CSD over GSM ?

Hi,

I have a Sony Ericsson T316 GSM phone and the Cingular Nation GSM
plan. I was wanting to use the infrared port to connect to my laptop
and use CSD to access a dialup network. Cingular customer service
first dissuaded me by telling me CSD would be way too slow (I
understand that). Then he said that CSD was NOT possible over GSM, and
that it was billed per kilobyte and not by airtime.. I thought CSD
would count against my airtime and was possible over GSM.. Didn't even
have a chance to discuss if I could get my account provisioned for
free or not; the rep said it was a moot point since I had a GSM
handset..

Is this true?

Thanks!
Sarmad.

"Sarmad Gilani" <sarmadgilani@verizon.net> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a Sony Ericsson T316 GSM phone and the Cingular Nation GSM
| plan. I was wanting to use the infrared port to connect to my laptop
| and use CSD to access a dialup network. Cingular customer service
| first dissuaded me by telling me CSD would be way too slow (I
| understand that). Then he said that CSD was NOT possible over GSM, and
| that it was billed per kilobyte and not by airtime.. I thought CSD
| would count against my airtime and was possible over GSM.. Didn't even
| have a chance to discuss if I could get my account provisioned for
| free or not; the rep said it was a moot point since I had a GSM
| handset..
|
| Is this true?

The rep is incorrect. As long as your phone has modem capabilities (which
the 316 does), you can. And you are also correct that it comes out of
minutes and not charged per KB. Be warned though that it is at only 9.6kbps.
Even though the phone probably has a setting for up to 28.8, Cingular's CSD
will only do 9.6 even using your own ISP. I did it for a very short period
of time. After waiting forever for just my home page to load every time I
used it, I finally decided to bite the bullet and subscribed to the MEdia
Works package with unlimited GPRS(19.99). I typically get 40-50kbps with it,
which is quite bearable (as fast or faster than actual throughput of most
landline dial-up connections). 9.6 is OK when using the phones WAP browser,
but it unacceptable with the size of today's web pages.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On 18 Jun 2004 16:45:37 -0700, sarmadgilani@verizon.net (Sarmad
Gilani) wrote:

>Cingular customer service
>first dissuaded me by telling me CSD would be way too slow (I
>understand that). Then he said that CSD was NOT possible over GSM, and
>that it was billed per kilobyte and not by airtime..

Absolutely not true. CSD uses airtime minutes and does not use and
"pure" data.

>I thought CSD
>would count against my airtime and was possible over GSM..

It does count against airtime and is possible over GSM. Of course
this may not be true in all cingular areas. New GSM areas that
weren't GSM from the outset as CA/NV/WA/NC/SC were to my knowlege all
can do CSD. Whether the converted "cellular" GSM has that capacity I
don't know. Also take into account that customer care has never
really been up to speed on what exactly GSM can or cannot do. Since
GSM is a new thing for the folks in San Antonio don't expect them to
be familiar with all the intricacies of GSM.

>Didn't even
>have a chance to discuss if I could get my account provisioned for
>free or not; the rep said it was a moot point since I had a GSM
>handset..
>
>Is this true?

If it is it's not for the reason the rep told you. GSM handsets can
do CSD. You probably know this already but with CSD you're only going
to get speeds of 9.6k rather than around 56K with true GPRS.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

In article <khh8d05m3bjho8mgq3i7lgnaqp6c1gesso@4ax.com>,
JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom says...

> It does count against airtime and is possible over GSM. Of course
> this may not be true in all cingular areas. New GSM areas that
> weren't GSM from the outset as CA/NV/WA/NC/SC were to my knowlege all
> can do CSD. Whether the converted "cellular" GSM has that capacity I
> don't know. Also take into account that customer care has never

It's working fine on my GAIT phone/plan in DFW after conversion from
TDMA to GSM. On TDMA Wireless Internet was required but it is not
required on GSM--I dropped it and CSD continues to work plus I set up
someone elses laptop to call via his new GAIT phone and it also worked
fine without WI ever being active on the account. Not the fastest thing
in the world but okay for checking email and things like whitepage
directories on a pda.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Is there a monthly charge for CSD?
Do I need to order that service or it is already included with my GSM
service?

> The rep is incorrect. As long as your phone has modem capabilities (which
> the 316 does), you can. And you are also correct that it comes out of
> minutes and not charged per KB. Be warned though that it is at only
9.6kbps.
> Even though the phone probably has a setting for up to 28.8, Cingular's
CSD
> will only do 9.6 even using your own ISP. I did it for a very short period
> of time. After waiting forever for just my home page to load every time I
> used it, I finally decided to bite the bullet and subscribed to the MEdia
> Works package with unlimited GPRS(19.99). I typically get 40-50kbps with
it,
> which is quite bearable (as fast or faster than actual throughput of most
> landline dial-up connections). 9.6 is OK when using the phones WAP
browser,
> but it unacceptable with the size of today's web pages.

MD

"Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Is there a monthly charge for CSD?
> Do I need to order that service or it is already included with my GSM
> service?

You'll need to order it. It's like $3.99 a month.

---
MD

In article <zh_Cc.13504$w07.8672@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
md@hotmail.com says...
> "Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Is there a monthly charge for CSD?
> > Do I need to order that service or it is already included with my GSM
> > service?
>
> You'll need to order it. It's like $3.99 a month.
>
> ---
> MD

STOP. Couldn't say about the original GSM but at least on the
"converted" GSM systems Internet Express is NOT needed like it was
TDMA--CSD is included in GSM. You only need the IE $3.99 thing if you
want to use the WAP browser on the phone. I dropped IE and CSD still
works fine--I've also tested my roommates phone--which never had IE
activated--and it also works fine using CSD via IR for both PocketPC and
laptop. Others report the same--test before wasting your money.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Thanks Jud,

I'll give it a try. I'm waiting for my data cable. I just want to use CSD
to check my email while traveling. I don't need it to be fast. If I can
download my email then it's good enough -- especially if it's free.