Crytek: There May Not Be Next Gen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]zambutu[/nom]I love crysis, i don't know what peoples beef is. halflife 2 is the only game out there that i like better. I WANT a game that will WOW me, not a game that's a trickled down console port. I WANT a game that i will be able to replay at even higher settings everytime i upgrade my PC. And finally, with Crysis, you CAN play it differently each time through.[/citation]
agreed. i think my favorates go like this stalker, bioshock, orange box, and crysis warhead.
crysis wasnt all that great IMO, crysis warhead gameplay was much more fun and intense.

my comp handles high settings just fine, around 40ish frames average. very high drops it to 20 though :p

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I've noticed that for some reason Crytek has a hard time getting an online gaming community following of their Crysis product. Maybe if it was something on Steam it'd be more popular. That's where I always go to meet players to play games online. It is so easy that way. About as easy as being on Xbox Live.

Also for some reason Crysis isn't that fun after a little bit. I think mainly due to later levels having all this alien stuff. I like fighting against humans. Maybe they should make a Crysis war type game instead of having aliens come into play. It isn't that fun being chased around by aliens and such. I prefer combat with the Koreans in Crysis over all. Even that gets a little old. I'm not sure what it is. But I still consider it to be the FPS with the best graphics that exists and hoping to see companies come up with as good or better graphics. I'm not too impressed with iD's offerings so far. They are okay though. Maybe it just shows that the technology out for GPU now isn't really that good yet.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]now i have a 4870 1gig... but i have already finished the game.. so why would i reinstall just to play the same game over.. with better visuals?[/citation]

Right! Not to mention the fact that you might not even be able to reinstall the game-- assuming you ran into the install limit before EA released the de-activator program...

Why in god's name would a company release a game that's intended for "future use" but then ship it with a copy-protection scheme that practically guarantees it'll be useless in the future?!?

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]Enterfrize[/nom]I don't know how this was missed, but CryENGINE 3 deserves to get attention for more than just lighting and console compatibility.At SIGGRAPH last week, they did a special demo of CryENGINE 3 running native stereoscopic 3D support. Native means no stereo driver by iZ3D, DDD, or NVIDIA was necessary to make the true 3D effects possible.Here is the Crytek excerpt:http://mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/rss.cgi?news_id=333Regards,Enterfrize[/citation]

sweet, nice add to the article! :p

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
F*&K THE CONSOLES! they look to the technical advances in PCs when designing consoles, we can't wait for the next console before we start making the next big PC engine! worried about piracy? just use steam!! its not perfect - no DRM is - but its a good step forward in both protection and user friendliness.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]I own all the crysis games, the original, crysis wars, and crysis.... I love the game. But in all reality piracy isn't why it didn't sell. I followed the development online for almost a year and a half before it came out. I waited and waited, and in the meantime they made all these promises, that when the game finally came out, all those promises fell through the roof. Free roam means go anywhere, anytime. Like gta series or prototype. Fully destructible means everything, including "all tree's and buildings and anything". Real physics means if you shoot down 3 pillars of a building, the roof should fall, not one pillar holding the whole thing up. Scalability means it should run at 30fps minimum on the minimum rated system. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful, and great, but it's not what was promised..[/citation]

Yeah crysis made me hate my pc and run out and buy a console instead. It sucks when they make games that run at 4fps on current hardware. Now it runs at about 32-40fps on what I have now but it took me years to decide to switch back to PC.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Crisis runs pretty good on todays $65 ATI 4650, playable in med setting and 1024x768 on 8600GT as well as 3850 / 3870 cards.

When UT2003 came out, it was killing the hardware.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
The simple reason why Crysis didn't do extremely well was simply that too many people have garbage PCs. Lets be honest.

How many people do you know that own a Wii, PS3, or Xbox360?

Now think about how many people have a $1500-$2000 SLI/Xfire rig? I loved crysis, and when I let my friends from work play the game on my PC they love it, when they suggest to me that they are going to buy it, I ask them about their PC, and I've yet to meet one average person that has PC capable of running the game worth a crap.

Thats why World of Warcrap did so well. They made an MMO that anyone's Mom with an Emachine and a keyboard could play it.

Sale numbers do not equate to game quality.

Crysis is a top notch enthusiast PC game, WoW is crap in a box. Crysis sold 1/50th the amount of copies that WoW did.

Do not equate sales and quality. And when it comes to people who enjoy crysis, all you got to ask are 2 questions.

