Question CTR 2.1 Diagnostic results doubt. (5900x)

ZeroCool22

Honorable
Jul 23, 2016
IZHlCks.png

I want to go for the UNDERVOLTING (not interest on OC) summer is coming here, so i want to get the best Temps i could without loosing much performance.
So based on this results:

✅ Voltage: 1000 mV
✅Frequency: 4100 Mhz

1-
With that values i will lose too much performance?

2- Also that Frequency will be the MAX or the CPU will still can turbo to 4.8 Ghz?

3- And finally, i know now i should put this settings and RUN the TUNE, but I'm a little afraid if the TUNE process could damage the CPU...

PD: I will not use the CTR Profiles, one time i get the stables values for the UV i will use Ryzen Master.

Thx in advance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Undervolting, like overclocking is all about trial and errors to see what can and cannot work for you/your platform. CTR does state the reference values but you won't know know after you've input them in BIOS manually. As for your BIOS, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version to ensure stability before attempting any overclocking or undervolt.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I want to go for the UNDERVOLTING (not interest on OC) summer is coming here, so i want to get the best Temps i could without loosing much performance.

Just do PBO curve optimisation without increasing max frequency (PBO Overdrive) + offset if required and forget about it...
If you care only about undervolting without caring about performance ofc. This way, you will not lose any performance compared to stock, unless you decrease PPT/EDC/TDC (TDC less than other 2) limits

Because what you want to do is manual OC which will lock clock speed of cores to 4100 (NOT EFFECTIVE CLOCK, just clock speed), so... no dynamic boosting for you. And no idle voltage being around 0.8V for you too.
This way you also will lose single thread performance and by pretty solid margin. As well as most likely multithread performance unless task you want to do already limits it to 4.1 gHz which is pretty unrealistic (well, maybe for 5900X it is, but for 5600X it is for sure not like that... 4.25 is absolute minimum i get under full hardcore load)

If you want more info, then you better tell purpose of UV and direction of CPU usage in future. Because there are different ways you can make things work with Zen3

P.S. Oh wow, how i got to even click on this post, as this is really old one

Last edited:

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
summer is coming here, so i want to get the best Temps i could without loosing much performance.

Just lower temps can be easily achieved just by setting lower PBO PPT limit with negative PBO CO setup, and this way you will not lose any single thread performance, as you would've with manual OC. Question is - what is your primary CPU usage. Because if it is90+% of time hardcore 100% load crunching, than maybe manual OC can be better, but PPT is more of a factor there than anything. And just setting PBO PPT limit from... 142W? or what is it stock for 5900x to around 120 will defintely lower temps.
Actually you should not get that high of a temps while gaming. And most of heating is coming from GPU on my experience

Reactions: drea.drechsler
IZHlCks.png

1-
With that values i will lose too much performance?

2- Also that Frequency will be the MAX or the CPU will still can turbo to 4.8 Ghz?

3- And finally, i know now i should put this settings and RUN the TUNE, but I'm a little afraid if the TUNE process could damage the CPU...

PD: I will not use the CTR Profiles, one time i get the stables values for the UV i will use Ryzen Master.

Thx in advance.
As has been said...with Ryzen 5000, use PBO and undervolt with Curve Optimizer. When set up...even if set up badly...it's perfectly safe for the processor. The worst that can happen if set up badly is the system will be unstable and crashy.

Several good youtubes showing how it's done, they also explain what it's doing and why this works. The great thing about it is you can do it simple using a curve for all cores, or tweak each core in for the best.

Here's one "how to":

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0

TRENDING THREADS