Crytek Shows Off Warface at GDC 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Between this and Planetside 2, Call of Duty and BF are going to have to start offering more than just average MP.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Looks good. That was funny at 2:50. The guy is like here is some ammo. Take my damn ammo, somebody take it. I want to give my ammo away. Still nobody takes it :(

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Planetside 2, Warface, Quake Live, Blacklight: Retribution, TF2, Tribes: Ascend, Ghost Recon: Online.... Solid f2p FPS's, there's really not much reason to pay for an FPS at this moment in time.

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Considering the amount of time I play this type of game I'll take this any day over anything EA has to offer. Another free one that is on STEAM, a MMORPG available on all 3 platforms (Linux, OS X and MS) is Champions of Regnum. It's using the same model of pay for premium stuff. Only level 8 right now so can't speak for game much.

dwhapham

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
[citation][nom]CarolKarine[/nom]Well, no reason to pay for online fps. Stuff like Bioshock infinite... I would have paid double for that.[/citation]

/Agree

BioShock Infinite is most definitly one of the best FPS's I've every played. It's the "Half Life" or "doom 2" of this hardware generation.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
My son (23) got BioShock Infinite less than five days ago and has already beaten it. That's along with working a 40 hour/week job and taking to college classes. I think he said he only has about ten hours into it.

No way am I ever paying $50+ dollars for a 10 hour campaign game! That's just not right. Not everyone thinks online deathmatch (yea, I know there's other types like CTF) is all that matters.

That's why BioShock Infinite is definitely NOT the HL/D2 of this hardware generation. "Pretty" is only skin deep.

[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]Between this and Planetside 2, Call of Duty and BF are going to have to start offering more than just average MP.[/citation]

They offer great cinematic campaign missions. Well BF4 will now start offering that, and COD has been offering that.

Also, planetside 2 sucks.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
[citation][nom]stromm[/nom]My son (23) got BioShock Infinite less than five days ago and has already beaten it. That's along with working a 40 hour/week job and taking to college classes. I think he said he only has about ten hours into it.No way am I ever paying $50+ dollars for a 10 hour campaign game! That's just not right. Not everyone thinks online deathmatch (yea, I know there's other types like CTF) is all that matters.That's why BioShock Infinite is definitely NOT the HL/D2 of this hardware generation. "Pretty" is only skin deep.[/citation]

Most reviews have play time at about 15-20 hours. Ya, not much there but it does still hold on value when compared to other entertainment prices. How much would 15-20 hours of Movie at a Theater cost?

There are also a lot of ppl selling the game codes on line for 30 bucks or so...

Having been in the beta of Warface, I can tell you that it's NOT worth it. It claims to be an online shooter, but instead it downloads 15GB of files to your temp folders, without letting you move them... so anyone with a SSD is automatically out.

Then, even though the files are on the ssd, loading screens are hideous, and the game has connection errors like nothing else - I couldn't even make it halfway through the training level before it would disconnect me, and I tried four separate times.

Anthony Bruce

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
[citation][nom]loops[/nom]Most reviews have play time at about 15-20 hours. Ya, not much there but it does still hold on value when compared to other entertainment prices. How much would 15-20 hours of Movie at a Theater cost? There are also a lot of ppl selling the game codes on line for 30 bucks or so...[/citation]

Ok.

Approx. minutes for a decent movie 90-120 @ $8-$10 a ticket @ 6 movies = $48-$60 for 9-12 hours of Movie footage. So you get a whopping 3-8 hours more gaming time than movie time, which to many is quite some time... but that time doesn't quite equate better experience per dollar per hour.

Movies have the ability to captivate an audience, to shape the way they view things after watching, and to keep people talking about their stories way after it's debut. They all have insightful meaning to them, and try to teach some moral or message along the way.

Games don't have that same appeal anymore. SP games designed as such, with no MP mode, had these amazing stories, great atmosphere, and during the time amazing interactions with those elements. But when developers started thinking about how to recreate DM and CTF and other MP aspects into their games, they had to do what many gamers despise, cut out story for MP coding.

TL;DR: Movies and Games are not equal in entertainment, and the costs are actually more alike than most people are willing to believe. Maybe once gamers stop paying for games that recycle the same model over and over will gaming really be worth $60 a game.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]DarkSable[/nom]Having been in the beta of Warface, I can tell you that it's NOT worth it. It claims to be an online shooter, but instead it downloads 15GB of files to your temp folders, without letting you move them... so anyone with a SSD is automatically out.Then, even though the files are on the ssd, loading screens are hideous, and the game has connection errors like nothing else - I couldn't even make it halfway through the training level before it would disconnect me, and I tried four separate times.[/citation]
Dude it's a beta, you know beta as in B E T A, Before Everything was Tested Appropriately. Anyway, it's beta, not final product yet.

