Crysis SP Demo Performance

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abigsmurf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
I'm running it on a E6750 with a 1950pro and I can get around 20fps (720 res) with textures, post processing and shaders on high.

If I turn on 2xfsaa the frame rate plummets to about 2fps which seems insane. Why does even low level AA cause such an immense impact on this game?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
If I turn on 2xfsaa the frame rate plummets to about 2fps which seems insane. Why does even low level AA cause such an immense impact on this game?

Simply because there are a massive amount of "jaggies" that must be upsampled. Notice how many jaggies are on each individual leaf, buildings, guns, people etc?

incarnate

Distinguished
May 17, 2007

"True" DirectX 10 or not, every game that I have played so far that had DX10 "features" enabled have ran like absolute sh!t. I honestly don't think the current video cards are ready for DirectX 10 anything or games that really utilize DX9c. I think they need to double the performance of the 8800GTX in order to have anything decent out there.

Again I am talking about gaming over 1280x1024 resolution and over 1680x1050 for that matter. There are a lot of 22" plus LCD monitors out there.

The 360 doesn't seem to do too bad at 1080P and I wish I could comment on the PS3 but every game I have for it is 720P (go figure).

lp231

Splendid
On my rig at stock speeds no OC!

specs:
PD: 2.8GHz
4GB DDR2 800 (4x1GB)
160GB SATA 3G in RAID0
ATi HD2900XT 1GB w/GDDR4 (CAT 7.10)
Creat. X-Fi (2.15.0002)
Asus Deluxe with P35 chipset (8.3.1009) (Bios:0404)
Vista Ultimate x64

Game setup: 64bit version only
1280x1024, no AA, all setting at "High" except this "object something" (can't remember exact name)
it's default is set at "very high" and I can't change it.
avg fps: 33

with everything set to "very high" at 1280x1024 with no AA
I get 17FPS

This is done by using fraps.
Also this games recommends that you install a KB patch.
It's KB940105
KB patch, click here

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Neither console supports Direct X10 and 360 games playing at 1080p like Halo 3 are actually being upscaled from lower resolutions.

sgtwally

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I think Nvidia just needs to release a new video card that is at least 2x faster than the 8800GTX so we can play some of the more recent games at 1920x1200 with some high / very high settings and a decent frame rate. This is another example of a game that we just need a bigger, better video card for, the problem is, one doesn't exist.

After seeing my systems performance in Crysis, Dirt, UT3, WIC, COD4, and Bioshock (just to name a few) at 1920x1200 I want/need a new video card. SLI isn't going to get me to where I want to be I need Nvidia to release a new video card that is fast. DX10 anything runs like sh!t on all current video cards, ATI or Nvidia, SLI or Crossfire on any resolution over 1280x1024. Add Call of Juarez DX10 Bench and Lost Planet DX10 bench in as well.

I highly doubt any of the framerate issues we are experiencing can be corrected by video drivers, and all the games I listed above are definately GPU bound not CPU bound.

Nvidia I beg release a new kick ass card! We need it! If you build it, we will buy it!

I agree with you almost completely, however, nvidia drivers are currently being optimized for Improved compatibility BioShock, Crysis, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Hellgate: London, and World in Conflict. Most of which are dx10, I know after the official release of the game and the next set of drivers, we will see better performance, but people such as you and I wont be satisfied until a 9800GTX or better is released.

rhysee

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Do not use Very High settings folks .. its for future video cards not yet MADE!..
8800GTX only card and ATI equiv can run this game at high settings + 8 x AA , all those with GTS please set your Shader and Shadow setting to Medium with no or 2,4 X AA and your FPS will be ok .

rhysee

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
PS I meant these setting for LCD res.. I dont know about anything higher than 1024x1280 as I have a 17"er.. sorry folks.. use this command line to enable FPS
r_DisplayInfo = 1

Soggy_Popcorn

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I know a lot of screenshots were taken on medium to low settings, but does anyone else think that the lighting looks like someone took a dump on the screen and smeared it around? :heink: ...I think maybe they were running those uber-awesome lighting scenes on something better than a Core2/GTS... :ange:

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Woah guys, I am getting massively confused.

