CrystalDiskinfo Caution Reallocated sectors count

bshachek

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
I have a Toshiba C50-A laptop. When I checked my HDD (500 GB) with crystalDiskinfo disk health shows caution reallocated sectors count:16. . Does it mean my HDD is failing? Does it have bad sectors? I checked with Chkdsk which showed no errors.No BSOD or corrupt files so far.
I am planning on getting an SSD and clone my HDD. Is cloning possible with bad sectors on source drive. Any recommendations on free cloning software to deal with this specific situation would be highly appreciated.
Tqy10.jpg

Solution
Backup important data now!
After that run error scan full (not quick), if it doesnt show bad sectors i would not be sure what to say, but if you see any bad block (shown as red in hdtune) i would consider swapping hdd.

If it shows ok i would still watch that reallocated doesnt increase.
Try with hdtune pro and toshiba's own software and report back, Crystal isnt good for me since it showed caution on one boot (reboot in between) but another good and always 140 reallocated on wd.
And thats small amount of hours to get bad sectors, for instance my 1TB p300 has 5k hours and just 10 reallocated out of 100?

bshachek

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018

Tested with hdtune pro it also shows warning no. of retired sectors :16. Reallocated event count :2. Toshiba doesn't have own disk utility. Screenshot of hdtune pro here:
https://imgur.com/a/7caornq
(For some reason embedding picture is not working)

Backup important data now!
After that run error scan full (not quick), if it doesnt show bad sectors i would not be sure what to say, but if you see any bad block (shown as red in hdtune) i would consider swapping hdd.

If it shows ok i would still watch that reallocated doesnt increase.

Solution