Crysis Beta and Requirements

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/crysis/beta/

Here is an Open (if you are a fileplanet member) Beta for Crysis. I am posting this just for general information. But to keep this OT for this board, I was wondering if anyone knows (or can get into this beta and find out) what the requirements are for the game. They should be known (or close to known) if they are doing a public beta test. I can only find speculation when I search for the requirements and it seems to be a popular question on this board.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6157&p=94

im not entering in on the contest but this is the minimum req. for the MP beta...

From offical readme (US).txt in the Crysis_MP_Beta_5416
Code:
==================================================================
System Requirements
==================================================================

Crysis Multiplayer Beta requires DirectX 9.0c. You can
install DirectX 9.0c by following the onscreen prompts during the
game's installation process.

REQUIRED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS:

· OS: Windows XP. This Betatest can be played on Vista but Vista is not officially supported.

· CPU (Single Core): Intel P4 3.2 GHz/AMD Athlon 3200+ or higher

· RAM: 1.5 GB

· Disk Drive*: 8X or faster DVD-ROM drive

· Hard Drive: 4 GB or more of free space

· Video: DirectX 9.0c, NVIDIA 7... series/ATI X... series or higher

· Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

· Multiplayer: 2 to 32 players, network or Internet connection required (Cable, DSL, or faster
connection)

Note: While you will be able to play Crysis Multiplayer Beta with the specifications above, play experience may improve
if you have additional RAM, a faster CPU or a better graphic card. Please refer
to the section on Optimizing Graphical Performance in this ReadMe
file for more information.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Wow, if this stays the same for the full game, I would actually be able to play it. Good find. I'd like to keep this near the top for a while if possible so that other board members here can see this beta if they miss it elsewhere.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I think it is an exclusive to fileplanet. Also, I guess the keys have all been distributed for this round but there are two more left.

Another important note is that the Demo arrives September 25. I think the demo should be good for those wondering how the full version will run.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Like I said, just because a game has tons of hype doesnt mean its going to need a butt load of graphics, because then noone would buy it.

This should shut some of the idiots up :p

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
lol..I meet the requirements somehow...p4 3.2 prescott and an x700...lol.

It's funny..But I really don't want to play it with this old rig. I'mma wait till I get my new pc before I even attempt to play crysis.

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Does anyone believe them minimum spec requirements anymore, i know i don't.
They used to mean the game would be playable, now it just seems to mean the game will install.
Any of the newer games i'd not even bother trying if i had minimum, i now think of recomended as minimum to be able to play the game.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Well they are optimizing it. Their recommended system is pretty much the minimum requirement in order to play the game in the lowest possible settings for full enjoyment. Older machines will probably be able to play the game as well but it will be quite choppy. Heck..I consider my 3.2 prescott and x700 pro garbage. But I don't have the funds to purchase a new rig just atm..so I'mma just wait till I can afford a new one to play anything new.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

Honestly this is because in the computer world everything is sold through the use of semantics (mostly in the hardware realm), for example, You will most likely never see a box printed saying "Minimum requirements to play the game" but "Minimum requirements to RUN the game" instead, this is a clever way of advertising that was most likely made by the squeaky rats we know as PR.

The only solution to this is if average people weren't so damn stupid and lazy, and would actually educate themselves, if that happened, then the deception would be pointless and developers could just label their boxes with the proper system requirements to not only play the game, but ENJOY it (Which are two different things in the minds of most PR guys).

In fact it was today when I saw an old ad of intel saying that if it had the "Pentium IV Inside" or "Celeron Inside" you were assured to have the best microprocessors. Even though the Athlon XP and 64 were superior... but still.

Yea i hear what you are saying Emp like i said on a different thread a day or so ago if you dont at least half know what you are talking about it wont matter what you are buying you will get shafted :(

As far as the crysis specs go i just think it would be kinda nice if the min specs were the high specs for Far Cry then obviously the high would be whatever the manufacturers fastest cards are.
Will it even have max settings or are we looking at another Oblivion here?
Mactronix

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I have the feeling it will be very well optimized and depending on your resolution you'll be able to run it around max/extremely ultra high, but running on 2560x1600 with max settings will definitely be out of the question for a while.

I think thier main aim is to cast as wide a net as possable and as has been said they will catch people who wont really be able to play/enjoy it properly.
On a side note
Emp do i see a couple of additions to your list of hated cards? :)
Mactronix

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
it seems a more reliable way to interpret minimum requirements for most games, is to actually look at the recommended requirements. the recommended requirements should actually be considered the minimum for enjoyable gameplay... where the actual minimum should be considered what it takes to make the game even be able to run at all, regardless of performance. (eg, the game may run at 1 fps or less with minimum specs, not at all playable really, but it runs)

james_8970

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
This may interest you guys.
DX9 vs. DX10 – Multiplayer differences
Source: TotalCrysis.com 09/13/2007

"To shed some light into one of the most discussed topics regarding Crysis multiplayer I would like to explain you the differences between Crysis MP DX9 and DX10.

As for the DX9 version we won’t have physics and day and night cycle in-game. That means you won’t be able to shoot down trees and/or alter any other objects than vehicles on the map. Additionally the time of day setting doesn’t change dynamically. This is caused due to the tremendous server load such physics might cause on crowded gaming servers. Still you will be able to experience maps with different time of day settings since the maps can be altered in the Sandbox2 Editor.

Rather than providing the community partially working features we limit this for the DX10 version only. Due to the strong hardware available with DX10, server load is less and performance is increased. This ensures the pure physics and day and night cycle experience without any limitation.

Gamers with a DX10 card are able to play on DX9 servers, but with the limitation of the respective server. Vice versa it is not possible for gamers with DX9 cards to play on DX10 servers due to the limited features."
Source http://www.crysisdemo.com/news.htm
May be the first time we see DX9 cards severally crippling the eye candy in a game.
James

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

If you are referring to the HD 2900Pro and 8700GTS, then I certainly hope not! Those cards look REALLY promising and I really want ATI to do well, same goes for nvidia. Market needs competition :D and that's where the money is.