On the Crysis Demo, I can only set Textures to High. Very High is blocked out. I have an 8800GTS 640.

Can anyone with OVER 640Mb vRAM access Very High Textures on the Demo?

I was under the impression that the demo only went to High Textures.

If this is the case I REALLY regret not going GTX or 2900XT 1GB!!!

rhysee

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
I repeat..

Do not use Very High settings folks .. its for future video cards not yet MADE!..
8800GTX only card and ATI equiv can run this game at high settings + 8 x AA , all those with GTS please set your Shader and Shadow setting to Medium with no or 2,4 X AA and your FPS will be ok .

This is a serious game and wilst not very CPU intensive .. ie Quads arent fully utilised.. Its very very video card dependant.. use your graphics setting properly

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
No, I mean, even if it is a "slideshow" I don't mind crawling around at 7 FPS just to "Preview" Very High Textures. Very High Textures are mainly vRAM dependent, I would just like to "preview" what I am in for if I upgrade my videocard in a year. Just curiosity.

In other words, can anyone here set Textures to Very High? Or is the Demo limited to High textures??

Like in GRAW 1, if you had a 256 MB videocard, it locked you out of even trying the highest textures.

I am not sure if anyone understands me, I'll just try when I buy the full version.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
OK, thanks wbirkin, that is EXACTLY what I needed to know.

Ok, my next question is, if you have an older computer, such as Opteron 165 DC @ 2.25 Ghz, 8800GTS 640, and you put Vista x 64 with 4 GB RAM in it, and then:

Set Very High Textures, Very High Objects, and left everything else on Medium, do you think the game would get at least 25 FPS??? Or just not bother until my next computer upgrade??

Sorry for the noob questions, I haven't even gotten to use Vista at all yet!!!

aznstriker92

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007

I know what u mean man. Just use the shot gun, one shot kill.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
So has anybody else had my problem? Every once in a while it looks like I am in a box. I am not trapped though. If I move a couple of steps one way or the other, it goes away. It has gotten much better with the nvidia crysis beta drivers but I still get it once in a while. Here is the picture of what it looks like

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
i dont get that but i do get the left of my gun vanishing for a while but it only happens on the gun you drop in with.

Cant wait to see this game on vista :)))

4 gig of ram is worth it..... I got that box thing for like .5 of a split second when i jumped in the water by a pier once, but i generally just get flickering rocks in the distance. but i am using an ati.

i am moving from xp 32 to vista 64 so i expect a smallish drop in performance from high to v high, ane1 know how big a diff it will make? als o i am going to STRIP my vista to the core, all i want is kernel, dx, limited gui. VIVA Vlite!

The things i spend my money on....

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Going from High in XP to Very High in Vista x64 the performance is huge; the game is completely unplayable on Very High settings with my overclocked 8800GTX.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, the difference between high and very high is huge, both in performance and IQ; seriously, it's like a different game.

What's interesting is that my 320MB GTS can run very high textures with little performance impact. You'd think that with all the VRAM available on today's high end cards they would opt to use it, but I'm not complaining :D

Anyways after some time playing/fooling with the demo I have found that the shader quality setting has BY FAR the most impact on performance. I would like to see what effect overclocking the shader domain on my GTS would have, but of course, the new drivers have broken overclocking with Rivatuner :??:

pauldh

Illustrious

Very high is DX10 only, so you need Vista or it's greyed out.

edit: Sorry I see this was answered already.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
...you can use very high in xp, just look at incrysis forums or tweakguides, except you're missing one thing which I guess is unique to dx10.

Tweakguides ain't working for me right now, but in this post is pretty much it.
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11222

There's more posts that are more clear on that forum, just i'm not going to look for what I don't need much farther than this.

TRENDING THREADS