Crysis CPU Performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Yes, things like MSN, Thunderbird and Windows Sidebar can kill performance. I'd use AMD Fusion to disable them, and every other background process, automatically. They hog RAM and CPU time, and some of them can trigger 2d mode and kill your graphics horsepower.

Processor Power Management is in under System in Control Panel.

Can we have a 3dmark score so we can see if your system is underperforming in other applications?

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Sorry, I'm on my XP machine right now. I'll check tomorrow where Power Management is exactly, if nobody else has by then.

You've checked all your clocks, right?

if you hit "windows" type "power" in search it will come up in the program list as Power Options. check High Performance then click change plan settings then change advanced power settings. you should see processor power management below.

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
3326 (system) + 1024 (video) = 4350 (Total)
Vista x32 only supports 4096, so you are wasting 254 MB of precious ram for not having vista x64 edition.

If you give a gig to vista and the programs that you're running, that leaves Crysis with only 2 gigs system memory, which should work but is undesirable.

If the game plays fine for a while and then slows down, you might have a heat problem. Also, you might have malware or broken software that is eating ram, or even something as simple as a disk with errors in the pagefile.

From Task Manager (Ctrl + alt + del), click "Performance" tab. Click (Admin) Resource Monitor. How many Memory faults / second are you getting? If this number is 300+, you need more ram. On my system with 8 gigs of ram, this number is usually less than 10.

Note: a "Memory Fault" is not an error. I know it's a dumb name.

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Blah tired, "A memory fault is not an error" lol. Sorry, the correct terminology I was looking for was "Hard Fault."

You're looking for Hard Faults/Sec. Goodnight.

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Check the power plug in the back of the graphics card. If all games are affected it looks to me that your GPU is under powered. Sometimes one of the contact pins can slip back and not make correct contact.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
3Dmark is crashing once it hits the AI test and I'm already getting below 30fps in both graphic tests on trial settings. Getting almost no memory hard faults and I'll try flashing the bios now.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Hmmmm... so it's definitely not Crysis' fault then. Power management is in Control Panel/Power Options. Do you get a BSOD error code when it crashes? In any case, try running Prime95, and see if it crashes or gives errors.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
The reason why I think it's a Crysis problem is because I run Farcry 2 DX10 Ultra with no aa and get over 30fps all the time with 1680x1050. If Warhead would stop crashing maybe I could test it, but I'll wait until I go home and try normal.

The only game I have seen lag like this is in Crysis besides the 3Dmark crashing before the BIOS update.

I don't know if any of you played Neverwinter Nights 2, but this is a poorly optimized game, no?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I only played it for a short time, so I don't really know. I should go back and play it, though, as I liked what I played of it. I think that's when my hard drive died or something similar and lost all my stuff. :(

Did you run the patch for it? That would definitely help it it's vanilla Crysis.

So just Warhead crashes? Not the original Crysis?

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Yea, well I'll probably try re-installing that as well, but i mean if I'm doing smooth Farcry 2 max with no aa and 1680x1050, it should be a good sign?

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Crysis is acting up again, less then 30 fps on low settings after a reformat. None of the other games are affected and this is really only happening to. 512mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.