Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Hello, so i was playing perfectly fine last week and half of Saturday to only have my games crash, at least the high graphics ones. Before i keep going here are my specs.

ryzen 5 5600x
Corsair vengeance 3200hz
Gtx 1050ti
ROG b550-f
750w PSU
Samsung EVO m.2 500gb
And a 500gb HDD

I’ve tried deleting the AMD drivers that may have been interfering with my invidia drivers while launching. while it made me get further into my apex main menu, it crashes after clicking settings or rather anything to that nature. I’ve tried deleting possible programs interfering with mem, chkdsk for both drives. CPU stays 43c idle and 50+ when i launch a game. Normal temps. Looked at ram, around 40 to 50% range when in apex, is that too high? i have D.O.C.P enabled now, even without it, still no dice. I’ve update my bios to the stable 2401 version, I’ve reinstalled invidia drivers. Check reliability stats and had something saying faulting application path: c:\programfiles(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Apex Legends\r5apex.exe

problem event: BEX64
Fault module name: stackhash_56f5
F.Mode version 0.0.0.0

i don’t see how it’s my GPU or CPU if CS:GO is running. It’s obvious something graphics wise yes, but could it be program wise? please help. I’ve bought new parts for my PC only for it to work for a week and not let me do anything.
my oc worked for a week last time i “fixed” it but for sum reason had to get a new motherboard. I feel technology hates me lately. I treat it right and i get nothing but dirt and anger.

Solution
problem event: BEX64
Fault module name: stackhash_56f5
F.Mode version 0.0.0.0

A BEX error is a “Buffer Overflow Exception”. This error is typically raised when Microsoft Windows detects that a program tries to put more data than possible in a region of memory. This is the computer equivalent of overfilling a glass with water until the water spills over

its an application error, in that its a problem with the program. Try uninstalling and reinstalling it again.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"at least the high graphics ones "

PSU: make, model, wattage (750watts noted), age, condition?

Heavy gaming use?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the crashes.

Click any given entry to get more details. The details may or may not be directly helpful.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
This:

Heavy gaming use?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the crashes.

Click any given entry to get more details. The details may or may not be directly helpful.
I looked in reliability, and nothing explaining the issue. just says process stopped.

PSU is thermaltake 80 750w. I’ve had it since end of 2017. Is it time for a new one? if so i just seen a nice Corsair one at Best Buy today.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
This:

Heavy gaming use?

And yes, I’m a competitive player, so getting off of work taking a shower and playing 5-6 hrs of the day is the norm. Streaming too but havnt gotten to that yet with new parts (streaming i mean).

Ralston18

Titan
What process stopped?

Try observing system performance using Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Use both but only one at a time.

First watch before gaming and then while gaming. You will need to leave the Task Manager or Resource Monitor Window open to watch while you play.

So game play may be impacted. Remember that the objective is to discover what may be going astray. Not winning per se.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
What process stopped?

Try observing system performance using Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Use both but only one at a time.

First watch before gaming and then while gaming. You will need to leave the Task Manager or Resource Monitor Window open to watch while you play.

So game play may be impacted. Remember that the objective is to discover what may be going astray. Not winning per se.
CPU on right side of resource monitor says 100%. The others say 0% idle.
For some reason when getting back on to steam, it asked me to reinstall apex but i had it installed on steam apps folder. So i deleted folder and now reinstalling apex. Going to see if that was the issue cause i remember this happening when i got off of work today. it downloaded faster though and said “looking for existing files” when initializing the download. So i stopped it this time around.

Ralston18

Titan

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Interesting.

Process Explorer.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Just for the record: how full are the drives?

My thought is that the PSU is a likely suspect. Especially if 4 years old and has been used for heavy gaming.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Any voltages out of tolerance?
I do, and i do. I also think since you mention it, it may not be giving my GPU and or CPU/RAM enough power to kick start the high graphics? I’ll find the meter if i can real quick and test it.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Interesting.

Process Explorer.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Just for the record: how full are the drives?

My thought is that the PSU is a likely suspect. Especially if 4 years old and has been used for heavy gaming.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Any voltages out of tolerance?
Yep, just launched apex and now I’m getting frozen screen with god awful sounds. just turned it off. I assume if it BSOD me, it would have given me cod watchdog. That’s all I’ve been getting when i get BSOD.

Ralston18

Titan
What sounds?