Jesus, these whiny kids today.

You can move your temp folder to another drive if you want. Stop complaining.

CarolKarine

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

he rushed through it then. I played for 20 hours (no deaths) and missed a good deal. and it's not hour per dollar that I'm measuring it by (BF or CoD would win then) I'm measuring by the fact that it made me cry with bittersweet loss at the end, I was so attached to the characters.

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]stromm[/nom]My son (23) got BioShock Infinite less than five days ago and has already beaten it. That's along with working a 40 hour/week job and taking to college classes. I think he said he only has about ten hours into it.No way am I ever paying $50+ dollars for a 10 hour campaign game! That's just not right. Not everyone thinks online deathmatch (yea, I know there's other types like CTF) is all that matters.That's why BioShock Infinite is definitely NOT the HL/D2 of this hardware generation. "Pretty" is only skin deep.[/citation]
Not even Skin deep, I played the game at max settings and some of the visuals nearly made me ragequit, like the confetti on the floating city at the beginning, or the flower boxes with the 2d texture wrapper.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Free to PAY games are against my religion. :) I'm not a fan of paying for my games forever either (but this is basically just that I guess). These days if the sticker is over $40 and I don't get more than that in hrs I put my wallet back and wait for the next strategy or rpg hit.

I think these are akin to buying lotto tickets. Really just a tax on the stupid. ;) The quickest way to make me not buy your game is have free to play included. When that line comes up in a review I immediately start reading a review on ANOTHER game as I cross yours off my list...LOL. DRM gets the same treatment. I will never buy Diablo 3 or apparently any future EA game as they go completely free to play from here out. Expect bankruptcy morons. You will continue to lose money EA, until you start treating your customers as customers instead of criminals and idiots. I will never pay you $40-60 and need to spend ONE buck more later. It's just not going to happen. My wallet doesn't even come out for less than 20hrs at any price. Call me jaded, I don't care about graphics as much as gameplay these days. I can't even be bothered to start up a 10hr game. I can finish that in one sitting on a weekend. I've had more fun in the last few years of gog games than my last 10 paying for retail crap and saved a ton of money doing it.

Bring on torchlight 3, wasteland 2, the next ultima etc...Sell them on gog or you won't get my money most likely even with those. I haven't bought a console game in a few years either. That party is pretty much over with Shield or the next great 10in with a T4 in it (my buying says its been over for years). It will already work with my x360 controllers and either shield or a tablet will get gaming to my TV without a console. Consoles are dead to me and I wouldn't buy a Sony product anyway (right up there with EA for me). MS killed any shot of a purchase from me with always on DRM and shooting used games in the head. I think Devs will run from the next consoles (as they are now from Wiiu/Vita sales) as phones/tablets and the multitude of other competitors eat their lunch before they even launch. You'll see EA/EPIC/BLIZZ games but not much else if ever. Their real competition will be out before they are or at the same time which will kills sales further than wiiu/Vita are hurting now, and then it becomes the chicken/egg story where if you have nobody for me to sell to, I don't create games exacerbating your problem like the Vita has now. Not even 5mil, why would you dev for that?? At MAX even if you sell to every owner you can't get more than 5mil sales.

On the other hand, a Billion units will sell this year that can pretty much do xbox360 level stuff (if not this year then next year). It's easy to see where devs will go and why. Even at $10 a AAA title on tablets/phones sold to a mere 5% of owners can get 500mil. Even a flop can do well in those numbers. It only cost ~7-8mil for the witcher 1 & 2 (each). Put that effort into a Billion unit market and watch the profits fly in. As soon as people realize they have a console in their hand that already works with their old controllers this will really kickoff. There are still a lot of people that don't even realize they can do HDMI out to their TV and play a game on the couch with their xbox360 controller. That will end by this xmas as mobile gaming etc kicks into high gear and people begin to realize they can do much more than angry birds with a tablet or phone :) That's discounting what ouya, steambox, shield etc will already do to sales of the next gen for the next 7yrs while they're stuck in stone.

suspicious gamer

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Those poor boys have never felt the warmth of a woman's touch. When will people realize that online multiplayer games are the Bell Bottoms and Vinyl Suits of this era? Although those graphics look pretty good.

Beta was fun, though I didn't enjoy the browser-only platform... Doesn't work with Afterburner - not that you need an overclock to maintain 60fps with a mid-range card though. Could use the option for higher-quality objects, textures, and special effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.