Question CSGO FPS issues - do I need to upgrade?

olofdennis

Prominent
Jun 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

My job consists of playing CSGO/watching demos/coaching but it seems that I'm regularly losing FPS. When I built my PC last March I was hitting over 300+ FPS in a 5v5 on 128 tick servers. Now I'm sitting between 180-230. I have no idea what to do anymore and want some opinions before I splash out on a new CPU (Ryzen 3700X is tempting the pockets). I play the game on 1024x768 res, everything low.

PC specs:
Win10 Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB 3200mhz
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
GPU: EVGA 1060 SC 6GB
HDD: Samsung 850 Pro 250GB

What I have tried:
-Rolling back to pre-Windows 1809 update (last known stable update for CS)
-Installed CSGO on SSD from HDD
-Installed previous NVIDIA drivers from current
-Use launch options that "cause issues" but genuinely compared the game with and without the options and see an increase in FPS with the options: -novid +mat_queue_info 2 cl_forcepreload 1

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your PSU? Your specs seem fine for what you want to do and the FPS you had prior. Uninstall the GPU drivers with DDU and then reinstall the drivers after sourcing the latest from Nvidia's support site. Manually install the drivers in an elevated command(Right click installer>Run as Administrator).

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update. Speaking of which, what is the make and model of your motherboard?

olofdennis

Prominent
Jun 15, 2018
Make and model of your PSU? Your specs seem fine for what you want to do and the FPS you had prior. Uninstall the GPU drivers with DDU and then reinstall the drivers after sourcing the latest from Nvidia's support site. Manually install the drivers in an elevated command(Right click installer>Run as Administrator).

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update. Speaking of which, what is the make and model of your motherboard?

-PSU: it's a Corsair 750w (I'll get the full model for you when I get a chance, sorry 😅)

-Motherboard: Asus Prime x370 Pro

Silly question, but could the GPU drivers really affect FPS even though the game is mainly CPU-based?