Crytek: UE4 Just Now Catching Up with CryEngine 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Now compare Samaritan/The Elemental, tech demos to Crysis 3 a shipped game.

Can the average Joe even run Crysis 3 at maximum everything like we see in Crytek's demos? They are practically as appropriate as Epic showcasing their tech with demos, even if neither is actually a game, or if Epic even has plans for a AAA PC games.

I like the argument that Crytek makes games.. while Epic hasn't exactly abandoned PC gaming in order to pursue Gears on consoles.. but on a tech side of things it is hard to say if Crytek is better at making AAA PC games than Epic. It really is an apple and android comparison.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
What I'd like is for them to have Dx11 and high res textures on release.
[citation][nom]flowingbass[/nom]Looks like crytek is jealous of UE4...[/citation]
Jealousy is stating facts?

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I dont think thier jelous, just pissed UE4 has gotten a lot more attention that Cryengine3

While crytek has had tech advantage for a while now, UE4 has the advantage of better marketing.. I have heard a lot more of my console gamer friends talk about UE4 and next gen more so than i ever heard talking about Cryengine 3

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
Haha if memory serves Crysis 3 did NOT ship with tessalation. We had to wait quite awhile for that DX11 patch. Not saying his primary argument is BS, but that particukar claim is laughable.

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]What I'd like is for them to have Dx11 and high res textures on release.Jealousy is stating facts?[/citation]

The sky is blue saying that must mean I'm jealous. Damn you sky and your blueness! :lol:

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]scooterlibby[/nom]Haha if memory serves Crysis 3 did NOT ship with tessalation. We had to wait quite awhile for that DX11 patch. Not saying his primary argument is BS, but that particukar claim is laughable.[/citation]
Crysis 3 didn't ship with anything, because it hasn't shipped yet. Early 2013. It will have tesselation.

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]Crysis 3 didn't ship with anything, because it hasn't shipped yet. Early 2013. It will have tesselation.[/citation]

Dude I clealry mis-typed. If you read the article he implied Crysis 2 (yes 2, not 3, terrible sorry) shipped with DX11, which it definitely did not. You intentionally took an obvious typo and spun it.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Might have a bit to do with the fact, not only publicity, but the UE's run better. I don't yet have a UE based game that has problems running. But I've had issues with Farcry, Crysis, and Aion on many occasions, which all of course, run some version of the Cryengine. Or maybe Crytek just sucks at coding well i do not know.

Besides that. The company that shows off their engine more, and has greater market penetration, is obviously going to be talked about more, regardless of if your engine has been prettier for longer.

Personally, I would place money in UE4 then Cryengine 3.
But in either case, I'm curious to see how future games will look and run on either engine. Maybe my video cards DX abilities will finally be put to use.

G

You guy are all on crack rarely do games ship looking like tech demos!! Cryengine>UE4 anyday of the week. Another engine to look out for is the Glacier 2 for Hitman Absolution and the 4A engine from Metro. The funny thing you all seem to forget is that Crysis 1 after all these years still has the best graphics.

ph1sh55

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I thought what was impressive about the UE4 engine demo wasn't the technical prowess but rather the strides it was going to making developing games on it significantly easier. You can have all the technical quality you want, but it seemed like UE4 engine is implementing some very dev friendly features for their workflow that may be superior to working with other engines.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Regardless of which engine maxes out the best, I've always felt games that run on the Unreal Engine are extremely well optimized... can't say the same for Crytek.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Seems like a cry for attention from Crytek. Comparing the game engines of Unreal & CryEngine is literally apples to oranges for game developers. Maybe they should ask why developers license Unreal over there engine and they'd see the reasons why they are overlooked.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah well, lets see results. How about making a real PC game for us and not just some crap console port? Put your money where your mouth is. Port it over to PS and XBOX when the next-gen consoles finally come out and stop allowing Sony and Microsoft to make money on has-been consoles.

guasacaca

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
[citation][nom]sp0nger[/nom]I dont think thier jelous, just pissed UE4 has gotten a lot more attention that Cryengine3While crytek has had tech advantage for a while now, UE4 has the advantage of better marketing.. I have heard a lot more of my console gamer friends talk about UE4 and next gen more so than i ever heard talking about Cryengine 3[/citation]

Yeah, specially when you don't state a true fact.
CryEngine 3 is the best engine out there as of now, but the things showcased in the UE4 demo, are not within CE3's grasp

guasacaca

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
[citation][nom]scooterlibby[/nom]Dude I clealry mis-typed. If you read the article he implied Crysis 2 (yes 2, not 3, terrible sorry) shipped with DX11, which it definitely did not. You intentionally took an obvious typo and spun it.[/citation]

No, read that as "we don't know hot to appeal console developers" that's more like it.

[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Crysis still runs like crap on most systems (for what it is) but it definitely doesn't have the best graphics anymore from a technical perspective.[/citation]

I bet to differ, BigMack. I'm running Crysis Warhead and BF:BC now for testing purposes and trust me... Crytengine 1.3 LOOKS better than Frostbyte 1, but Frostbyte 1 performs better in larger maps. I'm sure they could try to optimize stuff (yes, still) in the Cryengine 3 version, but by mere graphical quality, ugh, Crytech really did push next gen graphics on the Crytengine 1 and i totally support their statement. Not overblown at all and maybe they're right about UE4, but we're all drinking the marketing cool aid from Epic.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.