Crytek Job Listing Reveals Intent to Bring CryEngine to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
One could just write an adapter layer with DirectX interface and OpenGL implementation and run the engine on top of that. Easier said than done, I guess.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
This sounds like the job from hell! You would really need to know your stuff, windows, linux, direct x, and opengl programming environments.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Direct3D -> OpenGL libraries already exist, likely CryEngine uses some sort of wrapper interface already. So shouldn't be all that bad graphics-wise, but DirectX is much more than just D3D.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Crytek sure does release some beautiful games... but I feel their money would be better spent on community and game support. They pretty much abandoned Crysis 3 MP with all of the community up in a roar about it being unbalanced, unmonitored, and unsupported by Crytek staff. Still, it was better managed than C2 MP was but Crytek really needs to invest in long term support and updates before I will continue buying their products.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

I fail to see how intelligent responses get downvoted while poorly thought out responses get upvoted on Tom's. An adapter layer is a bad choice for several reasons including performance. The entire lower layer will have to be rewritten in a cross platform system (though that may be partially done already).

My guess is that this isn't being done for Linux per se but to open the engine to Android devices and the mobile market.

Status
Not open for further replies.