Crysis Demo cleverly rigged?

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
I see a lot of people saying that the crysis demo hasn’t used 4 cores and only uses 2. But crytek said that was optimized for multiple cores. Many people argue that it is a demo and that it will in the final release, while others disagree.

Sometimes I have to think that if the game would eat up those other cores then it would run that much better. Does anyone think that crytek purposely rigged the demo versions to only use 2 cores so that a mad frenzy of people will start buying new hardware to play the game at the desired settings? Then the final release uses all cores effectively and the games run wonderfully and everyone is happy.

This is probably total bull, but I’m just trying to make sense of how Cytek boasted their advanced game engine and how it will be optimized for multiples cores and then a demo barely even uses 2... Anyone else confused?

TheRealSimmonz

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
I do not know if Crytek rigged the demo to use less than four cores, but I do know that it did not support SLI. It only gave me an option to use 16X AA vs the 32X that most SLI supporting games let me use. My point is that it may have been important to get the demo done faster and leave out certain things like multicore support and SLI support. I also know that Intel gave them a free Penryn processor, so getting people to go out and spend a lot of money wouldn't be a bad way to pay back the favor.

That's a good conspiracy theory and I like a good conspiracy theory. I don't think Crytek rigged anything, I think that Crysis has been so overhyped that folks are/were expecting some massive resource hog that absolutley required that latest and greatest in hardware to run at playable frames. Fact is, if Crytek wants the game to sell, they'll make the game run on the least of machines or whatever Joe Average can buy from Dell or BestBuy nowadays.

However, a conspiracy theory I do support is that M$ purposely released Vista knowing that it was all crap and eye candy because the bean counters crunched the numbers and they realized the diminshing returns by maintaining XP support as well as in an effort to push DX10 on the industry.

Having had some background in Software marketing/sales: Demos are most certainly *not* created with full functionality. **KNOW** that Multi-threaded applications are hard to program, and God Forbid something didn't work because it'd be all over the Inter-Webz about what a crap blah blah blah blah...... But demos are very much necessary from a Marketing perspective to keep people interested and to back up the Hype machine.

So what do you???? You disable functionality that hasn't completed testing (multithreading, X-fire/SLI, etc), and put out a demo that WORKS. Even if it isn't optimized. Spend a lot of time hyping how "Cutting Edge" the thing is to get around the poor-er performance and the lack of full functionality. Talk about yoru plans to have the thing be challenging from a HW perspective for the coming generation, etc etc etc... Then when it hits the streets and performs better than the Beta you hype the "improvements" you've made out of all of the "Valuable Feedback The Gaming Community Provided" during the Beta.

Now: UNDERSTAND that this *is* a cutting edge game that very well does put a thorough beating on a machine. So don't take the above comments as some kind of Scheme. They're just trying to get something that works on the streets as soon as they can, but *really* don't want something that would be corrected through routine QA testing to blow the whole deal up in their faces. So you create a 'safe' demo with the less-well-tested stuff disabled so people can at least play with it.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

I agree that crysis has been overhyped. First, anything using more than one core is multicored...even dual core :sarcastic:. Second, people have been saying the demo is derated, but have no clue or evidence beyond opinions based on benchmarks, which them selves where designed to test CPUs, not the demo. Third, people still clearly dont understand the different types of multi threading....depending on what type of mutlithreading crysis uses, it might not even be possible to limit the cores the demo accesses. Since no one has presented any info demonstrating which type of MT crysis uses, they are all talking out of their arses. Finally, to "de-tune" a demo would require extra work. Crysis is already months behind its original release date. I doubt crytek wanted to invest programmers time creating a "special" demo, which underperforms relative to the actual products maximum potential.

IRT MS--I disagree its a conspiracy that "M$ purposely released Vista knowing that it was all crap and eye candy because the bean counters crunched the numbers and they realized the diminshing returns by maintaining XP support as well as in an effort to push DX10 on the industry"

I call that MS SOP--Standard Operating Procedure

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
Listen people, we don’t care how over hyped you think crysis is, so dont even go through the time and effort to communicate that to us. Other than that lets keep the posts on topic. I admit I am ignorant when it comes to all things PC but I’m just trying to figure things out so let’s keep the good speculation coming!

From my standpoint some things just don’t make sense to me, but I have to say Scotteq's thought did make sense to me. To disable certain things like that to make a demo that’s less buggy and more playable for the time being seems reasonable?? Anyone?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I dont know what yall are talking about the demo ran perfect for me with all high settings and 1920x1200 res @ 60 fps all the time...wait, wait a minute...oops I said that backwards, I meant 06 fps! My bad guys! lol

Best,

3Ball

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
LOL 3Ball. I don't even want to image what it will look like on my single core AMD then. Probably the same as the CPU tests in 3D Mark 06!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
NAW! Crysis is not overhyped even the demo runs as anticipated so the real thing will be killer. Yea I have a wicked machine and have no problem pushing 1920x1080 all high without a glitch. Thats what the game was meant for though. And yes it supports multiple cores, and YES it is SLI capable. How do I know this? Look at this screen shot I made just for you guys. I had to run the game in window mode at a smaller res so you guys could see, that it is in fact using all cores. It doesn't max them all out but it works them all from the usage graphs and the temperature rise I get from all cores. The CPU cores average 40c to 45c when idle. When running Crysis they all jump from 50c to 57c. Two cores work harder than the other but the remaining also show clear indication of work. Also notice that my two 8800's go from an idle temp of 55C to an even 70C, both of them with the SLI indicator clearly showing the SLI load balance between the two.

