zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Hello,
I ordered crysis the other day and have it arriving on tuesday. I wanted to see how it looked on my crossfire 4850's so i downloaded the pre-release demo, and it looks really really great but crashes A LOT. Is this normal in the demo, or is something wrong with my system and/or drivers. I'm running CCC 8.6. I just want to make sure this problem won't happen when I recieve the real game.
Thanks,
Zman

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
What operating system are you running? I seem to remember vista needed some patch's downloading to make crysis stable. I ran the demo under xp with no stability issues (plenty of performance issues though) I actually found the retail version faster on my system, Since then ive upgraded to vista and had to download a load of patch's to get crysis stable, I seem to remember my graphics drivers caused issues as well, but since I got all patched up crysis has ran problem free on my system.

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Ok yeah because the demo was from when crysis first came out, they havn't added any patches to it probably especially for the 4850.

randomizer

Champion
The demo was buggy, which is expected since it is pre-release code. Only time will tell if you end up with problems in the retail game. Make sure you update to v1.2.1 (also called 1.21 on some sites), and note that the version number displayed in the menu will be something totally different to that, which can be confusing.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Open the console in the game (press this button `~, the key left of 1), you'll see all the errors that happen during the gameplay, you have to be playing a level or online to open console. I have Vista and the full game patched to 1.2 and the 1.2.1 hotfix and it crashes sometimes, not often. Data execution prevention closes it at times because it thinks it unstable. typing R_displayinfo 1 in the console shows FPS. Its something like that.

randomizer

Champion
There are hundreds of minor errors that occur during gameplay, but they don't cause problems in general. I haven't had too many stability issues with Crysis that I didn't cause myself, like setting e_shadows_max_texture_size to 0. :D

randomizer

Champion
Yes it is, but as was mentioned, it still has hundreds of minor errors. Usually they are sounds or textures that are "missing" but you won't notice it unless you bother to open the console and read the errors.

It wasn't Vista. I had the demo running for a while before buying the game on Vista Premium 32bit and it never crashed. I did have a bad memory leak that caused it to eat up all 4GB of my RAM once causeing the system to freak out after closing the game and that made it into the retail version but was fixed with the 1.1 patch.

Its still not very well optimized (this according to the head of Crytek) but should run great on that GPU. Of course drivers will be better soon (I hope) and should provide a bit more stability and performance for ya.

TRENDING THREADS