Crysis Warhead $699 Gaming PC from EA Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychobob

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
What a rip. I just built a similar PC from newegg for $500 including rebates and shipping. Of course, I used the cheapest components available which i'm this 'crysis' system has done.

boomhowar

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I think this is great. This is what the PC gaming industry needs. Some standardized gaming platform that console players can easily transition to.

Building pcs for yourself will always bring about more bang for ones buck, this is just a given. I hope we see more of these machines as I am tired of playing poorly ported games. Mercenaries 2 sucks on PC 1280x720 only.

I hope we see more standardized pc platforms and perhaps more of a hardware grading tier.. as if hardware manufacturers could ever agree on this.

psychobob

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Well, my quick $500 build includes gaming mouse and keyboard. But yeah, I didn't include an OS. So you would save a bit over $60 building it from scratch with the XP pro. That's not as bad then.

G

EXCEPT

what i love about this article... is no where does it say what resolution they want it to be playable at... if its like 1024 by 768... its such a rip... if its like 1680 by 1050... thats awesome

but it's more than likely a very low resolution that few people use anymore... even 1280 by 1024 is pushing it in my opinion... sure thats what most people have... but what does that say about optimization? currently older cards such as the 8800 gt and 9600 gt can play crysis on all high at over 30 fps at that res... so it better be a higher resolution other wise the whole optimization spiel they're throwing around is crap

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I will admit its a good pc for a person that wouldnt build their own gaming rig...but for must of us here, we could easily put together a better rig with a quad core, 4gigs of ram, and an HD4850, for about the same price..lol...(just put together something on newegg real quick, just to double check :) )

G

thogrom: I play Crysis on mostly high settings at 1900x1200 on an 8800GT, so it is very likely that that machine can play at high resolutions, especially since warhead is supposed to be more optimized.

G

“For us, it was really helpful, because we sort of had a hard cap,” Diemer added. “You couldn’t say, ‘It works on my computer, looks great on my machine.’ No no no, this is the benchmark, guys. If it sucks on this, the whole thing sucks. For us as a team, that was really valuable. We had a tangible border we could bump our heads into.”

PC game devs really need this kind of thinking. i hate it when a game comes out and its only playable on uber high-end machines. thats why id pick COD4 over crysis anytime as the better game..

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I like it!!! I also like that i have nearly the same specs as that machine and will be guaranteed to play high at 30 FPS!!! although i can already do that now with the now "old" Crysis...

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I like it!!! I also like that i have nearly the same specs as that machine and will be guaranteed to play high at 30 FPS!!! although i can already do that now with the now "old" Crysis...

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Great, so warhead is going to be even more optimised for nvidia only than the original crysis.

why not optimise for 4 platforms, one with an intel CPU and ATI card, one with a intel cpu and nvidia card, and the same again but with an AMD CPU.

and why not a quad core CPU??? crysis is, afterall, supposed to be multi-core compatible.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Isn't that a Cop Out? I mean putting XP so you can run it in DX9 instead of DX10 and say it's running in High Quality? [/citation]

QFT

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]predatorgsr2[/nom] thogrom: I play Crysis on mostly high settings at 1900x1200 on an 8800GT, so it is very likely that that machine can play at high resolutions, especially since warhead is supposed to be more optimized.[/citation]

LOL, no way.

a radeon 4870 plays 1680x1020 res all high (not v. high) but the 8800GT wont do. you'd need at least a GTX280 if not a 4870x2 to play at resolutions higher than than at high settings.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/4870-x2-amd,1992-5.html

evanerv

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I agree with the first guy. I'm from Canada and with our smaller market and higher prices I still can easily spec the entire PC including XP pro, gaming keyboard and mouse for under $600 CAD. As much as I'd like to think its about time for PC gaming to have a standard gaming rig, but A rip off is still a rip off. Besides did you guys hear the interview with Bernd Diemer from Crytek by IGN. Bernd said that the team specked out the PC over 2 months ago and it was $700 USD or so back then. If they still charge for $700 now then its really too pricy.

raceKinney

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
So here's the challenge: Can anyone build a better system cheaper? If not, this appears to be the way to go. If so, they've suddenly become someone I'd like to talk to about purchasing a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.