1. Do they like FPS games in the 1st place.
2. Do they have a very nice gaming PC.

If they answered no to either question, asking them what they think about crysis is irrelevant.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
And for people suggesting that game designers should cater their designs to what an "average PC" can run, I call horseshit. If I wanted to play watered down console trash games. I'd buy an Xbox360 and play COD4 and Halo.

What we need are more games like Crysis, pushing hardware to the edge of whats possible. Not making WoW-like watered down garbage games. But sadly due to the fact that most "gamers" now a days are console gamers, it's hard to want to make a PC game when you know if you made an Xbox or wii game you'd sell 20x more units.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Airborne11b[/nom]The simple reason why Crysis didn't do extremely well was simply that too many people have garbage PCs. Lets be honest. How many people do you know that own a Wii, PS3, or Xbox360?Now think about how many people have a $1500-$2000 SLI/Xfire rig? I loved crysis, and when I let my friends from work play the game on my PC they love it, when they suggest to me that they are going to buy it, I ask them about their PC, and I've yet to meet one average person that has PC capable of running the game worth a crap.Thats why World of Warcrap did so well. They made an MMO that anyone's Mom with an Emachine and a keyboard could play it.Sale numbers do not equate to game quality.Crysis is a top notch enthusiast PC game, WoW is crap in a box. Crysis sold 1/50th the amount of copies that WoW did.Do not equate sales and quality. And when it comes to people who enjoy crysis, all you got to ask are 2 questions.1. Do they like FPS games in the 1st place.2. Do they have a very nice gaming PC.If they answered no to either question, asking them what they think about crysis is irrelevant.[/citation]
well said. crysis is not a game for the faint of hearted PC's. its ment for beefy systems. Crysis is what motivated me to upgrade from my 8600gt to a 3870. sure, 20-30fps on high settings was acceptable for crysis but i began to want more and more. now ive got a pretty uber rig that crushes just about everything i play.

thanks crytek!!! :)

frost7500

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
it never ceases to amaze me. people just love to bitch. crysis was very playable on plenty of hardware. no you couldn't max out the graphics but it was there for those who had the hardware. not saying crysis was a awesome game, i thought it was ok. i did enjoy it. but because people couldn't play it with max settings they feel the need to get their panties in a bunch. grow up.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
What's all this crap about Crysis not selling well? Crysis alone has sold over 1.5 million copies and that was back in December and that doesn't inculde the additional sales from Warhead and the double pack. That compares very favourably to console only titles like Rock Band 2 and Star War Force Unleashed which have sold a similar amount of games but across 3 or 4 platforms rather then just 1 which came out around about the same time as Crysis.

Cevat Yerli is talking out of arse when blaming the sales numbers on piracy and if anything the game has sold more copies then it really should have given the criticisms levelled against it. He should count himself lucky as well given that really fun games like Psychonauts have badly flopped in past causing its developers to go bust a game like Crysis comes along gets slated by the people who buy it and gets is released at the same time as some good titles like COD4 and Half Life 2 EP2 manages to sell the numbers it did.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I got Crysis for free with my Video card and the DRM caused my DVD drive to knock badly, so bad I thought it was going to break it. I Googled it and was not alone with the known DRM issue. Maybe that is why so many people played the hacked game. Get your draconian DRM fixed before you blame PC gamers for you woes Crytech.
Was a great looking game but if they want to get into bed with the kiddie consoles, so be it. There are other PC titles to choose from, no sweat off my marbles.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
The problem the developer misses ... and some posters, sure you could tune Crysis down to medium and play it OK. However, this GAME was in the hype machine for quite a long time as being very high end oriented. When it came out I completely passed on it as I thought my 7800 GTX would not stand a chance. I did however BUY CoD 4 and TF2. UT3 was a good looking game I did not bother buying until one of STEAMs big sales came out .. now I wish I didn't bother. UT is in my opinion a ghost of its former self. The game was fine, but the community was much smaller.

Also, piracy is a mixed bag at best. You never know if what you down load will ever work.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Although Crytek estimates 2012 or 2013, he also said that there's a big debate on whether there will be a next generation at all thanks to the "relatively horsepower-light" Nintendo Wii.

Did no one else notice this quote? What the hell does it even mean?

"Well, the Wii is current-gen, and it is pretty horsepower-light, so that means that there aren't gonna be any new consoles anymore."

WTF? Is this really what he means? Someone please explain this to me.

a-nano-moose

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Don't complain about not being able to play at max settings when the game was released.
If they don't make games that will bring video cards to their knees why would ATI and NVIDIA make new cards to run old titles at over 200 fps?
Would you pay BIGbucks for a difference you couldn't see?
I'd Pay $500+ for a GTX280 and play DOOM on a 30" monitor, boy wouldn't that look spiffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.