[SOLVED] Cs:Go frequent freezes

anurag1801

Reputable
Oct 21, 2017
My Pc specs are :
Core 2 Quad Q8200-OC 2.9Ghz
4 gb ddr 2 ram(902ish mhz, overclocking the cpu)
Gt 710 2gb ddr3(+312 core clock and +180 mem clock)
500 gb laptop 7200 rpm hard drive and an external Usb 3.0 1tb drive with Cs:Go on it

Settings:
Everything set to lowest, no anti-alliasing, billinear texture filtering, multicore rendering enabled, 1280X768 4:3 streched resolution.\

Launch options:
-language bananagaming -novid -high-threads <4> -nod3d9ex+cl_forcepreload 1(I use the banana gaming texture and custom font mod)

Issue:
I usually get 100-60 fps, but very frequently the game decides to just freeze. At first I thought it was a network problem, but it also showed when i used an offline fps test(Ulletical one). My Gpu and Cpu both go from 50 to 95% depending on whats on screen, but never max out. One thing i noticed was that my ram was never exceeding 2800mb of usage(and froze when we got near the limit i think,not sure, it was freezing everywhere). My theory is that its broken but memtest showed nothing wrong(I might not know how to use it correctly) . So is my Pc so bad that it can't even run Cs:Go or is my memory at fault and i should test it with mem test again(IF so whch one x86 or x64)

Update:1 out of 3 times memtest 64 will finish and tell me everything is ok , the rest it will hang the entire computer(not when it tell u that its flushing app to the disk) causing me to hold the power button for 5 seconds and reebooting the whole pc>

Last edited:
Solution
You've got 3 different OC's, one or more which are probably not stable - freezing is one of the symptoms of unstable overclocks.
Did you properly test these overclocks individually? Does it still freeze if all OCs are removed?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to pas son the make and model of your motherboard as well as the PSU. How old is the PSU? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? A freeze can occur due to a faulty or failing PSU.

Speaking of which, which OS are you on?

anurag1801

Reputable
Oct 21, 2017
The thing is on these older generations the memory speed and clock speed is linked because of base clock overclocking, should i push my cpu clocks down a bit so my memory multiplier runs the memory at 800mhz(recomend speed)?.The GPU overclock is stable(overnight MSI kombustor)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Did reset the cpu and mem clocks, its fixed now, though i will still try to overclock the cpu a bit i think, Thanks
Focus on overclocking one, then the other, and test for stability.
Cpu tests - Prime95(small fft mode), Asus Realbench
Ram tests - Prime95(blend mode), Memtest86
Gpu tests - Kombustor, Asus Realbench, actual in-game test runs(some games refuse to run with gpu overclocks, I've seen it firsthand)
[Aida 64 also works, but unfortunately, it has a limited trial period.]