Reference: "just turned it off". Remember that hard shutdowns (even if forced) are likely to cause file corruption.

Windows needs to go through its normal housekeeping chores which it does when shut down via Shutdown icon.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism". Check Update history for any problems with Windows updates.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

I am still leaning towards a PSU problem.

As a matter of elimination:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for any signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, blackened or browned components, kinked/pinched wires.

Examine all plugs and ports for signs of damage or gunk.

Key is to narrow down the number of potential BSOD culprits.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
What sounds?

Reference: "just turned it off". Remember that hard shutdowns (even if forced) are likely to cause file corruption.

Windows needs to go through its normal housekeeping chores which it does when shut down via Shutdown icon.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism". Check Update history for any problems with Windows updates.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for any signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, blackened or browned components, kinked/pinched wires.

There is a melted PSU PCIE cord. Don’t know why. The cord i currently have in my GPU isn’t melted but that one is. Not connected

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
What sounds?

And the pc was on for a long time after it crashed, longer than a BSOD needs to confirm what happened. The sounds was just the game sound crashing and blasting my ears making it hurt. I’m at work rn, but I’ll recheck everything. I’ll also make a trip to Best Buy sometime this week.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to take a couple of photographs and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com)

There may be other unseen damage.

Check audio plugs, ports, and cables.

All in all a melted cord is a danger signal and I would not recommend further computer use until the problem(s) are resolved.

PSU failure, short circuit, other failed/failing components.....

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Are you able to take a couple of photographs and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com)

There may be other unseen damage.

Check audio plugs, ports, and cables.

All in all a melted cord is a danger signal and I would not recommend further computer use until the problem(s) are resolved.

PSU failure, short circuit, other failed/failing components.....
hmmm, you figure it may cause hardware damage. Its unplugged

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
hmmm, you figure it may cause hardware damage. Its unplugged
Difficult to know. There could be a short inside the unplugged / melted cord.

Or there could be some mix-up between what cables and where various cables are plugged in.

If possible, replace the cable.
i just bought a new PSU Corsair 750w, and it’s still crashing after installing. Could it be windows in general?

Ralston18

Titan
The system still boots and Windows will run - correct?

PSU - which model? Modular?

If modular do not use any cables from other PSUs?

It could be Windows but I would expect that Reliability History and/or Event Viewer would be capturing something - even if only an "unexpected shutdown".

Try booting into safe mode. Does the computer continue to crash?

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
The system still boots and Windows will run - correct?

PSU - which model? Modular?

If modular do not use any cables from other PSUs?

It could be Windows but I would expect that Reliability History and/or Event Viewer would be capturing something - even if only an "unexpected shutdown".

Try booting into safe mode. Does the computer continue to crash?
I can boot perfectly fine in, fast and easy. It’s when i run a game now CS:GO is in the games that don’t work longer than 5 seconds before crashing.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you still seeing this error:

"Check reliability stats and had something saying faulting application path: c:\programfiles(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Apex Legends\r5apex.exe "

Any overclocking? If so stop all overclocking and determine if the system remains stable while playing games.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021

"Check reliability stats and had something saying faulting application path: c:\programfiles(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Apex Legends\r5apex.exe "

Any overclocking? If so stop all overclocking and determine if the system remains stable while playing games.
No, no over clocking. And yes. I’ve just downloaded the creation tool for windows. Going to attempt this. Will inform.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021

Now when i try to do windows setup, it just freezes and flickers black then resets back to the keyboard layout. I’ve been dealing with this PC for over a month now. I’ve put a lot of money into it only for it not to work. I’m about on the verge of just selling it and finding another occupation. never had a problem like this/these in the 10+ years I’ve played on PC. can find no solutions to my problems, and at this point I’m wasting money if i don’t find one. I’m incredibly irritated rn. i install windows to fix things, not for it to need to be fixed on setup. that’s the whole point. To fix issues.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021

Friend says GPU might be dead or dying. I don’t see how that could mess my windows up so much.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021

Gonna grab my roommates GPU tomorrow after work and put that in to see what it does. If that Dosnt work somethings not right. that would mean i have bought new everything in my PC making it a brand new pc. if that’s the case. Best Buy have been giving me their **** parts. I’ve reseated everything to make sure, reapplied thermal paste JUST in case, memory tested 4 sticks, and just bought a PSU.