CSGO performance changed in the last 6 months

beruuce

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could check this for me. I purchased a custom 3XS system from scan back in October 2015, the machine specs are:

Asus X99 motherboard
I7-5820k Overclocked to 4.2GHz
16GB Ram
EVGA GTX 980 2.0 SC ACX
750 RMI 750 PSU
256GB SSD
2TB HDD

My problem is that since I have had the machine, the performance of CSGO has seemed to decrease fps wise.

I also run CSGO on low settings, 4:3 resolution with 1280 x 960 resolution, everthing on low, except Global Shadow settings which I have on high. Also I have tried with higher settings, as I've tried to put more load on the GPU, but still have the same issue that I mention below. I know that CSGO is meant to be a very CPU intensive game.

The fps used to be consistent 300 (similar to video at bottom of this thread), and if I uncapped it would often be 400-500. Now I know there have been countless debates on here about how much FPS you need etc, but I'm now experiencing some FPS drops which are in the 150/160s and occasionaly lower. I have a 144hz monitor, so based on lots of people's opinions on here, I shouldn't really notice a difference to the experince if it's in 150/60 because that's still above my refresh. However, I can feel a difference in terms of spray control and mouse movement when the fps drops from 250-300 to 150-160.

It's just a bit annoying as well because this rig was quite expensive and I know that as time goes on hardware ages, but CS GO is an old game and I can pretty much run most games on ultra settings with next to no issues, but with CSGO it seems to somehow be really demanding.

I've tried every single FPS trick as well, I've also recently formatted, didn't use reset or fresh start, i created a windows 10 usb and formatted that, but still find the issue, although it has been less frequent since I have formatted.

Can someone tell me, is this more likely that over the last three years, cs go has just become more demanding, or is this more of a sign that there's something wrong with the machine?

By the way this isn't happening on just deathmatch / retake servers, it's happening on 5v5 128tick faceit servers.

See here an example of someone with same spec getting very good FPS on a dm server with high settings

https://youtu.be/KnXUvuB52xc

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
So a couple of things, the engine used to make CS:GO makes it so that higher FPS does improve the smoothness of things i.e. spray and mouse control so the dips are real, when people argue about with we can perceive higher frame rates is another thing, as FPS is directly related to how this game performs so don't let anyone tell you, you don't need more FPS on CS:GO. Secondly the video you show is from 2016 the game has had countless updates since then the last one being on the 24th so your game and their game are different beasts whether you have the same machines or not.

Have you tried the steam guides for performance improvements? this is a good guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1637810507

beruuce

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Hello, thanks for your reply. Yes I couldn't find a video that was more recent unfortunately, if anyone does have same spec i'd be interested to know their fps on say the new dust2 with high settings. I notice i get below 200 fps in a lot of fights on 18 man death match servers that are 128 tick. this is if i run at high settings. with low settings it is a bit better but not that much. The reason why i tried higher settings was to try and put more stress on the cpu.

However, when I play compeitively, I play with everything on low except shadow quality which is high, 1280 x 960 black bars and the fps is 250 - 350 can get up to 500 on some maps, but it's just during some guns fights, maybe if it's 5 people rushing me i get some fps drops and this affects ability to control spray etc.

In terms of the guide i have tried most of those things yes.

So in answer to my question, is it more likely that csgo is just more demanding now and that's why i'm getting the drops occassionally?

beruuce

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
to my surprise i have noticed a performance increase from using the -threads start up command.

My cpu is an I7 5820k - 6 cores 12 threads.

settings -threads 12 seems to utilise more threads where I thought i wouldn't make a difference as CSGO is usually about single core performance.

beruuce

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I'm still seeing however fps drops on 18 man death match servers. I have uploaded video using shadow play so there is a bit of performance hit with that but it's not that much.

these are my start up commands

-autoexec -novid +cl_forcepreload 1 -nojoy -tickrate 128 -threads 12

running cs on 1280 x 960, everything low except shadows which is high

are people really getting this in 2019?

Notice you can see MSI afterburn stats, the fps is slower to update, look at my net_graph on cs to see the drops.

Just to say I have another machine i5 6600k oc to 4.6, and it runs on that same server very smoothly, occasionally dips below 200 but its mainly in the 300 - 400s. I know it has a slightly higher over clock but still I thought an i7 5820k at 4.2 would get similar performance.

https://youtu.be/M05qgX17Wms

beruuce

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I've also recorded some other videos, where i've managed to overclock the 5820k to 4.4, although i didn't run any stability tests i was able to play cs for several minutes and there was a difference in fps.

Should i just accept that it's updates to the game that's causing the fps drops? compared to several years ago?

also two other things i was going to try tonight, having read online today is

Downgrading gpu drivers - i've read that since version 378 people have noticed much better performance.
Try to turn off hyper threading.

Will post my results.