Crysis warheads low fps

soudi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
hi guys

i know that crysis warheads is a pretty demanding game but im getting low fps while infact i think that my hardware can get me higher !!!

im playing on 1280x1024 resolution and all other setting are maxed out (enthusiast )
note: anistropic filtering diabled
i tried two anti-aliasing methods: morphological, 8x multi-sampling

this is my current fps benchmarked by fraps :

morphological : min 25, avg 32, max 39
multi-sampling : min 26, avg 34, max 45

this my computer specs:

- core 2 quad q9550 overclocked to 3.4ghz on air ( cooled by thermaltake frio)
- amd hd 6870 stock
- kingstone 4gb ram 800 ( hence im on 1:1 ratio)
- mercury 750watts power supply

i seen benchmarks for gpus less powerful than mine getting higher fps even on higher resolutions
and most of the hd 6870 reviews and benchmarks got higher resolutions than mine

i thought my hardware could get me an easy 40+ fps specially with those modest resolutions

could it be my cpu is bottlenecking or the ram ?!!

whats wrong ?!!!!!

soudi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
yes it is ddr2, could this be the reason, and if so what should i do, do u think i should buy faster ram with tighter timings ?

but from what i know ram timing or speed effect on games fps is marginal, like 1 or 2 frames not more, so i dont thing im gonna gain much fps with a faster ram, or what do u think ?

database_89

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
It could be your memory, but something is telling me that its a different issue. Have you tried googling the problem? Someone might of had the same problem as you.

soudi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
i googled and couldnt find answers, im getting mad, i feel like i have done a mistake buying the hd 6870, im really disappointed, i hope its just something is wrong abt my pc that i can fix rather than the 6870 is the problem !! :(

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Your hardware is more than capable of running this game at that resolution.
is the pc new, or have you only upgraded the gpu ?
If you only upgraded it then, uninstall the current driver, clean the registry, then re install latest driver.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
if you want something to refrence i was running this at 1080p with that card and the 3 core amd at 3.3I had a few setting maxed and most on high with 4x AA at a higher res (the next one down from full 1080p) and getting 35FPS avg

soudi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
@55rang actually iv done all that, and even i formatted and installed a fresh copy of windows and still stock with the same problem, so im sure my problem is with hardware not software

@cburke82 thats what im really saying, my cpu is faster than yours and im using a lower resolution and still with lower fps, why ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw guys, this problem is not only with crysis, i feel it in all games, while im getting a playable fps with almost all games but when i compare my benchmarks with others they usually get higher fps with the same hardware of mine and sometimes with a lower end hardware

im starting to feel that my kingstone kvr800 value ram is the problem but i want a memory expert to give me an opinion, cz rams are expensive where i live (i live in Dubai) and if someone explained in details what are the link between ram speed and timing and fps that whould be nice :) btw my rams timing are 6-6-6-18 and im on 1:1 ratio on my current overclock

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I found that the in game quality setting affected the FPS more than the resolution. When you say max settings are you going with 8X AA that would stress that card. I would recommend hitting the button that scans your system and recommends settings (think its called recommended settings lol). You say you have all setting maxed at that res. I have swapped out some parts what I have now is a Phenom II X4 965 OC to 3.8mhz and a AMD HD 6950 with the 6970 bios flashed ( basically I have a 6970) When I play at FULL HD with all settings maxed I still only get 39FPS and I have to turn AA to X2 or X4 levels not X8. Are you adjusting things in CCC because this can sometimes have a real negative impact on FPS. Also how are you getting your FPS if your using frapps that sometimes makes your FPS take a hit. If you are using frapps try this instead.

hit the ~ key to bring up the consol. then type

r_displayinfo 1 and hit enter

you should now have an IN GAME fps counter that wont affect FPS.

On my rig I dont touch CCC. So to summerize I would put CCC to stock settings and let Crysis pick your setting for you and see what you get.

Keep us informed id like to see if that works :eek:

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
sorry for that long response. I just re read your post and think you should try this. Try setting everything at high with textures at very high 2 or 4 X AA and raise the res to 1650. The res will give you a better look than raising all the tabs up as far as you can and lowing the res. turn off fraps and try the other method of getting FPS you should be good then and your game will still look great on the setting im recommending. :bounce:

also I dont think ram speed will impact your game that much as long as you have the correct amount you should be good :)

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I think it's just CPU limited. I have a q9550 and 8gb ddr2 ram and SLI 465s and just tried out your settings and was getting anywhere from the mid 20s to mid 50s on the last level, average around 40 I would guess. Then I switched my resolution back to 1650x1050 and got the exact same results so I guess thats all the CPU can do.

On a side not is there an official benchmarking utility for warhead? I looked in the bin directories like the first one but didn't find any.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
how do you raise the resolution on a LCD?

AA emulates what happens when you play on monitors with higher resolutions. You can get a monitor with a higher native or use AA. But the latter have a bigger performance hit. LCD displays picture becomes better when they have a higher native and when your are running on its native. At 1080p there's no need for AA unless you see jaginess.
In Crysis disable Catalyst A.I
Basicly I was saying he doesnt have to lower his res if he has more options in game then turn it up and change other settings. Not that he should adjust his LCD in some way sorry if I was a little confusing there :na: