Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015217) won't install.

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
So, this is a common problem from what I've been reading. At least, common enough. I have a Windows 10 computer. It was always W10, I've never upgraded from 7 or 8. I recently purchased Watch Dogs 2. Upon running the game, instead of launching the game the computer crashes. BSOD shows stop code "Memory Management". I couldn't find any correlation between that stop code and WD2 crashes, except that people say out of date drivers can cause crash on launch. Which brings me to this thread-
I checked Windows Auto Updater, and it started a download. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015217). I thought this might be the issue. So it gets to 10%, then errors out saying files are missing and to try again later. Just out of curiosity I checked the update history, and this update has failed to install a -LOT-.
So that lead me to running the update troubleshooter. It finds 5-6 "errors" and "fixes" them. I try to run updater again, and the same thing happens (though one time the computer just BSOD again). I start it back up, repeat, same thing.
So I started to read some windows/microsoft support forums.
At this point I've tried using CMD to stop auto-updates, clearing the Windows update software folders, starting auto-update back up which created the same issue.
I've tried downloading the stand-alone updater off Microsofts website, which "installed" up the whole bar but then failed with no error code.

Update-ish: I restarted the computer after posting this, and after doing the two previous things, and it spent some time "Getting Windows Ready" before it actually restarted. I was hoping this was the install, but when I started back up I went to Windows Update and it was already trying to download the update again, and it shows another failed attempt in history.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 1.2 with firmware F6.
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050TI Sc
Ram: 8GB of some stuff, I dunno.

You guys are usually pretty smart so maybe you can think of something different than the guys on the MS forums.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show us the MSI forums post so I don't just repeat what they suggested :)

Stand alone updater? Do you mean the upgrade assistant? I would download a copy of the latest Windows 10 media creation tool (its the 2nd button) on another PC and make a win 10 installer - only as if it fails you don't have to download it again if you have it on USB.

you can run the update off the USB and see if you get same response.

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-updates-kb4013429-and-kb-4015217-fail/b4c7f8b9-56a9-47bb-9daa-b4850e7a8331
&
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/cumulative-update-for-windows-10-version-1607-for/d5e26f9c-1a6b-4934-9da8-5d70cb904146
Those are the two main pages I've been reading through, just 'cause they offered the most options.
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4015217 This is the standalone updater. It bypasses the auto-update and tries to force an update.
And I don't have another PC.

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017

I don't know how I didn't find that page from all my reading- but I'm gonna give it a shot now.

Update: It won't work. I've entered the command into command prompt perfectly (I'm triple checking) and every time it says it failed and to make sure the folders exist and that I have read/write permissions. I'm the only user on the computer so I should already have read/write, but just to be safe I went into both folders and altered the security on them to give full control to any user, still didn't work. I've tried to uncheck the "read-only" box but as soon as I go back into the folder properties, it is checked again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't turn read only off on folders, don't even fight it. It shouldn't matter as normally you have high enough permissions that it lets you do whatever you like to files inside the folder. You can even delete folders, that read only is there to protect you, not to stop you.

Do you know anyone who will download the iso for you? its multiple use, they can use it themselves or lend you a USB with it on it or something. I starting to think only way to update is by using the installer instead (not a fresh install) by running setup from inside file explorer, it should offer the choice to upgrade current install.