Question CSGO crashing to desktop after 1 hour

Grief111

Prominent
Jul 29, 2021
Hi,

Recently my PC has started crashing to desktop randomly but only after an hour or so of playing CSGO. After it crashes to desktop once it crashes more frequently after the first initial crash to desktop. This only effects CSGO and does not happen for any other game. There are not even events in the event view finder that may explain the crash.

I've tried, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers
Switching from windows 11 to windows 10
Lowered GPU power usage
Lowered CPU max from control panel
Reset the PC
Rolled back windows updates
Verified Integrity of game files
Uninstalled and reinstalled CSGO
Reseated the Ram

So far nothing has worked and thought I would consult the experts :D

I have a
13th Gen Intel(R) Core (TM) i9-13900KF
16GB of ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
EVGA 850W power supply

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you monitoring temperatures? I would think it odd if that was the issue and not happening elsewhere.

Have you checked with the game specific forum or reddit to see if others are having the same issue?

I don't play the game, personally, but isn't this an "online only" type game, in other words where you are always playing against others live? Could be be due to internet drop out or ping?

Grief111

Prominent
Jul 29, 2021
Are you monitoring temperatures? I would think it odd if that was the issue and not happening elsewhere.

Have you checked with the game specific forum or reddit to see if others are having the same issue?

I don't play the game, personally, but isn't this an "online only" type game, in other words where you are always playing against others live? Could be be due to internet drop out or ping?
I monitored CPU and GPU temperatures and neither were too high to create a crash to desktop.

I've looked at steam forums and didn't see anyone with a similar problem.

It is an online game and has only crashed during online game modes. My ping and internet is really good so I don't think its the internet. Could my internet cause my game to crash to desktop? Usually if you 'lag out' of a game in csgo it returns you to the CSGO home screen but in this case the application crashes.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would expect it to 'crash' back to the lobby or home, as you mention.

Check Event Viewer specifically under the critical and error tabs to see if the system is throwing event id. Check Reliability Monitor for events around the times the issue presented.

Grief111

Prominent
Jul 29, 2021
I would expect it to 'crash' back to the lobby or home, as you mention.

Check Event Viewer specifically under the critical and error tabs to see if the system is throwing event id. Check Reliability Monitor for events around the times the issue presented.
I've looked through the Event Viewer and do not and have not seen any errors at the time of a crash of the application. :(

Grief111

Prominent
Jul 29, 2021
I missed you saying that in the first post. My bad.

When this happens are you well into your 16GB of RAM? Are you using something like Riva to monitor?
I have task manager open and my memory stays at about 50-60% while Im playing. Im not sure if it climbs higher than that before the crash because the crashes are so infrequent. :/

Last edited: