Crytek’s ‘The Climb’ Getting Free Touch Update In December

Status
Not open for further replies.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
lol, go for payed updates, even control updates, good way to piss the early adopters, it's not like they would loose anything, VR market is low and will no way take off if history has tought the anything is that VR / 3d bullshit doesn't work whatsoever !

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

3D TVs offered nothing compelling. It was just a slight upgrade to a decades old technology that everyone already had. There was no reason to get a 3D TV unless you happened to need a new TV.

VR and AR offer experiences that are not possible any other way and the experiences are incredibly compelling.
3D TVs also only had a few companies backing the tech.
VR is being backed by every major company in the tech industry. There has already been billions invested into the medium (I'd bet there's more invested into VR and AR already than the total investment into 3D TVs)

By all means, keep living in your bubble, but you're going to be eating your words in a couple of years. I'd bet my bottom dollar on it.

mattcrow

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

I would really like to believe what you're saying is true.
I know that a lot of money is being invested into the platform, but personally I seriously fail to see VR becoming as common as say smartphones. Average consumer is never going to buy it.
I have no doubt that it will take off for industrial purposes, I can see companies using it for visualising things, military, medical industry, even museums. I would love to see places like your good old "lazer" being open, with big open spaces where you could come in with your friends and play some crazy VR games.
I have no problem seeing this.

But VR becoming popular at homes? Nope...

fil333

Reputable
May 22, 2014
You have to have tried VR to make a statement like that. HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and PS VR offer a much more compelling experience than past prototypes. You also need titles made specifically for VR to take advantage of it.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I don't understand why you come to that conclusion.
VR is like a teleportation device. It allows you to "be" anywhere you can imagine.

VR and AR will be used in education, business, enterprise, medical and entertainment markets. You will be exposed to these technologies one way or another. Most people will be exposed at work or school first, but it's just a matter of time before everyone wants/gets VR hardware at home.
People made the same arguments about laptops 25 years ago. Look where that lead us.
Technology adoption happens exponentially quicker these days. It only took a handful of years before there were a billion smartphones out there. VR will be a similar path or quicker.

b12

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
You have not tried vr if you think it will flop lol. Its by far better than what any new console can do these days. The games they have are amazing. Feel like i just got my first nintendo again. Vr will easily take over and not flop. My company is already pursueing the use of vr for training purposes also.

Status
Not open for further replies.