Question Crystal Disk Info shows hard drive as caution status what does this mean?

Jaywood79

Prominent
Mar 14, 2019
I ran Crystal Disk Info and it is showing it as caution status

current pending sector count
uncorrectable sector count

Crystal Disk Info shows hard drive as caution status

Is this some thing I should be worried about or concerned?

I have seen a spinning drive throw a caution in CrystalDiskInfo for C5/C6,and still work for another year....

Drives that have suffered partial head crashes can often only work a few hours more operating time, and every surface scan to attempt to 'fix' botched sectors, etc., shortens life even more quickly...(many are lucky if they get 12 more hours operating time)

If it contains your data, and you don't have it backed up, I'd do so soon...as in 'right now'. :)

USAFRet

Titan
I've seen drive show errors and work OK for a year or more.
I've also seen brand new drives (5 weeks old) show absolutely no errors, and be dead 36 hours later.

Whatever the drive is or is not doing, if you value the data on it at all...backup backup backup.

Jaywood79

Prominent
Mar 14, 2019
Probably.
Can you show screenshot?

Okay here is a screenshot..

2245667.jpg

The drive in question has equivalent of 3+ years of 24/7 use....for an 8 hour per day stereotypical office environment, ..the equivalent of 9 years of use? Given it's power on count of only 174, it seems the system was largely left on and perhaps only shutdown/reset perhaps ~once per week during it's 27K hour lifetime...

Time to spec out a replacement SSD, enjoying the perceived 3x speed boost :)

Jaywood79

Prominent
Mar 14, 2019
The drive in question has equivalent of 3+ years of 24/7 use....for an 8 hour per day stereotypical office environment, ..the equivalent of 9 years of use? Given it's power on count of only 174, it seems the system was largely left on and perhaps only shutdown/reset perhaps ~once per week during it's 27K hour lifetime...

Time to spec out a replacement SSD, enjoying the perceived 3x speed boost :)

The thing is I just don't feel safe using this drive with it saying caution, it is like playing Russian roulette.I'm worried it could die in a year or two or worse in a month or two.

Unless windows chkdsk can fix it?

On a side note I never turn off my Desktop computers, I have it run 24/7, no sleep mode, hibernation or any thing like that. This three old hard-drive of continue use never made it like my other 3 Desktop computers of 24/7 of 10 years of use.

The other two are Hitachi well may be that had some thing to do with it? Well I read Hitachi drives are out of business or WD took them over? So not sure what are the best drives now days.

I hear SSD do not last is long as hard drives if it does lot of read and writes to it. So not sure what drive to get as replacement.

popatim

Titan
The thing is I just don't feel safe using this drive with it saying caution, it is like playing Russian roulette.I'm worried it could die in a year or two or worse in a month or two.

That is the same confidence level you should have even if you just installed the drive. Things die and sometimes you don't even get a warning, its just a matter of "when"! As already mentioned, anything important needs to be backed up.

You currently have 22 failed sectors and 22 more pending. The Pending will resolve itself when the drive gets around to retesting those sectors. They will either test good or fail. If they fail and data was recoverable then they will become reallocated sectors and the data moved to the spare sectors that the drive intentionally has for this exact purpose. If the data couldn't be recovered then your Uncorrectable Sector count will grow

Last edited: