should still be faster than the 8800GTS 320 in Crysis at the same settings. Try using a different driver version. Download it from the nVidia website. Make sure you enable SLi. If you don't know how to do it then google how to enable SLi and follow the steps.

armeniandave

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

I disagree with you. This card does run hot and that's why I have it watercooled but it runs everything I throw at it maxed out. Thats not a fanboy but reality talking. Real world performance is outstanding and I have not had one problem running any of the games on it. Its not all about how many bits the interface is but the real world performance. AMD had a 512bit interface and nvidia was still beating them for a long time.

paintballwizzx

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Ok i have activated the multi gpus in nvidia control panel, got older drivers and still can not run crysis on anything about average settings. everything at medium no AA..... :fou: :pfff: I dont get it. is it the 1920x1200? It should be able to do that i would think on atleast high settings!?

rangers712000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008

Hey man, I feel your pain =/ I just made a new rig about 2 weeks ago and I am having the same problems with my Crysis Warhead. Also, I have the same exact video card, evga 9800 gx2, which I bought in newegg because it seems like it was a great deal. I might be wrong with that one. I'm trying to play around with the Nvidia Panel Settings to see if any changes will make the difference. But yeah, I have put down my resolution to 1280 X 1020 @ Gamer settings. Just a little frustrated that I am only getting around 18-30 fps and really just a stable 24 fps in game. Sometimes it becomes annoying when I hit the lag and 5-10 fps in some areas, dunno why.

Can anyone help us with the SLI settings please. Maybe should sticked with the single gpu cards. =/ I'm still excited and hopefully there is a solution to this.

Have u ran any kind of benchmark with your rig? Does the scores make sense?

paintballwizzx

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
ya man, got mine from newegg too. Incredible deal on an 9800 gx2 i thought! thats why i got it... :??: But ya maybe its just the evga cards?? idk, but this card really isnt impressing me.... maybe i should run some benchmarks...? its really frustrating and im glad there is another with my problem (no offence lol) just so i know im not the only one.... sux tho. any more help would be amazing.

crysis900

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

There is definitely something wrong, I run Crysis on my 9800GX2 KO all settings Very High (Shaders high) and get about 55fps at 1280X1024. I get similar results with Warhead. Get the latest drivers on Nvidia.com.

dakspaceship

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I'm having the same issues with my BFG 9800GX2. Anyone found a solution yet?
Getting very tempted to shelf the multi GPU approach and get a GTX 280.

^^ Same with me. At 1280x1024 at least, a GX2 should get in the mid-50's with everything on, no AA (note, I operate XP, so I'm probably inflating a bit...). I find running Crysis at above 1280x1024 just stupid at this point anyway.

For the time being, use the latest betas (180.42/43), as they seem stable enough. The 180 series of drivers give the GX2 a bit more attention driver wise, although the card should do Crysis fine by itself...

Once the drivers are in, get into the NVIDIA control panel, and make sure multi-GPU mode is set to on.

Note the OP said that he could tell the diffrence in non-Crysis games, so I'm chalking this one up to Crysis being Crysis. You have to realise the GX2 starts to stuggle at 1980x due to its lack of RAM. It should be running faster in Crysis than you are describing though...

As for heat, I used rivatuner to set the fan speed to 80% constant, which keeps the card below 75C max (note, that Rivatuner gives the option for two fans, one for each card. Only one of these actually does anything, so set 1 of them to 100% to see which one is the actual fan controller).

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hey to op, i just got this evga 9800gx2 today and i have no issues with crysis. im running vista home premium and the latest nvidia drivers. i play crysis on all high settings in dx10 and get an avg fps of 50. my nvidia control panel settings are set to this:

multi-gpu enabled
multi gpu-performance mode set to force split frame rendering
multi display set to single display performance.

try those and see what you get.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

the max wattage a GX2 uses under load is 193 so he's fine with that psu, yeah you could have a defective card my friend.

paintballwizzx

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
well as soon as evga accepts my step up request im moving up to a 280. Im sick of not having good graphics! lol hopefully the 680w can handle a 280