Honestly, I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about.. :sarcastic:

crysis1.jpg

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Many people are reporting that the demo does not use multicore but the full version will be somehow better.

Not sure what to think at this point. I am not buying any new hardware until the full game is out and benched on tons of settings and hardware pieces. Hopefully toms gets a crysis review and benches out ASAP, using single cores, duals, quads, penryn, windows Xp, Vista 32bit, 64bit, SLI, 8800 vs 3800HD, 2gigs ram vs 4, hard drives maybe even ect ect.

Lots of benchmarks need to be done on this game when it comes out! BUt if it really does make poor use of quads and SLI, that will be terrible news for us long time Crysis fanatics =,(

General_Disturbance

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I agree with warezme. It is a little mind boggling, really, that people are whining and crying (in oblivious ignorance) that "THEIR 4 CORES ARENT BEING UTILIZED!".!!!! Do you REALLY WANT all 4 cores at 100% usage, have you really been expecting that!!!?? If the game maxed out all 4 cores, it would be a pretty sh**y laggy game!

I've always wanted to bring this up, so thanks warezme for doing so. And just because the game is multithreaded don't expect all 4 cores to be running the same usage either!!! Some tasks require more processing than others, but you DO SEE increased use on all 4 cores when running Crysis.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

yea man, some folks would rather delve into MS and Crysis conspiracy theories than look at a clear example of what to expect with their own two eyes.... unbelievable. I'm not a crysis fanatic, personally I don't care who buys it or doesn't, I know I wont, ;) , but thats besides the point. I think crysis will run real well on just about any machine because its made to scale easily.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Sorry Warezme but I'm even less convinced seeing you're post that it is utilizing 4 cores. I'd want to see quad cpu usage at more than 55% not 21% before I'd believe it is using more than two cores. Increase in temps or not .21 x 4 is still less than one.

My experience on a dual core with the "stock" demo that it seldom uses more than one core. Vehicles may change that, I did see higher CPU usage with the hacked map for the demo that introduces all the vehicles. My cpu usage goes into the 70-80% range when flying the chopper.

From what the developers were saying early on I would have expected to see more CPU usage when introducing AI and physics. My own tests don't show this happening with the demo. For example blow up a building truck etc. ie. physics, there is no real spike on the second core. Fire off a a shot a shot alerting the AI to me at a busy are and again no spike on the second core, (credit the Logitech G15 keyboard for making it easy to monitor this stuff).

Still I think people should reserve judgment at least till the final game is released.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
The demo has no big explosions. like the one that levels the whole bloody island, so until you get on of those i dont think it is safe to talk.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i ran this demo on 3 raptor system with 3.6ghz quad - q6600 and oc 8800gtx
DSC_0183.jpg

it ran an amazing 10fps with 13k 3dmark06 system - of coarse that was very high and 4x aa

with aa off it ran 20fps

standing at rock with nothing moving it ran 35fps - i say the demo is rigged

NOW FOR THE INTERESTING PART

I RAN THE DEMO WITH asus probe, nvidia monitor and quad core monitor up. The game rotates cores, is skips from 4 to 2 to 3 to 4

i think the game will run all 4 and the skip is the suprise in wait when game ships next week.

whats really weird is the game is not laggy at 10fps its just slow like running in sticky jello smoothly - i guess they will smooth out the lag for the newbie systems.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i wish i took a screen shot with the demo up

fps meter running

imagine a small game box 2/3 size of the screen

test3.jpg

systems shipped so the screen shots are on the comp

i have never seen any app rotate cores like that - i am sure that the multi core will be enabled and the rotation is the by product of the severed mutli core support severed/

i must say running through bushes shooting leaves and branches is interesting

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I don't think Crysis is overhyped. I think whenever anything gets extremely popular or something, there's always that crowd that says it's overhyped. I mean it's overhyped for a reason right? :sarcastic:

I haven't tried the actual demo yet, but I know one thing about it: It's a demo. It's to give you a little taste of what the game can look or feel like. Maybe if they made it quad-core optimized or SLI/Cross-fire optimized, the file size would probably increase. Besides, demos are free, why put so much effort in them?

Drivers needs to be optimized too, as Nvidia and ATI are both furiously working on. I fully expect a 8800GTX running mostly on high with decent frame rates on the real deal when everything settles down.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Here is a link to a site that has other links that show you how to unlock some of the advanced full game features on the Crysis demo. I have not tried any of the unlocks.....I did play the demo for a while....cool graphics...but.....same old fps...........I thought they said it supported dual core.....which would mean multi-core......but who knows what the final release will be like.

http://www.gamersglobal.com/news/253