Crytek's Warface Officially Arriving Stateside

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooodoggies

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Another yearly release from the cookie cutter factory that is the gaming industry. I have no desire whatsoever to play any game i have seen advertised over the last year. Only thing i want to play is the Aliens: colonial marines because the main guy in charge says he is a HUGE alien fan and has been wanting to do one for YEARS. if it turns out to be crap like AVP, i will sell every piece of gaming equipment i have. should be about 1k worth, that will buy a nice gun.

G

[citation][nom]wooodoggies[/nom]Another yearly release from the cookie cutter factory that is the gaming industry. I have no desire whatsoever to play any game i have seen advertised over the last year. Only thing i want to play is the Aliens: colonial marines because the main guy in charge says he is a HUGE alien fan and has been wanting to do one for YEARS. if it turns out to be crap like AVP, i will sell every piece of gaming equipment i have. should be about 1k worth, that will buy a nice gun.[/citation]

Totally agree. Game quality has been in a downward spiral since the latter half of the previous decade. I upgraded my GPU for Max Payne 3, knowing that Rockstar couldn't put out a game with decent plot given any length of time, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and was ultimately disappointed. I think gaming has seen its twilight years and that for the industry to be revitalized, it has to be taken in a bold new direction. Now that I think about it, it seems to be this way with all forms of entertainment. The Dark Knight Rises was also a let down in the plot department.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]Totally agree. Game quality has been in a downward spiral since the latter half of the previous decade. I upgraded my GPU for Max Payne 3, knowing that Rockstar couldn't put out a game with decent plot given any length of time, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and was ultimately disappointed. I think gaming has seen its twilight years and that for the industry to be revitalized, it has to be taken in a bold new direction. Now that I think about it, it seems to be this way with all forms of entertainment. The Dark Knight Rises was also a let down in the plot department.[/citation]

The only problem with gaming is how CoD and WoW is so popular. Then every shooter and MMO wants to be like it.

skyczy08

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
ya for the money. just imagine if we had a 'not for profit' gaming developer? wow. what a world it would be!!!

G

All I play nowadays is Mechwarrior: Living Legends, quality product from a dedicated team.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]Totally agree. Game quality has been in a downward spiral since the latter half of the previous decade. I upgraded my GPU for Max Payne 3, knowing that Rockstar couldn't put out a game with decent plot given any length of time, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and was ultimately disappointed. I think gaming has seen its twilight years and that for the industry to be revitalized, it has to be taken in a bold new direction. Now that I think about it, it seems to be this way with all forms of entertainment. The Dark Knight Rises was also a let down in the plot department.[/citation]
Things are unlikely to ever change if people keep buying and breaking companies' sales records, while the better quality stuff gets a decent amount of sales or little recognition. It's all up to the customers to help shift the market

G

yay crytek launches their own copy of origin for the sake of nickle and diming customers..

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Games used to be for geeks and savvy people and they were fun. Then they went mainstream and had to cater to an average kid. Then consoles took over and games had to be dumbed down even more. Now gaming is like the movie industry: full or crappy sequels and targeted at the average Joe with tiny attention span and IQ below 100.

Now and then a gem happens only to be followed by a crappy sequel. Crysis 2 is the recent memorable example. It's the first game ever that I'm not going to finish. I lost interest about 1/3 through the game. It just feels like COD with nanosuit and aliens, plus no Quick Save, little customization. I went back to playing the original Crysis and Warhead.

Crytek had a great thing going with Crysis and Warhead but they decided they don't want to make another game game set in the jungle. Aha... It's more like EA wanted them to create another COD clone because everybody else is doing shooters in urban environment. So let's set the game in... New York City! Screw originality, screw Crysis and Warhead, screw the story and everything else. Let's make some loose, senseless and idiotic story connections to the original games (so it looks like a sequel) and create another forgettable FPS shooter... Oh screw that too, let's make yet another multiplayer game, because that's what sells, and just slap the singleplayer on the top. FU Crytek! Go hang out with Bungie sellouts...

Oh yes, so then we have multiplayer. It was heck of a fun back in the day. Now, since every idiot on the planet has access to fast internet, multiplayer has become a battelfield of morons acting tough and trying to prove themselves in virtual worlds because they can't find any satisfaction in real life. The same anonymity syndrome that makes people act like cretins on internet forums carried over to multiplayer games.

And yes, people will continue to buy this crap because an average person on this planet isn't very smart and this kind of cookie cutter entertainment suits them. As long as corporate greed is satisfied the suits don't care about the quality of their product. Our society is getting dumber every year and this is not going to change. It almost feels like "Idiocracy" was a documentary movie.

PC gaming isn't dead in literal sense, it just followed Hollywood down the road of stupidity for the masses... Chewing gum for the brains.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
"free to play" until you have to start buying all the stupid necessary game add-ons to get the full experience. I guarantee "free to play" will end up costing more than a normal retail game.

No thanks

G

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]So, basically since games became all about 3D I am amazed how many people have downgraded you. So now it is more about how many cards you have in SLI than how good games are. Previously game developers had very limited machines and they had to use their imagination to create something playable. Now they invest huge amount of money to make flashy graphics and that's all about most games. It is the same trend like in movies these days: more effects and the script and the acting don't matter.[/citation]

I'm not amazed at all. I'm sure they are the kind of people that welcome the same game year after year with no innovation. It really is a shame how the state of entertainment has degenerated into what it is today. Indeed when profit is your main motivator, the masses will latch on the familiar instead of exploring the new. I play games regardless of the platform and that's what is so interesting to see, especially on the closed hardware front where consoles thrive. I appreciate how different engines and different uses of the same technology can bring about vastly different results. That used to be the way of things. Of course its not the fault of the developers, just everyone else. At least indie developers are more prevalent these days and we can look forward to their intermittent gems.

Hey, it's free - and if the money thing works anything like Blacklight Retribution, there's barely an advantage to paying. I'm really looking forward to it because it looks great, has a campaign, and you just can't beat that price.

Btw, those of you who were royally disappointed in Crysis 2, give it another shot with MaldoHD 3.0c installed - well, once it finally comes out... http://maldotex.blogspot.com/

G

I'm going to give it a chance. With no cost of entry, CCP has a track record with me for an attention to scientific detail that both movies and games these days completely ignore, even if set in a sci-fi environment.
I'm not going to argue that game quality in terms of playability has gone down. I believe that would be a losing argument. However, there are still a few gems out there and you can always fall back to the oldies but goodies, especially since they aren't chained down to always on DRM.
If it is still too little for you then maybe you will be the one to throw out a gem that becomes a cult hit such as the likes of Minecraft. It's fairly poorly coded and everyone knows the graphics aren't what makes it's case but it's breaking sales records where ever it goes because it gives people what they have been clamoring for for years. Choice, not the illusion of it.

G

As Corenelis, I Apologize. I was speaking of a different game (DUST 514) and I'm not sure how i mixed the story and that product.

Status
Not open for further replies.