[SOLVED] CTR Clock Tuner on A520

Jun 29, 2021
Hey!
Im wondering. Does CTR actually work on the A520 chipset ?
I read somewhere that It doesn't matter what chipset you are on.
I have a 5600X and AORUS ELITE A520 board.
Looking to use it to lower temps a little bit.
Thanks for the answers in advance.

Solution
Hey there,

Well, you can try it and use something like HWMon/Info to monitor if the CPU undervolts.

Whilst undervolting can help temps (more beneficial for gaming laptops), that may just be like putting a band aid on. A temporary solution.

List your PC specs, including cooler and case. An undervolt won't do much for temps if your cooler is pants! Having a good cooler with decent thermal paste and good airflow in your case, trumps an undervolt any day of the week.

edit: If you're running stock cooler even PBO would push it to it's limits. If you have an all core OC, that would push it to it's limits too. An undervolt won't help much there.

You've such a strong CPU, you want to give it room to breath and stretch it's legs :)
Hey there,

Well, you can try it and use something like HWMon/Info to monitor if the CPU undervolts.

Whilst undervolting can help temps (more beneficial for gaming laptops), that may just be like putting a band aid on. A temporary solution.

List your PC specs, including cooler and case. An undervolt won't do much for temps if your cooler is pants! Having a good cooler with decent thermal paste and good airflow in your case, trumps an undervolt any day of the week.

edit: If you're running stock cooler even PBO would push it to it's limits. If you have an all core OC, that would push it to it's limits too. An undervolt won't help much there.

You've such a strong CPU, you want to give it room to breath and stretch it's legs :)

Solution
Jun 29, 2021
Hey there,

Hey there!
Well I currently have a Hyper 212 EVO and a FSP CMT211A case with 3 fans intake and 1 out.
CPU idles at anywhere from 44-50c when watching yt and as soon as I start going in tabs it spikes to 55c and installing programs can make it go to even 60c. :D
Constant ramping up and down of fans is really annoying,
However doing the multicore cinebench for 10 minutes gives a max or 71-73c.
It is also on a A520 board which is the only reason I think CTR won't work because I dont have access to PBO or most settings to mess with wattage.
Disabling the core performance boost option in the bios that locks the CPU to the base clock makes me not go over 55c even in prime95.

Hey there!
Well I currently have a Hyper 212 EVO and a FSP CMT211A case with 3 fans intake and 1 out.
CPU idles at anywhere from 44-50c when watching yt and as soon as I start going in tabs it spikes to 55c and installing programs can make it go to even 60c. :D
Constant ramping up and down of fans is really annoying,
However doing the multicore cinebench for 10 minutes gives a max or 71-73c.
It is also on a A520 board which is the only reason I think CTR won't work because I dont have access to PBO or most settings to mess with wattage.
Disabling the core performance boost option in the bios that locks the CPU to the base clock makes me not go over 55c even in prime95.

Yeah, the 212 is okay for that CPU. You also have plenty of airflow. What are ambient temps like where you are right now?

Typically you should be around these temps:

Idle - 30-35c
Gaming -45-70c (Game dependant)
Stress Testing - 70-80c (You don't want your temps to be over that for continued use).

But summertime temps can kick that up 5-10c.

Try stressing with Prime95 v26.6 small fft's (no avx) and get an idea of where your max temps are and you can then gauge how effective your cooler is for your CPU.

Also, what thermal paste are using? This can make a big difference.

On the 10c increase in temps when you open up Chrome of install a new program, that is not unusual at all. In fact it's very typical of modern CPU's with high core counts. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Don't forget you've a 6 core CPU and with Windows thread scheduler heats the cores up a little even doing a relatively benign task.

Jun 29, 2021
Yeah, the 212 is okay for that CPU. You also have plenty of airflow. What are ambient temps like where you are right now?

Typically you should be around these temps:

Idle - 30-35c
Gaming -45-70c (Game dependant)
Stress Testing - 70-80c (You don't want your temps to be over that for continued use).

But summertime temps can kick that up 5-10c.

Try stressing with Prime95 v26.6 small fft's (no avx) and get an idea of where your max temps are and you can then gauge how effective your cooler is for your CPU.

Also, what thermal paste are using? This can make a big difference.

On the 10c increase in temps when you open up Chrome of install a new program, that is not unusual at all. In fact it's very typical of modern CPU's with high core counts. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Don't forget you've a 6 core CPU and with Windows thread scheduler heats the cores up a little even doing a relatively benign task.
Well the apartment we are in doesn't have an AC and usually outside on these kinds of days its anywhere between 34-37c :D
P A I N. Landlord doesn't let us get an AC.
Regardless idle are still 47-55 sometimes.
Gaming in valorant got me around 55-65 sometimes spikes to 70c going down asap.
Using the normal thermal paste that came with the 212.
Most people just tell me to make a custom fan curve. Any recommendations ?

Aha! That makes sense. Typically your temps might be 10-15c over ambient. So that kinda checks!

I'd prob just be nipping it in the bud, so to speak, and getting a stronger cooler. Something like a Noctua NH-D15s. It will come with some really good thermal paste. The combination of the two will get you back in check somewhat.

Custom fan curve might help, but with all things considered a stronger cooler is the answer, IMO.

Pity about landlord and AC.

Jun 29, 2021
Aha! That makes sense. Typically your temps might be 10-15c over ambient. So that kinda checks!

I'd prob just be nipping it in the bud, so to speak, and getting a stronger cooler. Something like a Noctua NH-D15s. It will come with some really good thermal paste. The combination of the two will get you back in check somewhat.

Custom fan curve might help, but with all things considered a stronger cooler is the answer, IMO.

Pity about landlord and AC.
Yeah sadly not much money for upgarde right now. Spent all the money on the CPU, Motherboard and Case. :D
Really thought the 212 would be enough.
Im guessing those temps and spikes shouldnt lower the lifespan of the CPU and its okay ?
Also looking at HWINFO the temps reported there are sometimes higher by like 10c compared to Ryzen Master.
Which one should I trust?

Na, those temps while high are within it's performance capabilities. Won't degrade CPU lifespan.

Not sure about HWInfo v RM. They should be reporting the same temps. Bios up to date? RM reports the average of temp spikes across the cores. I'd trust that. I understand HWInfo does the same. Is the app up to date too?

Hey!
Im wondering. Does CTR actually work on the A520 chipset ?
I'm not sure what all CRT does but as I recall is needs Ryzenmaster installed because it uses the Ryzenmaster service to access the necessary controls for setting CPU core multipliers. So it would make sense that if Ryzenmaster won't work on A320 or A520 motherboards then neither would the Ryzenmaster service.

But if you've a A520 board it can't do much harm to install both and see what it does.