YuriSEAL

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
After that article on the 3.8 GHz P4 that included low and high power draw for a number of chips, I'm quite curious about how a few chips that weren't included stacked up. For example, the Athlon 64 FX-55 (Clawhammer CnQ) seemed to be missing from the 100% load results (I couldn't find it, at least.) I'm also curious about how the socket 754 and socket 754 mobile A64 platforms, as well as the Pentium M would stack up. Does anyone know of other experiments I could look at, or is there anyone willing to do tests?

Thanks for reading, and thanks again if you feel like answering!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen some articles. The Pentium-M at 2.4GHz beats everything. Some people have pushed it as far as 3.0GHz.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

YuriSEAL

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
I'm asking about power draw (eg: power consumption), not the actual processing power. I guess I didn't make that clear enough. Sorry.

Basically what Crashman means is that the Pentium-M@2.4gig is about equal in performance to a P4 3.4-3.6 or A64 3400 -3600. But only draws half the power of the A64 and a little over 1/4 the power of the P4.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My mistake, I forgot to finish my post (got distracted)

OK, I've seen some articles. The Pentium-M at 2.4GHz beats everything. Some people have pushed it as far as 3.0GHz. At 2.0GHz it draws about 1/2 the power of an Athlon64 the same speed (the 3200+), around 1/4 the power of the P4 3.2GHz Northwood, and around 1/5 the power of the P4 3.2GHz Prescott.

Overclocked to 2.4GHz it still produces less heat than A64's of the same clock speed, which means it consumes less power (CPU power is converted directly to heat because data is not a form of energy). Some people have gotten this CPU to 3.0GHz, at which point it's STILL consuming less power than AMD's top processors, while outperforming everything by a wide margin.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
<<The Pentium-M at 2.4GHz beats everything.>>

WOW! I did not know that. That is truly amazing. Is this the 2meg cache dothan you are referring to?
Even if it is that's still very very impressive even with the extra meg of cache.

How do you figure they do that on a 400 fsb no sse2 or sse3 support? that is even more impressive just imagine once they get quad pumped fsb and sse3, holy moly. and low power usage to boot. Just think of the notebook performance.

So this overclocked pentium M @ 2.4 GHz that beats EVERYTHING, like a non overclocked fx55? or does it even beat an overclocked fx55? or were you just referring to intel CPU's?

I hate to be skeptical but I'd like to see a link (please) to the overclocked 2 meg cache Pentium M @ 2.4GHz beating a non overclocked 1 meg cache fx53 @ stock 2.4GHz or a64 4000 same thing. Unless ofcourse you were just comparing it to the P4.

while Pentium M is the king in the 12-25 watt area, I believe as to power draw vs performance does not transmetta hold all the cards?

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darko21 on 11/26/04 09:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pardon me for forgetting the Opterons, I don't think those were refered to in the test I've seen. The information comes from an overclockers site and some motherboard venders.

You can check the article at Sysopt to see what the motherboard venders say.

Sorry about excluding the Opterons, when a processor falls outside the price range any of us are willing to pay, I tend to foget about the product's existance.

As for overclocking, it increases power consumption. At a maximum overclock the P-M still consumes less power than desktop processors do at stock speeds. Overclocking the desktop processors can indeed increase their performance, but the power losses put them at an even greater disadvantage at that point, to a person who's original question was about power consumption.

Intel has been holding back their best performing processors from the desktop market based on their marketing of MHz towards that market.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
<<Pardon me for forgetting the Opterons,>>

No worrys, but I never mentioned opteron just the fx and a64 4000 plus transmetta.

That being said I really like the pentium M. It's niche but serves notebooks extreamly well. I believe Intel will enhance this chip for the future. Proly bring it to desktops and replace the p4.
On a power per watt transmetta holds all the cards but in the notebook segment (low power) yet performace very important I believe Pentium M has the clear advantage if there was a way to compare battery consumption to performance were real performace is an issue.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I lumped the FX with Opterons for the same reason as I lump the EE with 2MB Xeons in the single-CPU market.

Of course by the time Intel gets serious about IPC for desktops, AMD will have new processors to take on that technology.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Don't the xeons run at a slower FSB over the EE?

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought Intel had recently released Xeons with a new bus speed.

Anyway, last I checked Xeons could have the multiplier reduced if you have a board that supports a higher bus speed. But I haven't checked in a LONG time.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
AFAIK that is the Nancona a 3.6 GHz sever chip with EMT64 (intel's version of 64bit) yet only 1 meg cache yet 800 FSB.

I think it's safe to say a Pentium M overclocked to 2.4 beating everything is somewhat misleading. The pentium M is a great chip especialy in low power, I belive Intel will enhance this chip and take it to new levels although that is just a guess.

RichPLS

Champion
Some people have gotten this CPU to 3.0GHz, at which point it's STILL consuming less power than AMD's top processors, while outperforming everything by a wide margin.
Wasn't he referring to o/c'd at 3.0GHz?

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Nope,

There is no Pentium M at 2.4 GHZ only over clocked. and people have overclocked a64's to 3 GHz so that is silly. I believe the max stock for Dothan (PM) is 2.2GHz

SO

<<OK, I've seen some articles. The Pentium-M at 2.4GHz beats everything.>>

Can't be right (well article anyway) at least when talking about raw performance. On a per watt performance it could be forsure over the P4 or any amd cpu, but then like I said transmetta owns that area and Pentium M owns the 12 - 25 watt area but not the performance crown.

RichPLS

Champion
It would be funny if Intel's new secret weapon for the desktop turned out to be a hyped up Pentium M running at 3+GHz and dual core

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Just to be clear 12 - 25 watt is the sweet spot. At least in my opinion for notebooks. Transmetta might offer lower power longer battery but it is slower then the pentium M. If I was buying a low power nootebook today I'd take a very serious look at the pentium M.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I'm not so sure it will be hyped but I got a feeling that is what the future holds. Pentium M at 3GHz would be one heck of a performer. Problem is the on die memory controller for dual core. I'm sure intel could pull that off but then how do they charge companies royalties to make motherboards for them? Right now intel charges any company making a motherboard for a p4 cpu a royalty do to the quad pump patent. Get rid of the northbridge and go with on-die memory (hypertransport) and no patent or 6% tax revenue.

It's kinda catch 22 yet inevitable.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, like I said I didn't consider overclocked desktop CPUs (because of the power issue he was asking about) and simply overlooked server-class desktop CPUs (because of the price I always overlook those). So yes, it would be far better to say "The first performance data I saw on an overclocked Dothan at 2.4GHz showed it beating all standard-market desktop CPUs." And then complicate things further by saying "See the article at Syopt for other comparisons".

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
<<Well, like I said I didn't consider overclocked desktop CPUs (because of the power issue he was asking about) and simply overlooked server-class desktop CPUs (because of the price I always overlook those).>>

Fair enough, So if we only overclock the Pentium M and uninclude all AMD sever chips and just for the heck of it uninclude the desktop fx55 which runs at < 2.6GHz > ((( stock))) , does the ""overclocked"" Pentium M at 2.4GHz beat the desktop a64 4000+ which runs stock 2.4 GHZ in raw performance?
If so
Link please I'd love to see it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that.

Haha, it was several weeks ago when someone pointed me to the article, I know you don't want to google it, so we'll just keep the dialog open and hope that whoever posted the link will speak up.

Of course DFI will point out that their desktop Pentium-M board with the CPU at 2.8GHz beats the 4000+ and 3.4EE, but that's not very helpfull. So Aopen claims there P-M board with the CPU at a measly 1.7GHz outperforms the P4 3.0GHz. Now you have a range until the person with the link to the original overclocker's site comes in and leads us to their results.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Were you replying to me? or just cause I was the last person to post in this thread?

Very confusing to say the least, cause I cannot figure out who you are talking too or who dave is or what DFI is.

My appologies if you were talking to someone else.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, Dave was the last remaining pilot in 2001: A Space Odyssey, after HAL (the computer) became psychotic over being programed to lie. It's a famous quote!

DFI is a motherboard maker, Diamond Flower, and one of the manufacturers mentioned repeatedly in the P-M desktop article at Sysopt.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
OK movies sit coms aside , that's it. no link.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said, you can check out the article at Sysopt.

As for the overclockering forum, no I don't remember which forum it was, but I HOPE whoever linked me there will do so again.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/articles/desktoppentiumm/index.html" target="_new">Here</A> is the link Crashman failed to provide, happy now? Some people come up with any excuse not to accept the truth.