[SOLVED] CrystalDisk show yellow caution but why the movie in the HDD still watchable ?

rekotomo

Reputable
May 2, 2016
I understand that it's been asked in this forum and other internet website many times.
So, CrystalDisk show three yellow on my HDD :
  1. reallocated sector count
  2. current pending sector count
  3. uncorrectable sector count

The conclusion I read from the internet :
  • the drive is failing, unfixable
  • don't use the drive anymore
  • back up the files
  • get a new hard drive

The strange thing, I can watch the movie within this failing drive from the beginning till the end without problem
And the problem is, I can't copy/backup the files to another drive.
There are 9 movie mkv files with file size vary from 9 to 20 gb.
If I copy it manually, in the middle of the process it fail.
Using Premiere Seagate Data Recovery is also failed in the middle of the process.

So I'm curious why I still can watch the movie without problem but I can't copy it to another drive ?
Also, is there anything I can do to be able to copy/backup the files ?

Any kind of response would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.

Solution
i use media player classic hc and it gives me the option to save a copy elsewhere once a movie is loaded up.

since it is loading the movie into ram it should be able to save a copy in your case as well. but it may not get the entire file and there may be errors. if the player is skipping bad frames and other issues and hiding it from you, then those will also be present in the file it saves.

but hey may as well give it a shot, nothing to lose :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i use media player classic hc and it gives me the option to save a copy elsewhere once a movie is loaded up.

since it is loading the movie into ram it should be able to save a copy in your case as well. but it may not get the entire file and there may be errors. if the player is skipping bad frames and other issues and hiding it from you, then those will also be present in the file it saves.

but hey may as well give it a shot, nothing to lose :)

Solution